Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions I知 glad the G20 brings back the solid door feel

06-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #45
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
F30 was so cheaply built.
Disagree. Please back up your point.
Went from a base e90 to a fully loaded f30 and the first thing I noticed was the cheapness compared to the e90. More plastics all around is the big one. I wouldn't say it was "so cheaply made". I think the quality non plastic materials used is really good.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #46
calllka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I agree that shutting the door sounds more metal than on F30, but I didn稚 think of it as better sounding, just different. What does drive me crazy however, is how often I shut the door and it doesn稚 fully shut. I feel like I have to use a lot more force to shut it, compared to F30, and I hate slamming doors. Does anyone feel that you have to almost slam the door? Or maybe it痴 the different, more metal sound, that makes me feel like I知 slamming....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #47
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by calllka View Post
I agree that shutting the door sounds more metal than on F30, but I didn’t think of it as better sounding, just different. What does drive me crazy however, is how often I shut the door and it doesn’t fully shut. I feel like I have to use a lot more force to shut it, compared to F30, and I hate slamming doors. Does anyone feel that you have to almost slam the door? Or maybe it’s the different, more metal sound, that makes me feel like I’m slamming....
I can't say I've noticed any extra effort required to shut the doors on the G20 compared with my previous M235. It does sound more solid when the door shuts though...a more satisfying sound that seems like quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #48
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Sit in an E90 then in an F30. There's noticeably cheaper materials in the cabin, particularly in the center console.

This topic has been beaten to death on Bimmerpost, everybody is in agreement.

Really? I've never heard of this before.

Obviously, I disagree that the f30/f80 was poorly built. The e90 did feel heavier (because it was), but nothing to mention about superior build quality. The f30/f80 is a solid 3 series.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      10-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #49
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
There seems to be a lot of differing opinions based on what people are associating with cheapness.

It seems primarily to be around "cheap" being associated with sometimes build quality or sometimes materials used and or sometimes how dated the interior feels.

My 2 cents...

I think over time, most cars' interiors will feel dated. The F30's interior certainly feels dated today compared to other cars most especially the G20.

I've never owned an E90, but I just recently switched from an F30 340i to a G20 M340i. I would say there are definitely some lower quality (hard plastic) materials on the F30. For example, the center tunnel area below the center console has some really hard plastics - if you run your fingernails over it, it feels cheap and it also has a really hollow sound to it if you tap on it. It was a bit of a shock to me, prior to that I was in a 2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport and that had a really nice interior, almost everything you touched felt really high quality and even some places you wouldn't normally touch felt really nice.

The overall build quality (how well it was put together) was not an issue, the car was put together solidly.

The G20 on the other hand seems like an improvement overall over the F30 for the quality of materials. The build quality is just as good (both were really well built) - but the materials chosen were more well thought out on the G20 imho.

There are still some cheaper materials and some questionable choices - such as the center console buttons that are a single piece (selecting a drive mode like sport or comfort feel like they are all the same overall button with something below the skin figuring out where you are applying pressure) - it is annoying from a usability perspective too since I could change drive modes without looking with the F30's rocker switch but on the G20 I usually have to look down.

Overall though - from a materials perspective, I would take the G20 over the F30. It feels like a step up over the F30.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Disagree. Please back up your point.
Sit in an E90 then in an F30. There's noticeably cheaper materials in the cabin, particularly in the center console.

This topic has been beaten to death on Bimmerpost, everybody is in agreement.
I'm not. I felt as though the F30 quality was as good as, if not better than, the E9X. I never had quality issues with either car, and I never felt like one was cheaper than the other.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #51
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Went from a base e90 to a fully loaded f30 and the first thing I noticed was the cheapness compared to the e90. More plastics all around is the big one. I wouldn't say it was "so cheaply made". I think the quality non plastic materials used is really good.
Disagree completely, E9X styling and design were so lackluster, materials weren't really something to write home about either. Love my F30 in contrast. Source: had both, for a while, even had both at the same time.
      10-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #52
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Disagree completely, E9X styling and design were so lackluster, materials weren't really something to write home about either. Love my F30 in contrast. Source: had both, for a while, even had both at the same time.
There's literally more plastics in the f30. Materials are on par/the same. To each his own I'm just saying the e90 felt more together. Less rattles. The f30 is a nicer place to sit as it's more modern and has more tech but overall this is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0