Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions When do the laser headlights actually illuminate?

10-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

When do the laser headlights actually illuminate?

Mine has it and I have it all set to automatically turn on the lights when dark, switch high beams on/off, etc.

It’s my understanding that the laser light only activate above a certain speed but when driving from lower speed to higher with the high beams on I never notice a difference which would indicate that the laser lights are activated.

Am I not understanding how they work? For example, are different lights used for high beams at lower speeds or is it the lasers for all high beams?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

My limited understanding is what are are saying and there are laser high beams and LED high beams. Lasers come on above 40 mph or something like that. I rarely drive where I need high beams but I have seen the lasers once and they are incredibly bright and sort of create a sparkle effect on some reflective surfaces. The LED beams I have seen on my neighborhood and they are more "normal" appearing high beams.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
My limited understanding is what are are saying and there are laser high beams and LED high beams. Lasers come on above 40 mph or something like that. I rarely drive where I need high beams but I have seen the lasers once and they are incredibly bright and sort of create a sparkle effect on some reflective surfaces. The LED beams I have seen on my neighborhood and they are more "normal" appearing high beams.
In your opinion, was the premium paid worth it considering that the laser lights are rarely activated?
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      10-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
In your opinion, was the premium paid worth it considering that the laser lights are rarely activated?
Good question, especially since those of us in North America doesn't get that cool blue hue within the daytime running lights.

That was the biggest selling point of laser lights, at least to me.. :
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, that’s to be determined based on the answer to my questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Quote:
I went with the exec pack for the aesthetics. I strongly do not like the appearance of the other headlight options. So I bought for looks and function is a bonus.
Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      10-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I went with the exec pack for the aesthetics. I strongly do not like the appearance of the other headlight options. So I bought for looks and function is a bonus.
Got it! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #8
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My high beams are very bright but I have yet to see a change from below xx speed and above.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      10-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

I see the high beam support from the laser light activated above 50km/h. On motorways it stays a lot on and switches of parts of the road, depending where other cars are driving. Still glad I selected the laser light option (including the blue hue, EU spec)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Poochie
United_States
Rep

BMW sure knows how to market a product.

After the videos below, I'm convinced I want and need me some laser lights!

If they want to throw in an automobile to attach them to, I guess I'll take that also

Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 04:21 AM   #11
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

It’s an excellent feature if driving on any backroads. It’s incredibly bright and shuts down automatically at oncoming lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #12
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep

From the manual:

Laser high beams

When the high beams are switched-on, starting
with a speed of approx. 37 mph/60 km/h, the laser
high beams in the headlight are automatically
switched on in addition to the LED high beams.

So last night I did some quick tests. I turn off the High-beam Assistant and just activated the high means manually. Starting at 0 MPH I drove up to 50 MPH and didn't notice any change in brightness. However when I had the High-beam Assistant turned back on they were much brighter.

I'll need to play around some more with it since I'm not sure when they activate and why.
Appreciate 2
Seaford1147.50
      10-14-2019, 07:10 AM   #13
Deltusurf
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic White 650i, 2020 M340i

Garage List
2013 BMW 650i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Good question, especially since those of us in North America doesn't get that cool blue hue within the daytime running lights.

I'm in North America and I have blue in my headlights. It's different, but it's there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #14
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
From the manual:

Laser high beams

When the high beams are switched-on, starting
with a speed of approx. 37 mph/60 km/h, the laser
high beams in the headlight are automatically
switched on in addition to the LED high beams.

So last night I did some quick tests. I turn off the High-beam Assistant and just activated the high means manually. Starting at 0 MPH I drove up to 50 MPH and didn't notice any change in brightness. However when I had the High-beam Assistant turned back on they were much brighter.

I'll need to play around some more with it since I'm not sure when they activate and why.
Likely more noticeable in EU spec. I will say best headlights I have had
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltusurf View Post
Quote:

I'm in North America and I have blue in my headlights. It's different, but it's there.
Well, that looks nothing like the photos I've seen of the E.U. spec variants.

They obviously disable the "blue" within the headlights of all US-bound vehicles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, that looks nothing like the photos I've seen or the E.U. spec. They obviously disable the "blue" within the headlights of the US bound vehicles.
It's likely due to the lighting restrictions. Forward facing blue/red lights are reserved for police/emergency vehicles.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      10-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #17
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, that looks nothing like the photos I've seen or the E.U. spec. They obviously disable the "blue" within the headlights of the US bound vehicles.
It's likely due to the lighting restrictions. Forward facing blue/red lights are reserved for police/emergency vehicles.
Yes, I figure that; the NYPD over here recently added blue LEDs to their patrol cars, so I totally get that.

But they look so bad ass, what a shame..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I figure that; the NYPD over here recently added blue LEDs to their patrol cars, so I totally get that.

But they look so bad ass, what a shame..
We've been using blue LED's here in Cali forever. We had them on CHP vehicles when I was with that department, and we have them on our vehicles with my current department. Silly NYPD trying to act like trend setters. We set the trends here in California.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
You're right - they're there in mine too, but they never light up.

I would love to know if its possible to code illuminating the blue lights in the headlights. I know its possible to code anti-dazzle into the Laser light headlights, but right now those in the know won't publish a guide on how to do it (they want to charge you money to remotely code it).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Quote:
You're right - they're there in mine too, but they never light up.

I would love to know if its possible to code illuminating the blue lights in the headlights. I know its possible to code anti-dazzle into the Laser light headlights, but right now those in the know won't publish a guide on how to do it (they want to charge you money to remotely code it).
Do you want that citation? As long as you accept that risk, are good with paying the fine (...higher or lower depending on whether or not the officer makes it a correctable violation or not), and don't lambast the officer for citing you, I suppose to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #21
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you want that citation? As long as you accept that risk, are good with paying the fine (...higher or lower depending on whether or not the officer makes it a correctable violation or not), and don't lambast the officer for citing you, I suppose to each their own.
Do you always do the speed limit? If so, then you're a better person than I am

But this is why I want to be able to code it myself - to try it out and if it is really bright, I can turn it back off. If it is subtle and not too bright, I'm not sure it would be really noticeable while driving behind the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #22
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BTW- It could be the pictures - but it looks like the G05 X5 with Laser Lights has the illuminated blue in the headlight in USDM trim...

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/01/28/t...rias-best-suv/

Appreciate 0