Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions When do the laser headlights actually illuminate?

10-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #23
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Well, that looks nothing like the photos I've seen of the E.U. spec variants.

They obviously disable the "blue" within the headlights of all US-bound vehicles.
Thats not a G20

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #24
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Do you want that citation? As long as you accept that risk, are good with paying the fine (...higher or lower depending on whether or not the officer makes it a correctable violation or not), and don't lambast the officer for citing you, I suppose to each their own.
Do you always do the speed limit? If so, then you're a better person than I am

But this is why I want to be able to code it myself - to try it out and if it is really bright, I can turn it back off. If it is subtle and not too bright, I'm not sure it would be really noticeable while driving behind the headlights.
Nope, I sure don't. Nobody does.
There's rarely one car on the freeway that's driving the posted limit. We don't even really start considering issuing citations until a motorist is 10+mph over the posted limit.

As for the blue....

....if it's noticeable, a State Trooper/CHP Officer/traffic designated Sheriff's Deputy/cop will notice at some point and cite you for it, or at least use it for RS to pull you over and investigate for other things (...tint, no front/rear plates, etc.). Traffic infractions are the way to big busts. My only purpose in making that earlier statement is because people will decide to do certain things that they know are illegal, but berate the cops for catching them. I was just saying do so at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
Well, that looks nothing like the photos I've seen of the E.U. spec variants.

They obviously disable the "blue" within the headlights of all US-bound vehicles.
Thats not a G20
Thanks, I knew that..

It was an example of how "blue" laser lights look in general..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #26
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BTW- It could be the pictures - but it looks like the G05 X5 with Laser Lights has the illuminated blue in the headlight in USDM trim...

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/01/28/t...rias-best-suv/

[img]https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/u...0i-9-of-46.jpg[/img]
That's not actually blue like the Euro-spec laser lights because the wavelength of the light is actually a bright white color.

The laser that products the light output might physically appear blue but the color spectrum it products is still white and leaves no doubt of its true, intended hue.

I've read the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for headlamps and it says that yellow, amber or white color spectrum for frontal headlamps are the only colors allowed.

Some HID/LEDs lamps that are very white have a white-bluish color which there is an exception in the law to allow for this but actual blue color is not OK and if a manufacture doesn't comply, the US Customs and DOT can potentially block the import or sale of such vehicles until corrected.

BMW is not going to chance losing sales just for something as silly as unapproved headlight color.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      10-15-2019, 02:25 AM   #27
dgg_bimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Here it is laser version in Europe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25022.00
Poochie9104.50
gp_solo2190.50
      10-15-2019, 03:19 AM   #28
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Link to interesting vid about g20 laser light

Didn't found anything more informative, but is in German 🇩🇪
Poochie9104.50
      01-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #29
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Here is an US vs EU laser light comparison for the G20. Unless we can code the RGB color (doubtful), then no blue for us

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #30
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

If only there were a way to code out the hideous warning label in the housing.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #31
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Blue is clearly visible on mine when driving with side lights but not so visible with main beam.

Looks even better with clean headlights!

Damn road salt and white cars don't mix
Attached Images

BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #32
mx125
Rep
Drives: M340i

I think some are confusing anti-dazzle with laser . I'm in Canada. I had the anti dazzle coded. Amazing. Dynamic . .huge benefit. However, still can't detect any change in output over 37mph. On rural dark road, auto HB engaged and HB on), and yet I don't see a change as I move through the speed threshold. Great lights … but very confused. Does anyone know if 1) lasers only engage with auto HB (vs manual on) and 2) is it related/tied to the 5AC anti dazzle coding and 3) is the NA distance crippling something that can be coded separately?
I will try to find a video of strictly "Laser" engagement. I have only seen videos of the dynamic lighting of anti-dazzle.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #33
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Blue is clearly visible on mine when driving with side lights but not so visible with main beam.

Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #34
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx125 View Post
I think some are confusing anti-dazzle with laser . I'm in Canada. I had the anti dazzle coded. Amazing. Dynamic . .huge benefit. However, still can't detect any change in output over 37mph. On rural dark road, auto HB engaged and HB on), and yet I don't see a change as I move through the speed threshold. Great lights … but very confused. Does anyone know if 1) lasers only engage with auto HB (vs manual on) and 2) is it related/tied to the 5AC anti dazzle coding and 3) is the NA distance crippling something that can be coded separately?
I will try to find a video of strictly "Laser" engagement. I have only seen videos of the dynamic lighting of anti-dazzle.
The laser section (increased beam throw) of the headlights activates around 40mph, if it senses no vehicles ahead.

You have the option to manually overwriting the high-beams controls, which would only activates the standard LEDs, if the conditions above is not met, for the laser feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #35
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Those of us here in the US are SOL, until the DOT enters the 21st century.
NO anti-dazzle function, NO Dynamic Spot Lightning, Lasers are also capped at about the same range as the LEDs. And its not just BMW, Audi and Merc have the same issues. You see these cool Youtube videos, only to find out none of the cool new tech is allowed in the US
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #36
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post

Where are you located?
Uk
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #37
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Quote:
The laser section (increased beam throw) of the headlights activates around 40mph, if it senses no vehicles ahead.

You have the option to manually overwriting the high-beams controls, which would only activates the standard LEDs, if the conditions above is not met, for the laser feature.
The point of this thread is none of us notice any difference at 40 mph or at any speed during any condition.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #38
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Quote:

The point of this thread is none of us notice any difference at 40 mph or at any speed during any condition.
That's a shame and very perplexing..

I don't have Laser lights so I can't comment but my only assumption behind this claim of inadequacy is if it's a US-spec vehicle, the regulatory bodies in charge vehicle lighting probably watered-down the technology to merely just bragging rights, as they are real sticklers for the rules.

This video might shed some light:

You guys are not the only ones with this issue, it seems to be a common consensus amongst other owners, regarding its lack of operation:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1592918
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #39
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
After watching that german video I can confirm that my US laser lights are not that bright. I was out on a very dark night on a country road and nothing I did made a difference in my auto high beam vs manual high beam brightness. I literally noticed zero difference toggling them.

Note this was with 5AC decoded
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #40
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
After watching that german video I can confirm that my US laser lights are not that bright. I was out on a very dark night on a country road and nothing I did made a difference in my auto high beam vs manual high beam brightness. I literally noticed zero difference toggling them.

Note this was with 5AC decoded
Glad I didn’t waste money on the lasers...the regular high beams aren’t that great either. It can’t be a prohibitive regulation bc even the IIHS sets a 500 foot threshold to achieve a “good” rating for high beam output. Plenty of cars meet or exceed it. I just don’t see the reasoning on why BMW would purposely limit the output of the adaptive led high beams. If the sole reason is to get people to pay for lasers- that’s just sad and pathetic. And for those in the US looks like a moot point anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 12:13 AM   #41
looper_531
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: BMW G28 325Li M Sport

Quote:
You're right - they're there in mine too, but they never light up.

I would love to know if its possible to code illuminating the blue lights in the headlights. I know its possible to code anti-dazzle into the Laser light headlights, but right now those in the know won't publish a guide on how to do it (they want to charge you money to remotely code it).
Is that possible to code the blue lights in the headlights back?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #42
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i have the laser in my country. the blue accent is sometimes there sometimes not there.

i have a feeling when it's daytime running lights or park lights only it will have blue, no blue when headlights are in actual use.

didn't pay too much attention, just thought I'd put it out there

laser lights come on when you have turned it to auto with the bottom button on the light stick.

comes on when the sky is dark. if the sky has sunlight it won't come on no matter how dark the road is, vice versa.

laser lights also not super amazing, more marketing than anything. i don't see anything beyond about 20 m from when the laser light first touches the road. beyond that nothing other than cat eyes light up. it could be though that the m340i is so low to the ground the laser light bounces off rather than reflects. but then i should see the trees but i don't see the trees a quarter mile away. who knows. probably just have badly aging old eyes.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 01:32 AM   #43
jiimmmayyy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Quote:
BTW- It could be the pictures - but it looks like the G05 X5 with Laser Lights has the illuminated blue in the headlight in USDM trim...

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/01/28/t...rias-best-suv/

I think it's more of the DRL reflecting off the blue colored accents within the headlights
      07-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #44
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
In your opinion, was the premium paid worth it considering that the laser lights are rarely activated?
I have them and I think they are awesome. My last car had Xenon's but these are entirely next level.

Here in Australia driving in the "country" means no street lights at all, and small single lane roads. These lights are incredible. In a straight line they illuminate better than anything I've had - especially with the high beams. But the automation of cutting partial or all the high beams when other cars are around is so cool.

In everyday driving the side illumination while corning is very nice and in slow, very tight turning actual side lights illuminate the kerbs.

Now I have the little blue bar in mine - I thought it was just a coloring detail not an actual light, I didn't notice that it illuminated blue - I'll have to check this. Overall, they do give the car a cooler look - even with the lights off.

Overall really, really nice option in my opinion. Necessary - no, but I am REALLY glad I got them.
Appreciate 0