Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Just rented a new 330E-Thoughts on 3 series

01-31-2024, 05:20 AM   #1
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

Just rented a new 330E-Thoughts on 3 series

I currently own a 23 5 series and have rented many BMWs over the years in the US and Germany. Even the new 24 G60 5 series recently. I must admit, I was pretty blown away at how comfortable the sensatec seats (Sport is standard) were. My biggest complaint with BMW has been firm seats. Were the pre-LCI seats firmer or the same soft materials? The car seemed very well-balanced and a joy to drive. A few questions?

1) Is the Driver assistance professional package the same as the post-LCI G30? Mine works flawlessly. I assume it provides the orange flash in the steering wheel.

2) Ground clearance I assume is the same as a 530? Snow is a concern to me. My 530 does better than I expected owning several A6s and VW Sport Wagons.

3) Actual MPG? The E was helpful to me in the city but my actual highway mileage seems less than my 530 that pulls 35-37. Without the Electric you save 400 pounds but not sure if the actual highway MPG improves much.

4) When is the next full revision due on the 3 series? The 5 has grown so big (G60) that I assume they will make the 3 slightly smaller to an older 5 series on the next go-around. Not sure why car manufacturers feel it's important to grow dimensions with every revision.

5) Why the heck can't BMW bring the wagon over? It is the sexiest car in Europe. I think it would winning a lottery if they did.

I was impressed with the car in general (Missed the shifter knob) and the proper buttons for the climate control but can live with the shortcut menu on the screen (Not bad). On a longer highway drive it may have been a hair stiff on ride quality (Run flats suck). I assume it's a good highway cruiser comfort-wise? The new G60 is geared towards comfort but just seems a bit too big now.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 09:20 AM   #2
gorthol
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2021

Garage List
2021 BMW 330e  [0.00]
1) No idea, sorry.

2) Not sure compared with the 530, but the 330e's ride is a little higher than other G20's (I guess because of the battery weight).

3) MPG is pretty good for me. I've worsened the stock MPG a little by adding M Performance brakes, 19'' wheels a spoiler and JB4, but on long (+300kms) trips I still get around 41MPG at the legal speed here (120 kms/h or 74MPH), 36MPG at 83MPH and 28MPG at 96MPH. However, as you noted, on longer trips mileage will be slightly worse than the equivalent non-phev because of the weight. So it's probably not for somebody that do a lot of those. That is in long trips, on trips less than 150kms with the battery fully charged you can get 60-120MPG depending on the distance.

4) I think it's 2025 and I badly want a phev M340e or M345e with the B58.

5) Who knows.

Regarding comfort, mine's is on Bilstein B12 and Michelin PS4S* (non run flat) and I find the ride pretty good, but coming from a 5 series your standard is probably higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 09:50 AM   #3
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
4) a second LCI is due in July. Current production is scheduled through October 2026.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-31-2024, 11:06 AM   #4
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
5) Why the heck can't BMW bring the wagon over? It is the sexiest car in Europe. I think it would winning a lottery if they did.

I assume it's a good highway cruiser comfort-wise? The new G60 is geared towards comfort but just seems a bit too big now.
For whatever reason the US market just doesn't buy wagons. I guess maybe it's a cultural holdover from the 80's when wagons were stereotyped as boring family cars.

Yes, it rides fine after ditching the run flats.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:55 PM   #5
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
4) a second LCI is due in July. Current production is scheduled through October 2026.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686
There is an updated thread, G20 EOP is now projected to be 7/2027.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=ynguldyn
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 01:08 PM   #6
ByronWalter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

About those BMW 'estates'... over a three year period I bought two of them. They're great for kayaking duty. During that time my sales person claimed that the dealership had only sold one other wagon, hence a total of three with two of them to me alone. US sales of wagons is dismal and makes no business sense.

BTW, I think the fake leather upholstery is great, especially if you are sometimes wet. No interest in leather. It might have been state of the art 2000 years ago but not so much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 02:23 PM   #7
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
There is an updated thread, G20 EOP is now projected to be 7/2027.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=ynguldyn
Thank you!! That’s what I thought! I was surprised when I saw the 10/26 date! This is the thread I was looking for.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-31-2024, 08:13 PM   #8
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
3) Actual MPG? The E was helpful to me in the city but my actual highway mileage seems less than my 530 that pulls 35-37. Without the Electric you save 400 pounds but not sure if the actual highway MPG improves much. .....

On a longer highway drive it may have been a hair stiff on ride quality (Run flats suck). I assume it's a good highway cruiser comfort-wise? The new G60 is geared towards comfort but just seems a bit too big now.
If you want highway fuel economy, the 330i (RWD) can be fantastically economical. The 330e will be a lot better in town, though.

A recent 3-hour non-stop trip in my 330i MSport (staggered 19" Pirelli PZero RFTs) gave me 4.7l/100km. That's just over 50 mpg (US)/60 mpg (IMP) at an average speed of 93.6 kmh/58.2 mph. Combination of single-lane highway roads and freeway in light/medium traffic. Ran it in EcoPro on the freeway section, Adaptive otherwise. Pretty impressive.

My car has Adaptive suspension, and I find the ride quality on RFTs is acceptable, but we are blessed with fairly decent road surfaces in this State. Were I over east with poorly maintained roads (pointing at you, Sydney) I might find it too hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 04:40 AM   #9
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

Ride quality? Adaptive Suspension?

Do you find the non-M sport ride to be a bit firm on rougher roads compared to others in this class? Also, adaptive suspension, I assume is only available with M sport? Is the softer settings in that configuration more compliant than not ordering M Sport?
Appreciate 0