Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Scratched my new black m340i, what should I do?

01-21-2024, 11:35 PM   #1
Inact
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340i

Scratched my new black m340i, what should I do?

So I was washing my car and the hose touched against my car and scratched it. I think it’s a fine scratch because when I run my finger nail across it I barely feel any resistance only a super minor one. How do I get rid of this? I have seen people recommend ScratchX2.0 but wouldn’t that mean I would also need to polish and wax that area? And If i do won’t that spot look shinier or maybe just a little different from the rest of the car? Since it is a brand new car and there isn’t anything wrong with the cars paint and gloss in general, only had it for a month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 11:55 PM   #2
Drew Peacock
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
Touch up paint from the dealer would work
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:38 AM   #3
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

u may first try to polish it out by hand, e.g. 3M hand glaze should be ok.

If that does not work, then bring the car to a reputable detail shop and if the pros can buff it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:28 PM   #4
Vinbim
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xi

I discovered scratches on the hood of my brand new jet black 2023 BMW 330xi as soon as I got home from the dealership on my day of delivery. The dealership is 100 miles away and ghosted me when I reached out to them to resolve this. They did not respond to my numerous phone calls, texts, emails etc. for 3 days.

The scratches/hazing/hologramming were not visible under the lights inside the dealership, but were immediately visible when I got home underneath my garage LED lighting.

Frustrated, I scoured the internet and came across Turtle Wax Color Magic Jet Black Car Wax. They also make a polish, but I wanted to begin with as little initial impact as possible to the brand new clear coat, so I opted for the wax. Here's the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-Co...06Y6MDFJZ?th=1

I used brand new clean microfibers to apply it and very little pressure. Needless to say, it worked great and I now keep it in my detailing arsenal. (Before and after pics attached)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:33 PM   #5
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
Do you plan to get PPF or ceramic coating where they’ll do paint correction?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:58 PM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

That can be sorted with a machine polish assuming it’s not all the way through the clear coat . You can do it (tons of tutorials out there) or take it to a detailer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:01 PM   #7
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Ask a local body shop if they can buff it out for you. They may very well do it for free. It takes them about three minutes. I’ve had it done twice.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-22-2024, 02:39 PM   #8
zoso4534
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inact View Post
So I was washing my car and the hose touched against my car and scratched it. I think it’s a fine scratch because when I run my finger nail across it I barely feel any resistance only a super minor one. How do I get rid of this? I have seen people recommend ScratchX2.0 but wouldn’t that mean I would also need to polish and wax that area? And If i do won’t that spot look shinier or maybe just a little different from the rest of the car? Since it is a brand new car and there isn’t anything wrong with the cars paint and gloss in general, only had it for a month.
I wouldn't even worry about it. I bet you can hardly see it unless looking closely. I used to get upset about stuff like this, but it's a car. It's going to get scratched.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2024, 06:32 PM   #9
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Ask a local body shop if they can buff it out for you. They may very well do it for free. It takes them about three minutes. I’ve had it done twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso4534 View Post
I wouldn't even worry about it. I bet you can hardly see it unless looking closely. I used to get upset about stuff like this, but it's a car. It's going to get scratched.
I like my idea better.

01-23-2024, 12:41 PM   #10
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Please take this answer the right way... if you are asking how to remove the scratch you don't want to learn on your own car. Especially a black car.

Please go to a detailer. It is a simple fix and should not be expensive. If you plan on getting PPF or ceramic coating for your car, have them fix it at the same time. They might do it for free.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 02:29 AM   #11
Inact
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinbim View Post
I discovered scratches on the hood of my brand new jet black 2023 BMW 330xi as soon as I got home from the dealership on my day of delivery. The dealership is 100 miles away and ghosted me when I reached out to them to resolve this. They did not respond to my numerous phone calls, texts, emails etc. for 3 days.

The scratches/hazing/hologramming were not visible under the lights inside the dealership, but were immediately visible when I got home underneath my garage LED lighting.

Frustrated, I scoured the internet and came across Turtle Wax Color Magic Jet Black Car Wax. They also make a polish, but I wanted to begin with as little initial impact as possible to the brand new clear coat, so I opted for the wax. Here's the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-Co...06Y6MDFJZ?th=1

I used brand new clean microfibers to apply it and very little pressure. Needless to say, it worked great and I now keep it in my detailing arsenal. (Before and after pics attached)
wow that looks awesome can’t even tell the scratch is there, is this temporary and will it come off after a wash? also does it remove some of the gloss look of the car like o heard some compounds do
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:30 AM   #12
Inact
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Please take this answer the right way... if you are asking how to remove the scratch you don't want to learn on your own car. Especially a black car.

Please go to a detailer. It is a simple fix and should not be expensive. If you plan on getting PPF or ceramic coating for your car, have them fix it at the same time. They might do it for free.
I don’t plan on getting it PPFd or ceramic at the moment don’t want to spend that kind of money right now. And you’re right i def don’t want to mess anything up on a brand new m340i
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:32 AM   #13
Inact
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso4534 View Post
it’s been a few days and i’m less stressed about it, no one will notice it. it just sucks knowing it’s there and kinda hurts 😭
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:33 AM   #14
Inact
Rep

Quote:
I highly doubt anyone will do it for free for me, they’ll try to charge any chance they get
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:34 AM   #15
Inact
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
That can be sorted with a machine polish assuming it’s not all the way through the clear coat . You can do it (tons of tutorials out there) or take it to a detailer.
I’m afraid to mess up the new paint or make it look a little shinier or diff from the other parts of the car
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:35 AM   #16
Inact
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutoy View Post
Do you plan to get PPF or ceramic coating where they’ll do paint correction?
No plan as of yet
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:36 AM   #17
Inact
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
u may first try to polish it out by hand, e.g. 3M hand glaze should be ok.

If that does not work, then bring the car to a reputable detail shop and if the pros can buff it out.
I just don’t want to mess anything up
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:41 AM   #18
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inact View Post
I highly doubt anyone will do it for free for me, they’ll try to charge any chance they get
You never know. I live in the city in Chicago and it so happens there is a high end body shop right across the street from my condo building and they have buffed out two similar things for me and didn’t charge me a dime. This place only works on Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc. I’ve never seen anything like a Honda or Toyota in there. They are also so high end you’d never know they are doing all this body work behind their very nice facade. I guess I felt like I had to share that so you’d know I’m not talking about living in a junky, industrial area of Chicago. But, it’s not the Gold Coast either. Just a normal, north side neighborhood.

01-24-2024, 12:04 PM   #19
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You never know. I live in the city in Chicago and it so happens there is a high end body shop right across the street from my condo building and they have buffed out two similar things for me and didn’t charge me a dime. This place only works on Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc. I’ve never seen anything like a Honda or Toyota in there. They are also so high end you’d never know they are doing all this body work behind their very nice facade. I guess I felt like I had to share that so you’d know I’m not talking about living in a junky, industrial area of Chicago. But, it’s not the Gold Coast either. Just a normal, north side neighborhood.
What shop?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:14 PM   #20
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What shop?
North Shore Auto Rebuilders in Edgewater. https://www.northshoreautorebuilders.com/

01-24-2024, 01:59 PM   #21
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
North Shore Auto Rebuilders in Edgewater. https://www.northshoreautorebuilders.com/
Always good to have shops like this in the back pocket.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:12 PM   #22
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Always good to have shops like this in the back pocket.

Thanks!
Having shared that I am going to have the front bumper replaced on my F30 once spring arrives in Chicago and I’m probably not going to use them, because they had the highest estimate. I’m going to use either The Body Shop of Barrington http://www.tbsbarrington.com/ or Knauz BMW CCRC https://www.knauz.com/service-center...ing-center.htm . Barrington in particular gets very good recommendations from the folks on the Windy City BMW CCA chapter Facebook group page.

I recently found out Knauz BMW has an online parts store that has better prices than pretty much anyone else anywhere, so I’m hoping to use that information to get them to bring down their estimate some. I’m not sure their body shop guy I spoke with a while back is aware of this. I mentioned Orland Park BMW has an online store with a lower price for the bumper than he used on their repair quote and he said they have to use the parts quote their parts department gives them. This was before I knew about their online store. And their online store has even better pricing than Orland Park’s online store. We’ll see if I’m successful.

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-25-2024 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 1