Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Transmission issues(?) after Adaptive Transmission Reset

01-30-2024, 03:45 PM   #1
DrumkingNL
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-series (G20, 2021)

I have a question regarding the ZF8 automatic transmission. I own a 2021 BMW G20 (318i) with 75,000 km/47,000 mi for several months now. I went to the BMW dealer with a request to perform an adaptive throttle reset, but they performed an adaptive transmission reset instead. This happened a month and 1000 km ago now.

In the beginning the gearbox shifted very hard because it had to be relearned. This eventually got better, but there are still two things that I notice about the ZF8 transmission because I am now a bit focused on it.

1. When the engine is cold, shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 is a little harder than normal (after 2 minutes of driving it goes a lot smoother)

2. When the car slows down while braking or when you let it roll without accelerating, I feel that the car is braking with the engine while downshifting (You can feel the downshifts cause of the engine braking)

Can you please tell me if these two things are normal or not? I don't know if the car always did this because I didn't have my focus on it, but now I do! 😣

And what do you think of Adaptive Transmission Reset? Can it harm the gearbox?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read the story! Please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 04:16 PM   #2
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

2 is definitely normal

1 depends on what you mean by hard shift when cold, probably normal
Appreciate 0