Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Coding off VSS

01-24-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Coding off VSS

Has anyone tried disabling VSS to use fixed steering ratio?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:33 AM   #2
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Has anyone tried disabling VSS to use fixed steering ratio?
This is not possible due to the fact that the "variable" part of the steering ratio is purely mechanical, not electronic. The teeth on the rack are spaced in an uniform fashion.
Near the straight ahead position, the teeth/gears are more widely spaced. As you turn the wheel right or left from center, the teeth are spaced progressively closer together (upto a certain point).

This gives a slower/less direct ratio when traveling straight ahead, yet gives a faster/more direct ratio as the steering wheel is turned.

The only thing that is varied electronically is steering effort, response, return to center, and filtering of feedback from the road. The variable ratio always remains.

To be honest, I think BMW needs a different steering rack for Autobahn/non Autobahn countries. BMW uses the variable rack to make the steering responsive in corners, while avoiding straight line twitchiness at high speeds. This is a legitimate concern on the Autobahn, where a too quick ratio (combined with those high speeds) will make the car dart about in response to even small or unintentional steering inputs.

But in the US, you'd be hard pressed to find a speed limit higher than 80mph.
Here, I would prefer a quicker rack at all times, completely discarding of the variable component.

BMW does have an Active Steering system that does vary the ratio electronically. But this is not found on the G20 3 series.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9106.00
      01-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Thank you for the detailed response.
I was hoping for a different answer but at least now I know there is no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
This is not possible due to the fact that the "variable" part of the steering ratio is purely mechanical, not electronic. The teeth on the rack are spaced in an uniform fashion.
Near the straight ahead position, the teeth/gears are more widely spaced. As you turn the wheel right or left from center, the teeth are spaced progressively closer together (upto a certain point).

This gives a slower/less direct ratio when traveling straight ahead, yet gives a faster/more direct ratio as the steering wheel is turned.

The only thing that is varied electronically is steering effort, response, return to center, and filtering of feedback from the road. The variable ratio always remains.

To be honest, I think BMW needs a different steering rack for Autobahn/non Autobahn countries. BMW uses the variable rack to make the steering responsive in corners, while avoiding straight line twitchiness at high speeds. This is a legitimate concern on the Autobahn, where a too quick ratio (combined with those high speeds) will make the car dart about in response to even small or unintentional steering inputs.

But in the US, you'd be hard pressed to find a speed limit higher than 80mph.
Here, I would prefer a quicker rack at all times, completely discarding of the variable component.

BMW does have an Active Steering system that does vary the ratio electronically. But this is not found on the G20 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Thank you for the detailed response.
I was hoping for a different answer but at least now I know there is no way.
You are welcome.
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you may be able to employ other methods to reach your goal.

Do you find the ratio too quick or too slow?
Are you looking for better steering feel in general?
What would you like the car to do differently?

Let me know, and I'll see if I can point you in the direction of some cost effective solutions.
Appreciate 0