Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Just over 2000 miles and my M340i already needs a quart of oil

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #23
PandaMobile
Private First Class
PandaMobile's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i TB II
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
I since having the initial time that I had to put oil in. I took it in and it needed oil that time too. Last week I had to take it in to top off the oil again. It's in service right now. I did also notice that the motor is idling rough. I will see what the SA says.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #24
EXE46
Lieutenant
EXE46's Avatar
United_States
520
Rep
506
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: State of Dystopia

iTrader: (0)

I am at 2600 miles and so far no oil warning, hope it stays that way since I am not accustom to that.

Ps. Note, I treat my leases as I would if I owned the car and there are others like myself out there.
__________________
Prior's: E36, E46 x2
Appreciate 1
sikotic114.50

      10-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #25
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
Dog Face Pony Soldier's Avatar
United_States
8243
Rep
5,991
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
I am over 100,000 miles and my N55's oil indicator has never moved. I'd like to think it's because I broke it in prudently, but I really have zero idea if that's actually why.

Have you ever seen what kind of consumption manufacturers call normal? Pasted below is the guideline for FCA's US gasoline engines for MY 2012-2016...

Quote:
Oil Consumption

**The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 1 quart in 2,000 miles for the 1st 50,000 miles. For vehicles with more then 50,000 miles the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 1 quart in 750 miles.**
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #26
Delta5
Private
38
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Mine just had its 10k mile service. Oil level still indicated max the day before I took it in.

This is my fourth BMW; F22, F25, G01, G20. None have burned oil.
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #27
nola2atx
Private First Class
nola2atx's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Important update guys!

I brought mine in for the low oil issue and it turned out my oil level sensor was bad and needs to be replaced!

Don't just add oil and assume it's fine! Bring it in!
__________________
///M340i Portimão

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #28
tturedraider
Colonel
tturedraider's Avatar
943
Rep
2,635
Posts

Drives: 2006 Sonora E90 330i sport pkg
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Texas & Tennessee)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
Important update guys!

I brought mine in for the low oil issue and it turned out my oil level sensor was bad and needs to be replaced!

Don't just add oil and assume it's fine! Bring it in!
Biggest reason there is to keep the damn dipstick!!
__________________

www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:38 PM   #29
EXE46
Lieutenant
EXE46's Avatar
United_States
520
Rep
506
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: State of Dystopia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta5 View Post
Mine just had its 10k mile service. Oil level still indicated max the day before I took it in.

This is my fourth BMW; F22, F25, G01, G20. None have burned oil.
10K already, when did you take delivery?
__________________
Prior's: E36, E46 x2
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #30
Delta5
Private
38
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta5 View Post
Mine just had its 10k mile service. Oil level still indicated max the day before I took it in.

This is my fourth BMW; F22, F25, G01, G20. None have burned oil.
10K already, when did you take delivery?
Back in May. One of the first M340i's my local dealer received.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #31
GMatrix
New Member
United_States
8
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2019 330i xDrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathys View Post
Except for pure M engines, I think breaking in the engine is not needed anymore with current production methods.

Just my 2 cents though.
I believe the new M2 has a break-in period of 1.2k. The car limits your driving until afterward.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #32
senderhomes
Private
senderhomes's Avatar
22
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340I
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Honestly OP I would take it back man, piston rings probably.. go get a new motor lol there's no reason it should be burning that much oil this early,
Mine is at 2900 and I got the warning today. Said 1 quart low. Came home and when i turned back on the oil indicator was off. I also could not measure oil. Greyed our when i tried to do it... confused
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 11:58 PM   #33
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
33
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 08BMW335xia22
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWm340ixC1X View Post
I have no reason to lie but I'm not going out his name out here either, it's your choice to believe it or not (though I'm not saying it was like 20k or anything like that I honestly don't remember how much he got back but anything back from BMW would be )... wasn't quite the point I was trying to make but hey I'm definitely not expecting everyone to get it anyways
Why would a dealership pay anything to a lessee returning a car that doesn't even belong to the dealer? If you're not making it up then your friend is. The only time I get money back is if I return the car with considerably less miles than contracted for. And even then it's a credit to the account, not cash back
These cars are mass produced with planned obsolescence built in. There is nothing special about them to obsess over
I didn't realize you were the one that posted the self centered,asinine comment to begin with. I owe you nothing. Call it BS,call me liar but your words are meaningless especially coming from the type of person you are. If anyone respectable cares enough to ask me I'll explain how he got the equity , but for you , I care about what you say the same as you care about the next person....


Nothing
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #34
senderhomes
Private
senderhomes's Avatar
22
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340I
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
Important update guys!

I brought mine in for the low oil issue and it turned out my oil level sensor was bad and needs to be replaced!

Don't just add oil and assume it's fine! Bring it in!
Ummm that's scary... just added a quart ....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #35
nola2atx
Private First Class
nola2atx's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Hopefully you guys don't need new oil sensor like me. Looks like I'll be without my car for a month
__________________
///M340i Portimão

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #36
PandaMobile
Private First Class
PandaMobile's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i TB II
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
Hopefully you guys don't need new oil sensor like me. Looks like I'll be without my car for a month
I would consult with a lemon law lawyer.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #37
hockeymen14
Private First Class
90
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: 07' 328i e90 sport package
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Gulfport, FL

iTrader: (0)

6,800 miles and 7 months of ownership and light came on this evening. Topped it off and good to go. I'll mention it when I'm in for my 10k service in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #38
iwalkfastonsidewalks
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: '20 m340xi
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

What kind of oil would you use to top off? Per the manual, it says 0W-20 or 0W-30. Under the hood it says 0W-20. If I search for a random 0W-20 oil online (e.g. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...nid=10271607-P), it never "fits" the G20 m340xi. Is it just because their data is not up to date?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST