Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Just ordered a G20 M340i

11-14-2019, 01:52 AM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Just ordered a G20 M340i

Just signed up for a G20 M340i.
I had spent a week test driving cars and then spent the weekend stressing out which one to buy.
The Audi S4 and the Mercedes C43 came close, but the M340 won out for me.
Coming from an F30 335, you might say I was biased, but I tried to be subjective. The Merc was very, very close, but the sheer drivability of the M340 won the day. The M340 punches out of the corners better than the Merc.
There were several things on the Merc I really liked, eg, the front end styling, the seats, the super clear HUD with a great rev counter and gear display.

I requested a January 2020 build so I will have a long wait until the beast arrives in March/April. Good job I’m a patient man.

Essentially, I ordered an M340 in Sunset Orange with Tartufo Merino leather and open pore maple trim (I wanted to get away from silver with black interior which I had in my last three cars!), M-tech package (bigger brakes and upgraded cooling), visibility package (sunroof, fricking lasers etc) and OEM aero kit (front and rear spoilers and diffuser).

The wait begins.........
      11-15-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I had spent a week test driving cars and then spent the weekend stressing out which one to buy.
Coming from an F30 335, you might say I was biased, but I tried to be subjective. The Merc was very, very close, but the sheer drivability of the M340 won the day. The M340 punches out of the corners better than the Merc.
There were several things on the Merc I really liked, eg, the front end styling, the seats, the super clear HUD with a great rev counter and gear display.

I requested a January 2020 build so I will have a long wait until the beast arrives in March/April. Good job I'm a patient man.

Essentially, I ordered an M340 in Sunset Orange with Tartufo Merino leather and open pore maple trim (I wanted to get away from silver with black interior which I had in my last three cars!), M-tech package (bigger brakes and upgraded cooling), visibility package (sunroof, fricking lasers etc) and OEM aero kit (front and rear spoilers and diffuser).

The wait begins.........
Congrats and enjoy the wait!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

Congrats.

I went with the AMG C43..mainly because we also bought an 2019 X3 M40i...so we wanted some variety in the garage.

I think BMW and Mercedes are doing the best job with these 6 cylinder cars and SUVs.

I think Audi has fallen back...we test drove drove the S4 and the SQ5 and neither ended up in our garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy340i View Post
Congrats.

I went with the AMG C43..mainly because we also bought an 2019 X3 M40i...so we wanted some variety in the garage.

I think BMW and Mercedes are doing the best job with these 6 cylinder cars and SUVs.

I think Audi has fallen back...we test drove drove the S4 and the SQ5 and neither ended up in our garage.
That sounds like a nice noisy garage u got there! I wouldn't have picked the Audis either EXCEPT for the RS6 avant - diff body but wow what a happy delirium (bar the price)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #5
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Quote:

I requested a January 2020 build so I will have a long wait until the beast arrives in March/April. Good job I’m a patient man.

The wait begins.........

So tempted to sale the 330i and upgrade only 12 later!

Very jealous!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy340i View Post
Congrats.

Yes indeed. BMW and Merc make very fine sixes. Both silky smooth.
You have a very enviable garage.
I absolutely loved the HUD in the C43. The car looks great, sounds great, has great seats, and drives beautifully. It was a very close call on my part (especially as “she who must be obeyed” really liked the look of the Merc). If it was for model longevity, I think I would have gone for the Merc, even though I have had Beemers for more than 20 years.
Having said that, the M340 is a weapon and is an absolute thrill to drive. It also is a bit more “techy” than the Merc is at the moment. I’m sure Merc will up the ante on the next model.
I agree with your comment on the S4. The car drove well, felt very well behaved and relaxed, and that for me was the problem. Although it performed faultlessly and was very predictable, it lacked a certain “Je ne sais qua”. There was not that thrill that I got from the Merc and the BMW. “Her at home” also didn’t like the styling, saying it was boring..
There you go....Beemer on order.....long wait ahead, but getting shorter day by day.
      11-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanberraG20 View Post
So tempted to sale the 330i and upgrade only 12 later!

Very jealous!
Don’t be jealous just yet. I still have a long wait ahead of me.

Enjoy your G20. It is a great car and a big improvement on the F30.
Such a good car, that it was voted COTY. That is something to be very proud of.
      11-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Beabeabeamer
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Got my m340i 2weeks ago
Goes great and haven’t noticed any bugs yet!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I’m green with envy!
It really is a weapon.......but with beautiful manners.
Perhaps you post a pic or two to make us all drool!

Tell me, did you option a Drive Recorder? I’m trying to find out how it affects the battery (if at all).
      11-24-2019, 01:41 AM   #10
Beabeabeamer
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I’m green with envy!

Tell me, did you option a Drive Recorder? I’m trying to find out how it affects the battery (if at all).
Here you go!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ikester192120.50
      11-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #11
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Whoa! Beautiful.....
Now I am looking like Shrek......very, very green!
      11-25-2019, 02:16 AM   #12
Beabeabeamer
Registered
Rep

Originally ordered tanzanite blue/merino leather but was looking at Jan/Feb delivery. Took this one earlier as didn’t feel like waiting having sold my golf R months earlier and rolling delivery promises seemed sketchy. Was not a fan of grey until I got this one. Still got leather upgrade and this is very good.
I'm not a fan of car dealers so went through a broker. On pickup I had to insist on software upgrade and wheel alignment and suggest other buyers do the same. Be informed, I’m not sure the dealers want anything more than a sale.
Very happy now!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 01:44 AM   #13
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabeabeamer View Post
Quote:
I'm green with envy!

Tell me, did you option a Drive Recorder? I'm trying to find out how it affects the battery (if at all).
Here you go!
Looks great!
Is it mineral or dravit - can't quite tell
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:53 AM   #14
Beabeabeamer
Registered
Rep

Mineral.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #15
Icejester
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord Euro

Loooks goood!
I think the Merino leather is worth it for the comfort.

Just wondering though, do you know the difference between the Exclusive Package for $3900 on the M340i and the Individual Full Merino Leather Trim for $5400?

It seems like the Exclusive Package includes the Full Merino Leather but for some reason is cheaper?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #16
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
The packages are generally cheaper than getting individual line items.
I guess that’s the whole point of BMW offering the packages.......to tempt us!
      03-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #17
pmunger
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Apparently you can't order Merino leather in Aus anymore with the shift in production to Mexico.

Lucky you got in early.
      03-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #18
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmunger View Post
Apparently you can't order Merino leather in Aus anymore with the shift in production to Mexico.

Lucky you got in early.
Wow!
This must be very disappointing for people wanting to order cars with merino leather.
I’m surprised BMW cannot fit merino leather in Mexico. Surely, it takes the same amount of work to fit both types of leather on the seats.
I’m fortunate I ordered my car when I did.

My car arrived in Fremantle yesterday, so should be sailing to Melbourne in the next day or so. Not too long to go now until it arrives in Adelaide. It’s been a long wait.
      03-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Nice Steve, looks like both of our cars are on the same ship - Prominent Ace right?

Mine's also Sunset Orange, but I opted for Ivory White Merino (old man spec lol).

I'm in Sydney so we'll probably get our cars around the same time if yours needs to be trucked from Melbourne. I sure hope that we don't end up with our cars in limbo in case they lock the country down because of Coronavirus
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #20
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
PJB
Yep, the Prominent Ace. Same ship. Interesting that you ordered the same colour as me and also with Merino leather. I read this morning that Merino leather will not be available when production moves to Mexico. Weird!
I see the ship docked in Fremantle yesterday, almost 24 hrs ago at the time writing. Its due to arrive in Melbourne 21st March.
Like you, I hope there are no problems with customs and Covid-19. There did not seem to be so many issues with Covid-19 back in early Feb when the cars were loaded on the ship. Let’s hope the crew are all free from the virus.
      03-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #21
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Here's hoping indeed!

Your car should arrive in Melbourne tomorrow. Go to the Prixcar website to track the VIN's progress once it leaves the ship.

In a covid-19 free world, it would take about 2 weeks to get the car ready for collection. It's possible that will still happen

Quote:
PJB
Yep, the Prominent Ace. Same ship. Interesting that you ordered the same colour as me and also with Merino leather. I read this morning that Merino leather will not be available when production moves to Mexico. Weird!
So weird, we have among the very few merino 3ers in the world I think!
Appreciate 1
SteveAus259.50
      03-21-2020, 11:11 PM   #22
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Here's hoping indeed!

Your car should arrive in Melbourne tomorrow. Go to the Prixcar website to track the VIN's progress once it leaves the ship.

In a covid-19 free world, it would take about 2 weeks to get the car ready for collection. It's possible that will still happen

So weird, we have among the very few merino 3ers in the world I think!
PBJ, many thanks for the Prixcar Website tip. Much appreciated.
I’ve found my car at a “dummy wharf in Melbourne”. I’m translating that as: it hasn’t arrived in Melbourne at the moment. It’s due to dock tomorrow, I believe.
This site will be very handy to see if the car is delayed in Melbourne for any length of time.

Your observation on merino clad 3ers is very interesting.
It hadn’t occurred to me that there will be so few made.
We have collectors items already, and we haven’t even received the cars yet! Hahaha.