Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Acura TLX Type-S vs. M340i

08-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #67
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Went to my local Acura dealer, and they have a White TLX Type-S sitting just outside their showroom... with a $12k+ markup on it (bunch of bs dealer protection stuff + the coveted "Fair Market Adjustment" line item stuck in the middle).

I really hope someone doesn't think the Type-S is worth $65k. You can get a loaded M340i for that price. These dealerships are crazy to sell these above MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #68
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
Went to my local Acura dealer, and they have a White TLX Type-S sitting just outside their showroom... with a $12k+ markup on it (bunch of bs dealer protection stuff + the coveted "Fair Market Adjustment" line item stuck in the middle).

I really hope someone doesn't think the Type-S is worth $65k. You can get a loaded M340i for that price. These dealerships are crazy to sell these above MSRP.
Did you tell the dealer to eat a dick? Lol. What a joke.
Appreciate 1
Ugly Kar414.50
      08-02-2021, 03:48 PM   #69
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:

A friend just bought a Civic Touring in SoCal for $37k out the door.

It is $29k MSRP + $4k extended warranty and maintenance + tax + fees. My friend wasn't happy when I told him my 330i was $40.5k out the door.

When I asked why extended warranty on a Honda, my friend said the dealer did not charge markup, but required F&I purchases to get "priority" allocation ....

This is slightly better than NorCal Honda dealers who charge $3k markup on Civic/Accord, and $10k markup on Odyssey.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #70
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

$10k markup on an Odyssey?? Good grief.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #71
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
A friend just bought a Civic Touring in SoCal for $37k out the door.

It is $29k MSRP + $4k extended warranty and maintenance + tax + fees. My friend wasn't happy when I told him my 330i was $40.5k out the door.

When I asked why extended warranty on a Honda, my friend said the dealer did not charge markup, but required F&I purchases to get "priority" allocation ....

This is slightly better than NorCal Honda dealers who charge $3k markup on Civic/Accord, and $10k markup on Odyssey.
$4k for priority allocation on a civic?? No offense but your friend got shafted. You can get an accord with the 2.0t and 275 ft/lb of torque for significantly less.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #72
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
$4k for priority allocation on a civic?? No offense but your friend got shafted. You can get an accord with the 2.0t and 275 ft/lb of torque for significantly less.
He picked the Touring trim which was rare for Civic, hence the BS pricing.

NorCal Honda dealers still currently sell 2021 Accord with $1k markup, so Accord Sport is around $37.5k OTD, and Touring(also rare) is $42.5k OTD(assuming $0 F&I add-on).
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #73
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:

The interesting thing is a lot of people won't step foot in a BMW/Mercedes/Audi dealership because they're under the assumption that it's automatically out of their budget.

This topic came to the forefront when people were (and still are) paying well above sticker for the Telluride/Palisade, where they could, for similar pricing after discounts, get an X5. But it seems like there's 2 things at play: 1) those people don't even consider the X5 because it's an "overpriced German" and the Telluride/Palisade are seen as the value luxury buys (despite them being similarly priced after dealer markups) and 2) LOTS of people simply don't negotiate pricing. So they're not aware that these "overpriced" German cars can be had at a discount.

Consumers are an interesting group....

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
Ugly Kar414.50
      08-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #74
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
The interesting thing is a lot of people won't step foot in a BMW/Mercedes/Audi dealership because they're under the assumption that it's automatically out of their budget.
My impression is that BMWNA gets beaten to a pulp by Tesla, so they need to adjust to FMV w.r.t. competition.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #75
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Long-Time Honda/Acura Owner Orders First BMW

As a long-time Honda/Acura owner I thought there might be a TLX Type-S in my future, but just placed an order for an M340i.

I've owned:

1970-something Civic Hatchback
1980-something Accord Hatchback
1986 Accord Hatchback (loved this car!)
1997 Acura Integra GSR
1999 Acura TL
2001 Acura CL Type-S

Five months ago I sold my 21-year-old CL-S and purchased a 2021 TLX SH-AWD Tech. It was a very nice car: extremely comfortable, handled well, firm, but comfortable ride, and just adequate power to move this heavy car around, but I wanted more kick.

Like many, I had high expectations for the Type-S and figured that I could get one below MSRP by next year. (To those who are harping about the ADM, not all dealers are doing this). Then the Type-S started hitting the streets and the reviews started coming out.

Clearly, the Type-S is a very nice car for those who like the TLX but want more power. And contrary to an earlier poster who trashed the SH-AWD, it's actually one of the best AWD systems in a front-drive car and the one feature that all reviewers praised.

However, the car is heavy and big. It's actually longer and wider than our 2019 RDX! I was always aware of the width on narrow 2-lane roads. The fuel economy sucks- I only put it in sport mode when I wanted to move because it guzzles gas. The B.S. marketing for the Type-S is actually more of a turn-off than the car itself- embarrassing for the car and the people who buy it.

I decided I didn't want to spend 50K (yes, you'll be able to get one for that or less in 12 months) for a car that's pretending to be something it's not, and that can be spanked by a Honda Accord.

So I started test driving BMWs. First, a 330i M Sport that was too harsh for me, then a 330i without M Sport, that I really liked. Then I found an M340i to drive and was blown away. Ours will be a Germany build that will take 10+ weeks, so it's going to be a long wait.

The cool thing about the M340i is that it's not pretending. If anything it's understated compared to its capabilities. The TLX is truly a beautiful, bad-ass looking car, but as a MotorTrend reviewer put it, “The TLX’s sheet metal is writing checks this car just can’t cash.”
Appreciate 3
      08-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #76
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerdrive View Post
As a long-time Honda/Acura owner I thought there might be a TLX Type-S in my future, but just placed an order for an M340i.

I've owned:

1997 Acura Integra GSR
1999 Acura TL
2001 Acura CL Type-S

Five months ago I sold my 21-year-old CL-S and purchased a 2021 TLX SH-AWD Tech. It was a very nice car: extremely comfortable, handled well, firm, but comfortable ride, and just adequate power to move this heavy car around, but I wanted more kick.

Like many, I had high expectations for the Type-S and figured that I could get one below MSRP by next year. (To those who are harping about the ADM, not all dealers are doing this). Then the Type-S started hitting the streets and the reviews started coming out.

Clearly, the Type-S is a very nice car for those who like the TLX but want more power. And contrary to an earlier poster who trashed the SH-AWD, it's actually one of the best AWD systems in a front-drive car and the one feature that all reviewers praised.

However, the car is heavy and big. It's actually longer and wider than our 2019 RDX! I was always aware of the width on narrow 2-lane roads. The fuel economy sucks- I only put it in sport mode when I wanted to move because it guzzles gas. The B.S. marketing for the Type-S is actually more of a turn-off than the car itself- embarrassing for the car and the people who buy it.

I decided I didn't want to spend 50K (yes, you'll be able to get one for that or less in 12 months) for a car that's pretending to be something it's not, and that can be spanked by a Honda Accord.

So I started test driving BMWs. First, a 330i M Sport that was too harsh for me, then a 330i without M Sport, that I really liked. Then I found an M340i to drive and was blown away. Ours will be a Germany build that will take 10+ weeks, so it's going to be a long wait.

The cool thing about the M340i is that it's not pretending. If anything it's understated compared to its capabilities. The TLX is truly a beautiful, bad-ass looking car, but as a MotorTrend reviewer put it, “The TLX’s sheet metal is writing checks this car just can’t cash.”
Wow thanks for the candid comments from a long time Honda/Acura owner.
BTW M340i also comes with M-sport suspension, so the harshness you experienced with 330i M-sport also will be present in M340i, but since you were blown away the harshness is still non-issue then.

Some do consider M340i as a replacement of M cars of previous generations, so that says a lot about M340i's capabilities.

And honestly u pick the right chassis (G20) and the right car(M340i) to be your first BMW, you will love it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #77
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
BTW M340i also comes with M-sport suspension, so the harshness you experienced with 330i M-sport also will be present in M340i
I know, but the M340i I drove did not seem harsh. The 330i did. Go figure. We ordered with adaptive suspension. I'm sure I will love this car!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #78
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
I know, but the M340i I drove did not seem harsh. The 330i did. Go figure. We ordered with adaptive suspension. I'm sure I will love this car!
Was there a difference in tires? Run flats vs regular, not horrible tires could account for that difference in ride quality. Could also just be that the tires on the 330i were over-inflated.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #79
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 XM40i, Honda Passport

Quote:
I have similar feelings, I'll be hoping to place my order early next year.

Honda/Acura make a good automobile, I've been mostly satisfied with my TL. But the throttle lag and shifting make it feel meh vs exciting. I'm looking for that excitement.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #80
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:

I've owned:

1997 Acura Integra GSR
1999 Acura TL
2001 Acura CL Type-S

That's one of the great things about the M340i; it doesn't pretend. It's not a full on M car, but most people realize that. However, it has more than enough punch to put it into "M lite" territory. But the best part is that the car is so understated. Most people that aren't in the know don't realize that this rather regular (but nice) looking BMW sedan will blow the doors off about 95% of cars currently on the road.

The TLX Type-S is decent for what it is, but it's $3-5k overpriced for its capabilities. The M340i, though, is the real deal, and anyone that has driven one realizes this.
Appreciate 3
EXE462100.00
      08-17-2021, 03:11 PM   #81
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
That's one of the great things about the M340i; it doesn't pretend. It's not a full on M car, but most people realize that. However, it has more than enough punch to put it into "M lite" territory. But the best part is that the car is so understated. Most people that aren't in the know don't realize that this rather regular (but nice) looking BMW sedan will blow the doors off about 95% of cars currently on the road.

The TLX Type-S is decent for what it is, but it's $3-5k overpriced for its capabilities. The M340i, though, is the real deal, and anyone that has driven one realizes this.
Yeah the Type S looks really aggresive and will attract alot of attention just to be beaten by an Audi A4. The car looks way too aggressive for being that slow. I'd be embarassed driving that car being challenged by everybody and getting smoked.

The funny thing is SamCarLegion's first Type S drag races were against a Genesis G70. Apparently the owner of the Type S was so angry and embarassed he got the doors blown off he will not go back on and race again. If you noticed Sam has a different Type S owner to race with now. lol
Appreciate 3
EXE462100.00
      08-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #82
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Was there a difference in tires? Run flats vs regular, not horrible tires could account for that difference in ride quality. Could also just be that the tires on the 330i were over-inflated.
To be honest, I got to drive the M Sport 330i by myself and over some rough pavement and speed bumps. I drove the M340i with a salesman over OK roads/interstate. I've read that the M Sport fixed suspension is harsher than the adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:43 PM   #83
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Harsh is subjective. What's harsh to you is another mans Buick/Cadillac of old. I have the fixed suspension and as they say ignorance is bliss because I'm perfectly satisfied. Never once had I ever thought the ride was harsh.
      08-17-2021, 04:02 PM   #84
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Harsh is subjective. What's harsh to you is another mans Buick/Cadillac of old. I have the fixed suspension and as they say ignorance is bliss because I'm perfectly satisfied. Never once had I ever thought the ride was harsh.
My M340i with the normal suspension feels a bit firm over rough pavement, but with this much power, you don't want a car that feels floaty. With that being said, I have a road which has a pretty good sized cut out in it that can upset some more stiffly spring sports cars.

In my old Tacoma TRD Sport, it shrugged it off easily, but those tires had a lot of side-wall.
In my previous 2013 Accord Coupe V6 (18" wheels), which had amazing suspension for long trips, it would cause the car to shutter when I hit that spot.

In my 2021 M340i, it shrugs it off like it's nothing. Bear in mind, the M340i is more stiffly sprung than either of those vehicles, but it seemingly handles it the best of all 3.

So... just because a suspension is "firm" does not mean it is "harsh". The stock suspension on these cars is dampened almost to perfection.
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #85
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
To be honest, I got to drive the M Sport 330i by myself and over some rough pavement and speed bumps. I drove the M340i with a salesman over OK roads/interstate. I've read that the M Sport fixed suspension is harsher than the adaptive?
I don't have personal experience with it, but that seems to be the consensus.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1695716
Really depends on your preferences and the surfaces you drive on. You can size down on wheels, go for tires with more sidewall, and/or under-inflate slightly to soften the ride if needed.

I have a 330i, non M Sport. It's firm but not jarring or anything. You feel small bumps slightly, but I would think you want this level of feedback in a 3 series. I prefer the firm suspension over a bouncy one.

I had a new 5 series loaner and it felt about the same on the highway. On rougher surfaces, a 5 series or X5 or better is definitely more comfortable, but also cost 50%+ more. And are less sporty and lack feedback, of course. Even on the rock-hard run flats from the factory, the ride was good enough. I think the suspension setup is just right. Not hardcore or uncomfortable, but also not floaty and disconnected.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #86
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Obviously, this is a BMW forum, so I can see this group being a bit biased. I'm mainly looking for people who own a current 3 series and have gotten a chance to test drive the TLX Type-S and been able to make a comparison between the 2. Many people are saying that dynamically, the TLX Type-S is an excellent car. Obviously it doesn't have the power or punch of an M340i, but supposedly they are excellent cars to drive.

This thread is NOT about speculation. It's about people who actually have first hand experience. Anyone out there gotten a chance?

New TLX is literally a land yacht coming in at 195" & 4200 lbs. At what point are we going to start disqualifying these cars....
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #87
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Redline Reviews is an absolute joke. The dude can't get over himself and his Tesla model 3.
Can't stand that guy...he'll review a sporty vehicle and not even go into depth about the steering/handling instead focusing on bullshit tech that nobody cares about...this is why cars are becoming numb isolation chambers.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12803.00
stein_325i25083.00
      08-18-2021, 02:34 PM   #88
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My brother tried to test drive it and the local dealer wouldn't let him without first putting a deposit down...Also 10k over msrp. Mind boggling that someone would choose this vehicle over a M340i...
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0