Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Reliability/ Maintenance on M340 - buying used, MY 2020

04-07-2022, 12:47 AM   #45
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg4c View Post
There ya go. Problem solved. Thanks for posting.
If you have the adaptive drive mode button, you have the adaptive suspension. They go together.
They cannot be separated.
This is true for the G20s AFAIK
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 07:06 AM   #46
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Thanks for confirming the adaptive button and clearing my misunderstanding. Good to know

So this also implies that cars without the adaptive button do not have adaptive drive mode? Why does BMW make this so confusing? lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 08:15 AM   #47
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaga View Post
I don’t have the budget for 60k but spending close to 50k on a 2 year old, ~40k miles car doesn’t make sense, even if I could afford it, am I correct?
I will be in a similar situation. I can't see buying/leasing a new bmw. Way too much money and depreciation for me. I don't mind buying a 2-3 year old car. For me my budget is only up to 40k. I will be waiting out this vehicle crisis though. Not a good time to buy.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #48
badaga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘20 M340i Shappire Black

TheKandyman
siegester
jg4c
RSnic

Thanks for clarifying on the Adaptive Suspension topic
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #49
badaga
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I will be in a similar situation. I can't see buying/leasing a new bmw. Way too much money and depreciation for me. I don't mind buying a 2-3 year old car. For me my budget is only up to 40k. I will be waiting out this vehicle crisis though. Not a good time to buy.
Totally agree with you. I wish I could wait too but we are at a point we need two cars for the family. We sold our second one during the pandemic.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:11 PM   #50
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I am still in love with this car and I will buy it after my lease is up as I won't be able to order one again in its current configuration due deleted options & etc.

My car has been trouble free up until recently and have experienced something apparently most G2X suffer from.

One day while on the freeway, auto folding mirrors decided to fold by themselves at 70 MPH and all the electronics that are controlled through drivers door failed (window, mirrors and power trunk)

Car spent close to 2 months at the dealer waiting for parts.

Replaced items include: BDU Module, window switches, both driver and passenger power mirror assemblies. When I was signing off the warranty paperwork, it was over $5800 for everything. This is a common issue and has been documented on this forum.

Yes, mechanically, car has been bullet proof but I would of hate to pay out of pocket for something like this.

The cause was, power mirror motors are known to get water in them and they short the BDU module, along with the motors and the switches. There is a TSB for this but I am not sure if it covers the out of warranty cars.

My dealer was super nice throughout the whole time and I got nice loaners & etc. I am definitely keeping the car but will purchase the best extended warranty available through Fidelity/BMW.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #51
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I am still in love with this car and I will buy it after my lease is up as I won't be able to order one again in its current configuration due deleted options & etc.

My car has been trouble free up until recently and have experienced something apparently most G2X suffer from.

One day while on the freeway, auto folding mirrors decided to fold by themselves at 70 MPH and all the electronics that are controlled through drivers door failed (window, mirrors and power trunk)

Replaced items include: BDU Module, window switches, both driver and passenger power mirror assemblies. When I was signing off the warranty paperwork, it was over $5800 for everything. This is a common issue and has been documented on this forum.

Yes, mechanically, car has been bullet proof but I would of hate to pay out of pocket for something like this.

The cause was, power mirror motors are known to get water in them and they short the BDU module, along with the motors and the switches. There is a TSB for this but I am not sure if it covers the out of warranty cars.

My dealer was super nice throughout the whole time and I got nice loaners & etc. I am definitely keeping the car but will purchase the best extended warranty available through Fidelity/BMW.
I'm gunna set the mirrors to stay open, don't need the folding and seems like a obvious wear item/failure source
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #52
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
I'm gunna set the mirrors to stay open, don't need the folding and seems like a obvious wear item/failure source
Thats how mine are set already. I only fold them when its absolutely needed.

Water getting into the motors has nothing to do with how often they are folded.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #53
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Thats how mine are set already. I only fold them when its absolutely needed.

Water getting into the motors has nothing to do with how often they are folded.
waterproof the seam they rotate on then I guess
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 01:12 AM   #54
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
There is a TSB for this but I am not sure if it covers the out of warranty cars.
Do you happen to have a copy of the TSB for this?
      04-10-2022, 07:00 PM   #55
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
Do you happen to have a copy of the TSB for this?
No, I don't but it has been discussed on this forum before. New X5s also suffer from the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 07:38 PM   #56
badaga
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

All the more reasons to buy the Extended Warranty!

Thanks for this - I didn't know this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 07:08 AM   #57
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Phew, thanks for this write up. I've been noticing from a few months ago that whenever I get the car washed, my driver's assistance would trip out. Brought it up to the dealership, but because they couldn't replicate it, they said it's all good.

Cue recently I got the car ceramic coated, and it was pouring rain the day I picked the car up. Drivers assistance tripping out again on the drive home. Only this time, it takes the door controls with it. Can't open/close windows, nor adjust mirrors. All the other doors work, and the driver's assistance stuff is still functional (according to iDrive). Controls came back when it was a sunny day. Thankfully I got videos of it this time to show on my service appointment.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #58
TTG
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Phew, thanks for this write up. I've been noticing from a few months ago that whenever I get the car washed, my driver's assistance would trip out. Brought it up to the dealership, but because they couldn't replicate it, they said it's all good.

Cue recently I got the car ceramic coated, and it was pouring rain the day I picked the car up. Drivers assistance tripping out again on the drive home. Only this time, it takes the door controls with it. Can't open/close windows, nor adjust mirrors. All the other doors work, and the driver's assistance stuff is still functional (according to iDrive). Controls came back when it was a sunny day. Thankfully I got videos of it this time to show on my service appointment.
Identical issues were on my car and they are all related.

I am attaching my service invoice for documentation purposes.

Appreciate 2
k4sh_90539.00
      04-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #59
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Hello folks,

I'm back to this forum after ~5 years and lookin to buy a 2020 M340i. Sold my 981 Cayman since I need the rear seats now, at least for the foreseeable future. I had a couple of e92 with N54 engine when I was last here.

Coming to my question: how reliable has this car been, esp. MY 2020? I will most probably be getting a CPO or after-market warranty unless there's enough evidence that these are solid cars now. For the price range I'm looking at I think I might getting a 30k to 50k miles car. What are your suggestions? What to look for when buying used? I will try to do an inspection before I buy. Any long-term maintenance issues?

Cheers!
Hello and welcome back to the club!

I know you didn't ask for this, but I wanted to point a few things out when looking for a 2020 model. Just know that AMBIENT LIGHTING (4UR) is OPTIONAL for the G20's in North America (incl. M340i) and it is NOT included in any package. Many have complained about this because it makes a huge difference when driving at night. Additionally, in my honest opinion, BMW's STOCK sound system sounds horrible and thus I would advise you to seek a M340i model that has Harman Kardon!! Luckily it is more common to see this on the M340i models!

Also, FWIW and in case you don't know, the 2020 M340i's are the LAST models to have the Auto Start Stop DEFEAT Button. In other words, it has a physical button to disable Auto Start Stop and always keep the engine running. The 2021 models have the 48V Mild Hybrid system and no longer includes the option to disable the AS/S - unless you drive with MAX AC or Sport Mode.

Anyways - I hope this helps!

Cam
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #60
badaga
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
Hello and welcome back to the club!

I know you didn't ask for this, but I wanted to point a few things out when looking for a 2020 model. Just know that AMBIENT LIGHTING (4UR) is OPTIONAL for the G20's in North America (incl. M340i) and it is NOT included in any package. Many have complained about this because it makes a huge difference when driving at night. Additionally, in my honest opinion, BMW's STOCK sound system sounds horrible and thus I would advise you to seek a M340i model that has Harman Kardon!! Luckily it is more common to see this on the M340i models!

Also, FWIW and in case you don't know, the 2020 M340i's are the LAST models to have the Auto Start Stop DEFEAT Button. In other words, it has a physical button to disable Auto Start Stop and always keep the engine running. The 2021 models have the 48V Mild Hybrid system and no longer includes the option to disable the AS/S - unless you drive with MAX AC or Sport Mode.

Anyways - I hope this helps!

Cam
Thank you for the insights. I think I can live without the Ambient Lighting but I'm particularly looking for Adaptive Suspension - which is very hard to find. Very few cars have it. Some cars have all the options but not this
Regarding the sound I totally agree, and I'm particular about the sound. Harman Kardon is at least the entry level for me in this car.
Good to know about that Auto Start/Stop button - easy to change when needed. It was annoying for me when I first had it few years ago but now I think I'm used to it, at least inside the town but these were on my SUV. My previous sports car was a manual (981).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #61
badaga
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Wow!! This should be a Sticky if not already.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 05:49 PM   #62
VINCER0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive 2021

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Identical issues were on my car and they are all related.

I am attaching my service invoice for documentation purposes.

After reading your comments, I did a search on these forums about the exact issue you described and my goodness the amount of people with this issue is really unnerving.

I wonder what a more permanent fix would be instead of "don't pressure wash the car or drive in heavy rain."

Thank so much you for sharing this!

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1762748

"I had this problem after a night of heavy rain. Drivers side window/mirror control switches weren't working and the rear window child lock light wasn't on but all the other individual window switches worked. It worked about 20 minutes later.

I booked it in with BMW for I think for 2-3 weeks time and it hadn't played up during the time leading up to going into BMW.

They found water ingress in the mirror motors which can cause the drivers side switches to play up. Both motors were replaced under warranty however they did ask if I used a pressure washer to wash the car which I answered yes. They kindly advised me to be mindful when using it near the wing mirrors as it could force water into the casing/motors and BMW most likely wouldn't replace it a second time round under warranty."

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1685064

"Very common failure is a module in the mirror.
In my case it was driver mirror, killed master window switch and trunk release on door panel, disconnected mirror and all worked (except mirror)
Drove that way a month while I waited for parts happened at approx 1200km. Seen several cases here and 5 or so local so far."

Last edited by VINCER0; 04-12-2022 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #63
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Thank you for the insights. I think I can live without the Ambient Lighting but I'm particularly looking for Adaptive Suspension - which is very hard to find. Very few cars have it. Some cars have all the options but not this
Regarding the sound I totally agree, and I'm particular about the sound. Harman Kardon is at least the entry level for me in this car.
Good to know about that Auto Start/Stop button - easy to change when needed. It was annoying for me when I first had it few years ago but now I think I'm used to it, at least inside the town but these were on my SUV. My previous sports car was a manual (981).
Hmmmm… I’m on the fence if I wanna keep this car, MY20 pretty much loaded, only options I didn’t get were wireless charging and the cooling pkg, but have sport and snow tires. 29k on odometer….
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 09:38 AM   #64
badaga
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Hmmmm… I’m on the fence if I wanna keep this car, MY20 pretty much loaded, only options I didn’t get were wireless charging and the cooling pkg, but have sport and snow tires. 29k on odometer….
PM'd you
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:19 AM   #65
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
I bought my 2022 M340ix with 5 miles on it and it’s currently at 4,500 miles and it’s been trouble free. I hope it stays that way too, the iDrive system is phenomenal, the power deliver is great and I easily get 380-390 miles on the tank when driven on eco mode and average 80mph ( this is my daily commuter for work).

Launch control is awesome, the car has tremendous grip and power.
Let us know if you keep it/make it to 50k miles. BMW's are ticking time bombs. After warranty ends they explode!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #66
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Let us know if you keep it/make it to 50k miles. BMW's are ticking time bombs. After warranty ends they explode!!!
I hope that’s supposed to be a joke, because it’s not true.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!