Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Dealership CRASHES NEW 2023 m340i [HELP!]

03-17-2023, 01:38 PM   #23
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Video clip is irrelevant. The dealership admitted to causing the damage, additionally damage occurred while the vehicle was in their possession. They are responsible, period. It was dumb on their part to delete this, but makes no difference anyhow.
Dealership has insurance. That is the wallet you need to go after.
Get their insurance info and file a claim.
I would not use the same dealership to do the repairs, considering everything that took place, it's hard to predict what issues can arise and their possible course of action.
If you own this car (not leased) definitely include diminished value as part of your claim
Also - Contact BMW NA, put them on notice that this happened and see what they can offer.
For the loaner - find a company willing to rent you a car. Include the bill with your claim
+1

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 01:41 PM   #24
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dod328430 View Post
Because his CarFax report will have an accident on it, resale will go down.
Unless the frame is damaged the diminished value shouldn't go down that much. Just looks like a new fender, wheel and bumper, they already accepted responsibility why keeping pushing the SD card issue? Contact your insurance to see what can be done about diminished value or maybe ask the dealer for a discount on ordering a new one.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #25
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKandyman View Post

The dealership really doesn't owe you anything but to fix your car.
This ^^

I always find it interesting that everyone wants something extra in return just because the dealer damaged their car. If it had happened on the street with a regular Joe this demand of extra compensation from the other involved party would be silly.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 02:25 PM   #26
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
This ^^

I always find it interesting that everyone wants something extra in return just because the dealer damaged their car. If it had happened on the street with a regular Joe this demand of extra compensation from the other involved party would be silly.
This is VERY different. The OP took their car in to have a tire replaced, and instead, they ruined his car. He took it in for a service he was going to pay for, and instead, they ruined his car. He trusted them, and instead, they ruined his car. This isn't an old car either. It's a brand new 2023 M340i.

They do owe him compensation in some form. Whether they do it or not is up to them, but it is in their best interest to do so as they do have a reputation to uphold. "We screwed up. We will make it right." That's how you maintain a relationship, not only with the customer affected, but with other customers as well.
EXE462100.00
GDIV4.50
WMark5.00
      03-17-2023, 02:43 PM   #27
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
They do owe him compensation in some form. Whether they do it or not is up to them, but it is in their best interest to do so as they do have a reputation to uphold. "We screwed up. We will make it right." That's how you maintain a relationship, not only with the customer affected, but with other customers as well.
Yes, compensation would be great in the name of maintaining the customer relationship but it's not something they HAVE to do. Sure it never hurts to ask but I would just leave it there, if they say yes awesome but if they declined what then?

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 03-17-2023 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 02:52 PM   #28
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

You're not going to get some kind of windfall from the dealer. I would say a loaner is an appropriate gesture, but beyond that it's all speculative and debatable if the time and energy you'll have to expend is even worth the dollar value of any additional compensation you might get.

I would also just assume someone at the dealership has already seen this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 03:07 PM   #29
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
You're not going to get some kind of windfall from the dealer. I would say a loaner is an appropriate gesture, but beyond that it's all speculative and debatable if the time and energy you'll have to expend is even worth the dollar value of any additional compensation you might get.
That's what I'm trying to say, some here are calling for extra compensation and that last thing you want to do is piss off the dealership to the point were they say, "just deal with my insurance."

I spent 8 years working at a dealership, if any special compensation is coming it's usually the dealership that puts it out first, not someone demanding or asking for it.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 03:17 PM   #30
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Yes, compensation would be great in the name of maintaining the customer relationship but it's not something they HAVE to do. Sure it never hurts to ask but I would just leave it there, if they say yes awesome but if they declined what then?
You leave a negative review on any review site you can find. Let people know that this company ruined your car and only did the bare minimum to avoid a legal battle. Customer Service and repeat business is how these dealers stay in business. If they want to risk it over a mistake they make to their customer's car, that's up to them. Never underestimate the power of the internet.

The BMW subreddit is absolutely ruthless with cases like this. It is in the dealership's best interest to go above and beyond in this case.
      03-17-2023, 03:21 PM   #31
boxdotjpeg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Garage List
So sorry to hear that, dealing with mistakes of others is always painful when it comes to cars. I hate to bring bad news, but I know someone who bought a G20 LCI on the 31st of December then someone hit the front corner of their car the next day, and they still don’t have their 3 series back. Headlights were quoted by BMWNA on a 3 month back order when that happened, but maybe that had changed since then. It’s a really awful situation and has been one of my biggest fears, especially with owning Dravit Gray as the paint process seems more complicated than the regular colors and I would think it’s difficult to get it close to factory. They should give you a loaner for the situation though as it’s them at fault, I know some dealers have bypassed it for me in the past to get a loaner. Wishing you luck in your battle against the dealer and I hope they make you whole plus some more.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 09:10 PM   #32
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Do not tell your insurer at this point. The dealer are going to pay to fix the car, you do not need to do anything here.

If the car is leased, it doesn’t matter. Make sure the repairs are good and keep driving it, that is all cosmetic damage. Get a loaner for the interim. If you own the car, thats still just cosmetic damage. I would ask if they are running it through insurance which would mean it shows on carfax. If not, you won’t have an issue in future. Cars getting paintwork is very common. If it will go on carfax, diminished value could be an issue and you may need to bring in your insurer.

Sucks I know, but that is easily fixable to the point you would never know anything happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:54 AM   #33
MrMegambo
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i 2023

I'm keeping up with what you guys are saying, I've gotten a car I could borrow from my grandpa so the loaner isn't a need anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 01:11 AM   #34
MrMegambo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Do not tell your insurer at this point. The dealer are going to pay to fix the car, you do not need to do anything here.

If the car is leased, it doesn’t matter. Make sure the repairs are good and keep driving it, that is all cosmetic damage. Get a loaner for the interim. If you own the car, thats still just cosmetic damage. I would ask if they are running it through insurance which would mean it shows on carfax. If not, you won’t have an issue in future. Cars getting paintwork is very common. If it will go on carfax, diminished value could be an issue and you may need to bring in your insurer.

Sucks I know, but that is easily fixable to the point you would never know anything happened.
Yea I just hope there isn't any suspension damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 01:17 AM   #35
MrMegambo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdotjpeg View Post
So sorry to hear that, dealing with mistakes of others is always painful when it comes to cars. I hate to bring bad news, but I know someone who bought a G20 LCI on the 31st of December then someone hit the front corner of their car the next day, and they still don’t have their 3 series back. Headlights were quoted by BMWNA on a 3 month back order when that happened, but maybe that had changed since then. It’s a really awful situation and has been one of my biggest fears, especially with owning Dravit Gray as the paint process seems more complicated than the regular colors and I would think it’s difficult to get it close to factory. They should give you a loaner for the situation though as it’s them at fault, I know some dealers have bypassed it for me in the past to get a loaner. Wishing you luck in your battle against the dealer and I hope they make you whole plus some more.
Thank you man, i hope it doesn't take long.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:01 PM   #36
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
I would just ask about a trade in even before they fix it to see what they can do. You are entitled to diminished value in some states and if you are going to let them repair it then you need to negotiate that up front. Normally that’s done after the repair. But doing it before hand shows them that you can take the car somewhere else for repairs and they will still be responsible for the damage, rental and Dv. The need of a car should be easy. They can give you a used car from the lot to drive. Just be courteous. Even the rental companies will do insurance rentals for 18+ they just have a surcharge.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #37
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Unless the frame is damaged the diminished value shouldn't go down that much. Just looks like a new fender, wheel and bumper, they already accepted responsibility why keeping pushing the SD card issue? Contact your insurance to see what can be done about diminished value or maybe ask the dealer for a discount on ordering a new one.
Diminished value may not be much in theory, but theory doesn’t rule when potential buyers see damage on a CarFax report. The OP needs to put a lot of effort into making sure the dealership does not let this incident end up on CarFax. If it does, in my view his claim for diminished value is significant.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-18-2023, 03:37 PM   #38
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdotjpeg View Post
Dravit Grey is not a huge concern as long as it’s done at CRCC. Dealer once scratched my driver side door; the entire side of the car had to be repainted. It was a job well done
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 11:21 PM   #39
GDIV
Rep
Drives: M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMegambo View Post
I'm keeping up with what you guys are saying, I've gotten a car I could borrow from my grandpa so the loaner isn't a need anymore.
I would have demanded a rental and would not have left until I got one but that's just me!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 11:28 PM   #40
GDIV
Rep

Quote:
This ^^

This is not just minor damage, so many other factors play into this. Inconvenience, diminished car value, possibility of other damages not seen with the naked eye, might not drive the same if there are suspension issues. $65k to $70k for a car is a lot of money to just downplay in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2023, 01:31 PM   #41
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Absolutely fry them. Dealerships are routinely providing poor service and causing damage... some opinions in this thread is why. Do not accept their negligence. That car will never, ever, ever be the same as it was prior to them damaging it.
Appreciate 4
      03-19-2023, 04:31 PM   #42
GDIV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
Absolutely fry them. Dealerships are routinely providing poor service and causing damage... some opinions in this thread is why. Do not accept their negligence. That car will never, ever, ever be the same as it was prior to them damaging it.
Agreed! Everyone is saying to leave the dealer alone until it happens to them!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 05:58 PM   #43
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

I mean, it’s no different than someone rear ending you the same day as picking up the car from the dealership. Doesn’t even need to be your fault. Insurance pays for the damages, but your brand new car still will have an accident report.

This is part of car ownership. It sucks the dealership was the one, but better than an accident with you in it because someone did something outside of your control by blowing a red light or something.

Don’t buy cars as an investment, always assume you will get basically nothing back from it. Everyone deals with that. If that concerns you, then lease and never have this problem.

The main point is the dealership fixes it free of charge. The value portion is irrelevant, you accept an accident within or outside your control could happen to your brand new vehicle and tank the value the moment you drive it off the lot for the first time. Same deal if a valet driver crashes your car, they pay for the repair through insurance, and that’s that.

Edit: that said, if there is an opportunity for a dimished value claim, take it, and do what you can to maybe keep it off the vehicle report. My main point is that cars are (often) very depreciating assets. If value is of a primary concern, there are other better things that will hold value better than a vehicle. A crash could happen at any point that could tank the value. It is something that must be accepted that could happen, even if we don’t like it and don’t want it. Hence why insurance exists, and also why if you buy, put down enough so you don’t get underwater in the event something like this happens and you want/need to sell soon afterwards with an accident report.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 06:46 PM   #44
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

This is bad. But cars can be fixed to like new. I had bought a new 540i to replace my old car that got totaled. I had the new car about 3 months and some guy changed lanes without looking and hit my new BMW. Man I was pissed. He told the police officer that I turned into him. So I was stuck with a $500 deductible to get my car fixed. Because I couldn't prove he was at fault. They were able to fix it so you couldn't tell it had been hit. You are lucky a little bit because the car being so new the paint will be easy to match.

Sorry about the hit
Appreciate 0