12-10-2020, 02:30 AM   #23
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman15 View Post
I completely agree but personally I very rarely use adaptive mode, I'm more of a comfort person. I do have the odd Sport Plus blast to blow the cobwebs off as whats the point in having an M Sport to drive around like Miss Daisy all the time.

Diesels, if I'm not mistaken don't have LSD and then of course there are X Drive models, all with very different characteristics. From my very limited experience and brief reading of forums, if you have Turanza's fitted, you're screwed regarding anywhere near half decent mileage. This of course isn't scientific and is a very sweeping statement. All I know is that come the next couple of thousand miles I clock up, I shall be parting with some pennies to put anything on the car that isn't a Turanza.

I will keep the forum updated with my end mileage and how the next set of rubber pans out, whatever I choose.
3L diesels DO have LSD. Will be interested in your updates as my 340d is fitted with Turanza's
Currently due to Covid I have only 181 miles clocked up.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:56 AM   #24
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
3L diesels DO have LSD. Will be interested in your updates as my 340d is fitted with Turanza's
Currently due to Covid I have only 181 miles clocked up.
Apologies Zorroone, I must have misread the information while I was reading through pages of specs to choose from.
I've got a 500 mile business trip next week which will take me over 10k and will will post depth measurements on a dry day over Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #25
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
I completely agree but personally I very rarely use adaptive mode, I'm more of a comfort person. I do have the odd Sport Plus blast to blow the cobwebs off as whats the point in having an M Sport to drive around like Miss Daisy all the time.

Diesels, if I'm not mistaken don't have LSD and then of course there are X Drive models, all with very different characteristics. From my very limited experience and brief reading of forums, if you have Turanza's fitted, you're screwed regarding anywhere near half decent mileage. This of course isn't scientific and is a very sweeping statement. All I know is that come the next couple of thousand miles I clock up, I shall be parting with some pennies to put anything on the car that isn't a Turanza.

I will keep the forum updated with my end mileage and how the next set of rubber pans out, whatever I choose.
I'm pretty much the same, only I drive mainly in adaptive mode.
As for your comment on the Turanza's, yes you are right & I would go far as to say it is correct in what seems to be 90% of the cases of those who have or had those tyres on the car
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #26
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
Any tire with a 280 treadwear rating will likely not last beyond 20k miles, such is the downfall of performance and high performance tires.
There are too many factors to mention that come into play, but in the case of the centerline wearing faster than the shoulders, overinflation is a likely culprit. Unless there's another reason a runflat would wear more on the centerline compared to a go-flat, maybe it's a case of the overall stiffness of the runflat causing it behave differently

Currently running 12k on Bridestone S001 runflats and about half the life left on them
I would agree on over inflation being the culprit but as I and Burnzie’s BM said we have had over pressures slightly lower. So does that mean that either the TPM's are off, the recommended pressure on the door jam is wrong, or Bridgestone's R & D which would have influenced BMW's recommendation was wrong....or is it just a rather crap tyre????
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #27
BradB74
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Hi all

I'm running the Bridgestone's on my 330i.
I've got 40000km 25000 miles. I'm just about to put my third set of rears on the car (staggered 255 rear 235 front) I'm also having the issue with the center of the tread wearing out leaving loads of tread on the shoulders, as a matter of fact the shoulders aren't even worn down to the tread indicator.
I've played around with the preassure but it didn't make much difference. Recommend preassure as per the door jam is 2.7 bar. The set I have on the car at the moment I ran at 2.35 bar and they still wore out in the center. 90% of my milage is on the highway.

I've been back and forth with BMW and their official stance is, wait for it...this is normal.

Just wanted to put my two cents is, I will most certainly be going with another brand for my next set.

Thanks for all the advice in the above thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradB74 View Post
Hi all

I'm running the Bridgestone's on my 330i.
I've got 40000km 25000 miles. I'm just about to put my third set of rears on the car (staggered 255 rear 235 front) I'm also having the issue with the center of the tread wearing out leaving loads of tread on the shoulders, as a matter of fact the shoulders aren't even worn down to the tread indicator.
I've played around with the preassure but it didn't make much difference. Recommend preassure as per the door jam is 2.7 bar. The set I have on the car at the moment I ran at 2.35 bar and they still wore out in the center. 90% of my milage is on the highway.

I've been back and forth with BMW and their official stance is, wait for it...this is normal.

Just wanted to put my two cents is, I will most certainly be going with another brand for my next set.

Thanks for all the advice in the above thread.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, center wear can be due to centrifugal growth. The wider the tire section, the more it is likely. Some tire designs are more susceptible to it than others. BTW, it is not a new issue, it's been with us for years.

Highway driving... high speed?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:41 PM   #29
BradB74
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
As I mentioned in an earlier post, center wear can be due to centrifugal growth. The wider the tire section, the more it is likely. Some tire designs are more susceptible to it than others. BTW, it is not a new issue, it's been with us for years.

Highway driving... high speed?
Thanks, I saw that in the thread. Makes perfect sense.
With regards to the speed, I must admit that a fair amount of my driving is moderately high speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #30
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

As promised, update following my last business trip before Christmas.
Mileage 10330, Fronts 2-3mm, Rears 3-4mm.

Wear rate has slowed considerably over the last 1000 miles or so. Still not great and will be swapped for CC+ in January

This is quite an interesting read on the tyre reviews website from Michelin which could explain what I am experiencing.

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...res-at-3mm.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 02:25 AM   #31
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Been following this with interest - I'm wondering if it's a geometry thing. My car is in the dealer next week for a couple of things, but one of which is to check the wheel alignment, as the car just doesn't feel right at speed - I'm having to hold the wheel slightly to the right for the car to track straight, and it just doesn't feel steady at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 04:29 AM   #32
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Been following this with interest - I'm wondering if it's a geometry thing. My car is in the dealer next week for a couple of things, but one of which is to check the wheel alignment, as the car just doesn't feel right at speed - I'm having to hold the wheel slightly to the right for the car to track straight, and it just doesn't feel steady at all.
I'm pretty sure it is not geometry in my case as I had the car checked at my local 4 wheel alignment centre not long after running it in. I could of course be wrong as pot holes etc can knock things out of track, but the car still feels planted.

Occasionally I have to steer slightly to the right but this is due to road camber. If you have a clear single carriageway road in your area, try moving over to the right and see if you need to steer left.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #33
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is not geometry in my case as I had the car checked at my local 4 wheel alignment centre not long after running it in. I could of course be wrong as pot holes etc can knock things out of track, but the car still feels planted.

Occasionally I have to steer slightly to the right but this is due to road camber. If you have a clear single carriageway road in your area, try moving over to the right and see if you need to steer left.
Cheers - definitely not road camber, as I know that's normal. There's far too much adjustment to the steering required when travelling in a straight line for it to just be camber related.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #34
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Cheers - definitely not road camber, as I know that's normal. There's far too much adjustment to the steering required when travelling in a straight line for it to just be camber related.
Only takes the slightest amount of error to upset the precision of a BMW chassis.

My own experience, if a car doesn't track straight on the crown of a road, there is something wrong, either in the alignment, or the tyres. Sometimes swapping front wheels 'side to side', (take care in fault finding if they are directional), shows where the fault lay.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 02:53 AM   #35
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You threw me when you said slightly holding the wheel to the right. For the amount of adjustment you refer to, I would definitely agree it needs a trip to the garage. The amount of pot holes we have on our roads today, it’s no wonder things are knocked out of adjustment.

It could be that run flat tyres amplify this effect as there is less give in them, just a thought.

Hope you get back on track soon
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 05:53 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It could be that run flat tyres amplify this effect as there is less give in them, just a thought.

Hope you get back on track soon
RFTs are more sensitive to road irregularities. Often this is amplified more by the pressure setting, than the run-flat itself. Many users are tempted to run slightly lower pressures, due to the harder ride. That can be a mistake. It is more important to get the optimum setting for least road interference.

Simply put, the tolerances of pressure/temperature setting, is more critical with run-flats. 2psi (0.15bar) can make all the difference to driving precision.
Appreciate 0