Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Tapping and Burning Smell

12-23-2020, 03:24 AM   #1
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Hi all

Just after a bit of advice really.

After a short journey this morning and pulling on the drive I could smell burning more like electrical burning.

I left the car and a short while went back and the smell is still there. On driving the car their is a loud tapping noise like the tappets on a older car.

Anyone else experienced anything like this or know what this could be?

Update: now showing Power Supply error and waiting for BMW Technician to come out.

Thanks
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 02:21 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I haven't had that but yesterday I did have white smoke coming from beneath the passenger sill by the front wheel well. It had a burning smell to it and was not steam/condensation!

I haven't been out since to investigate it. My wife was very upset by the EGR recall letters we had twice when I had my 435d. So I dare not raise any suspicion. The condition for a new car was for me to make sure it had no outstanding recall issues.

I have a 320d, not in x drive guise though.
Appreciate 0