01-07-2021, 04:49 AM   #1
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
ALEXA

Guys, Anyone got this working. I've sort of given up with "Hey BMW" its so intermittent its a joke.
I have seen videos on YT but it doesn't seem to be exactly the same in my car.
I've managed to get the Alexa app to connect so i can instruct Alexa in the house to open car etc.
But i cant get the car whilst driving to respond to "Alexa" or even pressing the speech button and trying?
Im obviously missing a step? or it simply wont work.
Anyone had any success?
      01-07-2021, 05:17 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
Guys, Anyone got this working. I've sort of given up with "Hey BMW" its so intermittent its a joke.
I've managed to get the Alexa app to connect so i can instruct Alexa in the house to open car etc.
But i cant get the car whilst driving to respond to "Alexa" or even pressing the speech button and trying?
Anyone had any success?
Nope....and I haven’t seen any posts from UK owners saying they have. Maybe with the 11/20.xx updates or some future update!

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:53 AM   #3
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
Anyone had any success?
Nope....and I haven’t seen any posts from UK owners saying they have. Maybe with the 11/20.xx updates or some future update!
Ive been on with online Genius, apparently it is there but not working. Due to C19 work stopped on the server and isn't up and running, it will be available in due course
I'm not going mad then
      01-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone had any success?
Nope....and I haven't seen any posts from UK owners saying they have. Maybe with the 11/20.xx updates or some future update!
Ive been on with online Genius, apparently it is there but not working. Due to C19 work stopped on the server and isn't up and running, it will be available in due course
I'm not going mad then
I have been following Alexa in the car for ages. Literally nobody knows anything. My dealer is very frustrated by the fact that after an announcement on BMW global site, an upgrade to the MyBMW app and the BMW YouTube video still nothing.

The facts are: the uk backend system is still broken but it will be back Feb 21. You will need 2020/11 software when it comes.

The whole farce has driven me mad.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 12:56 AM   #5
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody320 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone had any success?
Nope....and I haven't seen any posts from UK owners saying they have. Maybe with the 11/20.xx updates or some future update!
I'm not going mad then
I have been following Alexa in the car for ages. Literally nobody knows anything. My dealer is very frustrated by the fact that after an announcement on BMW global site, an upgrade to the MyBMW app and the BMW YouTube video still nothing.

The facts are: the uk backend system is still broken but it will be back Feb 21. You will need 2020/11 software when it comes.

The whole farce has driven me mad.
Genius advised me to register my interest with my local garage, which I did. They hadn't a clue but did ring me back next day.
They said similar. The server is the issue, also the Nov 21 update will include patch, so in theory should work then.
Bit of a mismatch for sure.
I wouldn't mind so much but "hey BMW" is so hit n miss
      01-09-2021, 04:07 AM   #6
KP1602
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d GT MSport Pro

My new G21 330e responds to the word Alexa now I added my Amazon account on the ConnectedDrove app - but it doesn’t process anything...

Not sure how far you’ve managed to get with it?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 05:59 AM   #7
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP1602 View Post
My new G21 330e responds to the word Alexa now I added my Amazon account on the ConnectedDrove app - but it doesn’t process anything...

Not sure how far you’ve managed to get with it?
Now that's interesting!

Did you get the myBMW app to allow you to link your Amazon Alexa account?

I think as they have said the backend is still broken but hopefully Feb 2021 will see it finally back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
KP1602
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d GT MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody320 View Post
Now that's interesting!

Did you get the myBMW app to allow you to link your Amazon Alexa account?

I think as they have said the backend is still broken but hopefully Feb 2021 will see it finally back on.
No.... I had to use the old connecteddrive app to link it
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:56 AM   #9
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP1602 View Post
No.... I had to use the old connecteddrive app to link it
I called Connecteddrive this morning just to get an update on when and if Alexa was indeed on the way. Honestly you couldn't make it up.

Firstly they have a phone problem and I had to call probably 8 times. After 4 occasions I did get through "Oh yes its being rolled out to some vehicles now, it just hasn't got to your vehicle yet". "The latest date for them all to be done is Feb 24th" then the call cut off.

So I call back and speak to someone else "Alexa?, no the latest info we have, I have just checked with my Manager is April, May 2021". "It is not working in the UK and this is the only information we have"

As I said you just couldn't make it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 03:28 AM   #10
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Not sure if it's relevant, but maybe...

I've not got my car yet, it's in the UK and on it's way to the dealers. The dealer has however forwarded me on a link to a personalised webpage with a bunch of how-to videos (around 60 of them!) that are alledgedly tailored to the cars specific features, one of which is "Setting up Amazon Alexa". It just links to a YouTube video here if anyone is interested.

A step towards it becoming available in the UK perhaps.
      02-07-2021, 03:42 AM   #11
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Not sure if it's relevant, but maybe...

I've not got my car yet, it's in the UK and on it's way to the dealers. The dealer has however forwarded me on a link to a personalised webpage with a bunch of how-to videos (around 60 of them!) that are alledgedly tailored to the cars specific features, one of which is "Setting up Amazon Alexa". It just links to a YouTube video here if anyone is interested.

A step towards it becoming available in the UK perhaps.
doesnt work in UK til update nearer end of year. due to COVID servers werent set up
      02-07-2021, 05:03 AM   #12
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
doesnt work in UK til update nearer end of year. due to COVID servers werent set up
The very latest I have is that Alexa should be working in cars produced since December 2020 now (I haven't heard of any) and updates to existing ID7 on 2020/11 software should start in the next 2 - 3 months.

I am advised that there was "an issue" with installing to older ID7 and that problem is with BMW Germany. If past problems with (for example) Office 365 are anything to go by that could be ages.

I asked if when it finally arrives it will just be a service update in the car or yet another main software update? The connecteddrive man didn't know.

Not quite sure what or who to believe. Just keep up the pressure.

If anyone has a software contact buried somewhere in BMW please shout up!
Appreciate 0