Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e BIK rates for post April deliveries

01-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d, Porsche Boxster

330e BIK rates for post April deliveries

Registered as I'm currently looking at my company car options for an order to be placed for early June delivery.

I'm trying to make sense of the BIK rates for April onwards - I thought I'd read there was a big cut coming, especially for 330e SE Pro models, but it looks like I may be mistaken.

Does anyone have any definitive information? - and are there any signs BMW may tweak the car to push EV only running over 40miles and qualify for really low BIK?

We currently have the SE Pro, Sport Pro and MSport on our car list - but the MSport has just taken a big hike in price (£25 / month!) and is hovering right at the top of our allowance. We aren't allowed to top up... the SE Pro is £50 under allowance, with the Sport £40 under. (Although the £40k VED hike means nobody is going over £40k anyway!).

To put things into perspective - my current car is an F10 520d Luxury, so whatever I choose will feel like I've been demoted! - may as well look at ways to minimise the tax bill.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolpusher View Post
Registered as I'm currently looking at my company car options for an order to be placed for early June delivery.

I'm trying to make sense of the BIK rates for April onwards - I thought I'd read there was a big cut coming, especially for 330e SE Pro models, but it looks like I may be mistaken.

Does anyone have any definitive information? - and are there any signs BMW may tweak the car to push EV only running over 40miles and qualify for really low BIK?

We currently have the SE Pro, Sport Pro and MSport on our car list - but the MSport has just taken a big hike in price (£25 / month!) and is hovering right at the top of our allowance. We aren't allowed to top up... the SE Pro is £50 under allowance, with the Sport £40 under. (Although the £40k VED hike means nobody is going over £40k anyway!).

To put things into perspective - my current car is an F10 520d Luxury, so whatever I choose will feel like I've been demoted! - may as well look at ways to minimise the tax bill.
Not to sure about the rates as I opted out of out company car scheme as far to expensive for diesel in tax and paid more mileage allowance for private car.

I had a 520d M Sport before my 320 and I felt I was dropping down but have to say the new 3 series is far better than my 520. Tech is impressive and design is so much nicer looking.

Not to mention cheaper to run and more efficient as the 2.0 engine on the 520 is too small for the size of the car.

I think you will be suitably impressed with the new 3 series.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Have to be honest, I just don't like the 3-series. They feel very small and pokey. Although the quality is a big improvement over the old car.

Efficiency is a pretty poor argument as I'll be going from a 50mpg diesel (and I have never found mine underpowered) to a 35mpg petrol as I'll rarely plug it in - this is purely a tax thing because I refuse to pay £400 / month for a replacement 520d.

The most ridiculous thing is that lumbar support is an optional extra which tips the MSport over £40k!

If there's a significant tax saving to be made, I'd throw a few options at an SE Pro rather than order an MSport.

(My other option is to compromise on tax and go with a Lexus ES300h - sits mid way between the 330e MSport and the 520d SE for tax, but comes loaded with kit and still gives me a big car)

Last edited by Auslander; 01-11-2020 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Have to be honest, I just don't like the 3-series. They feel very small and pokey. Although the quality is a big improvement over the old car.

(My other option is to compromise on tax and go with a Lexus ES300h - sits mid way between the 330e MSport and the 520d SE for tax, but comes loaded with kit and still gives me a big car)
If you just don't like it, why consider it? 3 or 4 years is a long time to be stuck with a car you don't like, on top of that to not have the specification you want and are used to.

Go for a Lexus, bigger car and loaded with kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm considering it due to the stupid BIK rates - I'd save £6.5k over 4 years in a 330e MSport. That's enough to upgrade my Boxster to a 911!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
I'm considering it due to the stupid BIK rates - I'd save £6.5k over 4 years in a 330e MSport. That's enough to upgrade my Boxster to a 911!
Can you not get an entry level Tesla Model 3, they're just under £40k aren't they?

I thought the Lexus ES was ok, a nice cruising car although suspension on the F Sport a little jiggly and performance way off a 330e. F Sport trim on 19" wheels looks pretty nice and Mark Levinson audio sounded awesome. Boot not that big and rear seats don't fold so wouldn't have worked for us. I got about 50MPG on my gentle test drive, not bad for a large car but guessing that's as good as it'll ever hit.

When I was ordering my 330e I was told (by BMW corporate dealer) that the SE Pro was the only version that qualified for 8% BIK (from April) but others have had different responses. Mine costs me about £210/month now but will drop to £170 from April (car is M Sport, about £45k with options). 530e was outside my allowance but 530d SE was about £500/month BIK, crazy!?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

No, no Teslas. I work for the world's biggest oil company!

ES would be the 'base' spec., but still very close to the spec. of my 520d Lux. Boot is a challenge, as when I visit the office, I tend to park and stay around Wembley or Docklands and cycle in (we're by Waterloo).

If the SE Pro qualifies for 8%, that could tip the balance - even chucking options to reach nearly £40k means a BIK of around £106 / month. That's a fairly significant saving over the MSport and a huge saving over the Lexus.

The other alternative is to see what the 125e and X1 25e look like - I've never found the 1 and 3 to be too different in size from the driver's seat (I opted for a 1-series with lots of options over a 3 series back in 2013), and the hatch makes both attractive - especially as I would probably get more kit for my money.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
No, no Teslas. I work for the world's biggest oil company!

ES would be the 'base' spec., but still very close to the spec. of my 520d Lux. Boot is a challenge, as when I visit the office, I tend to park and stay around Wembley or Docklands and cycle in (we're by Waterloo).

If the SE Pro qualifies for 8%, that could tip the balance - even chucking options to reach nearly £40k means a BIK of around £106 / month. That's a fairly significant saving over the MSport and a huge saving over the Lexus.

The other alternative is to see what the 125e and X1 25e look like - I've never found the 1 and 3 to be too different in size from the driver's seat (I opted for a 1-series with lots of options over a 3 series back in 2013), and the hatch makes both attractive - especially as I would probably get more kit for my money.
Need to see what they've done with the battery tech on the 1/X1. I've looked at the 225xe in the past (same drive train as the new models) and struggled to get more than 15 miles of electric and even driven really gently got about 50MPG on my commute (my 330e will do 150MPG+) and even my diesel Mondeo would do 60mpg.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:51 AM   #9
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Can you hold off about and see what the X3 PHEV looks like? Or maybe go none BMW? Of you're not plugging it in the diesel electric c class probably makes more snese
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:45 AM   #10
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The X3 won't be on our list (mostly due to the £40k VED which adds £25 / month to the lease) - and Mercedes were removed a few years ago when Lexus were added - because they had nothing that offered a suitable low CO2 option at the time. Even now, their PHEVs are well over £40k, so wouldn't be a choice even if Mercedes were put back on our list.

(We get Audi, BMW, Lexus, VW and Volvo)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 06:05 AM   #11
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
The X3 won't be on our list (mostly due to the £40k VED which adds £25 / month to the lease) - and Mercedes were removed a few years ago when Lexus were added - because they had nothing that offered a suitable low CO2 option at the time. Even now, their PHEVs are well over £40k, so wouldn't be a choice even if Mercedes were put back on our list.

(We get Audi, BMW, Lexus, VW and Volvo)
Depending how you feel about the badge a Passat gte is a really nice car.

Our list isn't as restrictive as that. We can basically put the extra to. If you do end up with a G20 with options spec the driving assistant. Makes motorways about a million times more pleasant
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 06:29 AM   #12
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I had high hopes for the Passat GTE, but the lease rates are crazy - the standard GTE saloon on our scheme is £550 / month. For perspective, a 520d SE is £450 and a 330e MSport is £455. The Lexus ES300h is £475.

Our limit is £475 with no top-ups - this was introduced because people were speccing up cars with loads of options and then leaving the company mid-lease, which left the business footing the bill for the excess over allowance when the car was re-allocated to a new recruit. Of course, the answer to that is to stop making people redundant... as that's why they got so badly burned.

I think this will all come down to tax - if, as rumoured, the SE Pro comes with a much lower rate than the MSport, I'll go SE Pro and spec. some options (I'm not convinced that the low end leather is any better than Sensatec - Dakota is pretty poor, not sure if the new one is any better) - if I have to pay the same rate as on an MSport, I'll just bite the bullet and get the Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
SeeeGull
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
Have a play with www.comcar.co.uk. It will show your tax liability and you can compare models.

I was going to order to 520d MSport Touring, but BIK tax was coming out at £480 per month.

Instead I’ve just taken delivery of a 330e and from April will be paying £160 a month in BIK.

So that’s £320 pm in my bank account. It’s an absolute no brainer to go with the 330e. You can always use the cash saved to fund a weekend car!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #14
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I know about ComCar - but it doesn't show data for April onwards, which is the really important bit if you're ordering for post April delivery. There are some fairly significant changes - but I can't find any manufacturer data which reflects the changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Really interested in answer to this. Lots of conflicting data. Our lease company (lex) have BiK calculator and it states 8% post April but nowhere else does. It does make quite a difference. Any help much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #16
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Really interested in answer to this. Lots of conflicting data. Our lease company (lex) have BiK calculator and it states 8% post April but nowhere else does. It does make quite a difference. Any help much appreciated.
Any chance you could grab a screenshot? As you say, it's a big saving - my current car is about £380 / month, a replacement 5-series the same - the ES300h is £290 and the 330e Sport and MSport are £160ish from April. If the SE is 8%, this drops to just over £100. Not seen a tax bill like that since I was on half my salary a decade ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

All the BIK rates are listed here:
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-fa...-bik-bands-/3/

If the calculation is based on NEDC max range of 41 miles for 330e SE Pro, then the BIK will be 8% for cars registered before 6 April 2020.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #18
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I think you've just answered the question and cleared up the confusion.

NEDC range is 41 miles - WLTP range is 36 miles.

Therefore, even the SE Pro won't qualify for the lower tax rate.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #19
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

I believe the lower rate from April is only for cars registered after the 6th April so if you have a 330e now or get one before that date it won’t drop to the lower rate.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #20
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to some of the suggestions on here, I've learned an awful lot about emissions and WLTP this evening.

We have a 120g/km limit on emissions which means our car list for cars delivered from 6th April this year will be BMW 330e, BMW 225xe and... I think that's it - the ES300h may creep in at 120, but the UX250h goes from 94g/km to 125!

It looks like it's almost impossible to get a non-hybrid under 120g/km under WLTP.

Could be an interesting conversation with my boss and HR when I raise this!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #21
Fred321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

I know you mentioned you dont have Mercedes but as well as looking at the 330e for my next company car, the A250e saloon looks attractive as it is within the 8% band for sure. The Volvo xc40 phev isn't too bad either but is 12%. Or if registered after April they will get to those numbers after the 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #22
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

For some reason, Leaseplan get really awful rates on Volvos - the XC40 Hybrid was £570 / month!

I've just dropped a note to my boss as I don't think anyone has realised the implications of the April changes other than me!

I just love the government attitude to the problem of WLTP re-grading cars... 'we're not going to do anything'. ie. we'll happily take the extra tax and squeeze the already squeezed middle income professionals again.
Appreciate 0