Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e delivery halt

09-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #67
DanAdam2
Rep
Drives: 330e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgel View Post
After two weeks of delay I got told Monday that the car had to go back to the port for testing (Malmö, Sweden). The car has been at the dealership for a month already. The dealers are not allowed to test them. Technicians from Germany will test the cars there. The test is to charge the car over 80% battery level at least three times. If that works fine, the car can be delivered. If not, I suppose it catches fire. The only explanation for the long extra transport is that BMW doesn’t want the cars to burn at the dealerships. No one will notice a few cars burning in Malmö, cars are set on fire there every night. I am so sick of this (mostly the lack of info from BMW)[...]
Gurgel, I got similar info today and my story sounds pretty much like yours. First the delivery was delayed by covid, then weeks at the dealership, and now... I was told the car needs to be sent to the UK (from Ireland) for testing.

In my situation it most likely means I cancel the order and make another one, probably for 2021.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #68
Conrod Bent
Rep
Drives: G20 330e Sport

Quote:
After two weeks of delay I got told Monday that the car had to go back to the port for testing (Malmö, Sweden). The car has been at the dealership for a month already. The dealers are not allowed to test them. Technicians from Germany will test the cars there. The test is to charge the car over 80% battery level at least three times. If that works fine, the car can be delivered. If not, I suppose it catches fire. The only explanation for the long extra transport is that BMW doesn’t want the cars to burn at the dealerships. No one will notice a few cars burning in Malmö, cars are set on fire there every night. I am so sick of this (mostly the lack of info from BMW) I almost wish it will burn. Kind of don’t want it anymore. Built during the holidays in the middle of Civid 19. Of course it was built by summer workers. It was stupid to order one for July production.
I have also been told that my car will be tested at the port, presumably Southampton, and not at the dealership.
I’m not sure I like the sound of the test method though, how are they going to discharge the battery each time it is charged and will this stress the battery in any way.
I had imagined they would visually inspect the welds on the batteries and replace with new ones as required.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #69
Jgr1249
Private
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrod Bent View Post
I have also been told that my car will be tested at the port, presumably Southampton, and not at the dealership.
I’m not sure I like the sound of the test method though, how are they going to discharge the battery each time it is charged and will this stress the battery in any way.
I had imagined they would visually inspect the welds on the batteries and replace with new ones as required.
My understanding now is that all UK cars will be transported to Doncaster to their UK distribution centre and its pot luck where your car is on the list to call.

So at best maybe we’re looking at 2 weeks or potentially a couple of months!

I am planning to complain to bmw regarding this before I have delivery and when I know more. They ought to be giving us all a gesture of good will at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #70
AD2020
Private
Rep
Drives: 330e

I spoke to both the lease company and dealer today and got different stories from both of them.

The lease company told me the car had been cleared and just needed pre delivery checks.
The dealer told me that they weren’t so sure, but expected to know more tomorrow, then saying it would need re-valeting which could take up to a week!

I had to stop myself from telling them I’d get it done by the poles up the road, who could have it done in less than an hour and bill them for it!

This whole situation is starting to wind me up immensely and I think our Bavarian friends need to do some serious fence mending, in whatever format is appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #71
Jgr1249
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD2020 View Post
I spoke to both the lease company and dealer today and got different stories from both of them.

The lease company told me the car had been cleared and just needed pre delivery checks.
The dealer told me that they weren’t so sure, but expected to know more tomorrow, then saying it would need re-valeting which could take up to a week!

I had to stop myself from telling them I’d get it done by the poles up the road, who could have it done in less than an hour and bill them for it!

This whole situation is starting to wind me up immensely and I think our Bavarian friends need to do some serious fence mending, in whatever format is appropriate.
Crazy! Who is your supplying dealer? Seems Every dealer is giving out different messages!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #72
AD2020
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgr1249 View Post
Crazy! Who is your supplying dealer? Seems Every dealer is giving out different messages!
Williams BMW and ALD Automotive is the lease company
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #73
gpretired
Rep
Drives: M Roadster, X5 phev45

I know this is not much for those of you waiting on delivery, but at least in Europe, it seems that there is definitive test, "charge 3 times and check for smoke", which can only run by elves from the factory.

Honestly, this seems incredulous, but appears to be the best BMW has to offer. Sems no car repair requires battery replacement yet. Must be cheaper to send out the elves.

Here is the US, we have no elves and no hope for test. The wait continues (3 weeks and counting) ...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:40 AM   #74
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgr1249 View Post
Hi jack
You should normally apologise for Hi Jacking a thread...
      09-03-2020, 02:39 AM   #75
Hazzer20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330E G20

Quote:
After two weeks of delay I got told Monday that the car had to go back to the port for testing (Malmö, Sweden). The car has been at the dealership for a month already. The dealers are not allowed to test them. Technicians from Germany will test the cars there. The test is to charge the car over 80% battery level at least three times. If that works fine, the car can be delivered. If not, I suppose it catches fire. The only explanation for the long extra transport is that BMW doesn't want the cars to burn at the dealerships. No one will notice a few cars burning in Malmö, cars are set on fire there every night. I am so sick of this (mostly the lack of info from BMW) I almost wish it will burn. Kind of don't want it anymore. Built during the holidays in the middle of Civid 19. Of course it was built by summer workers. It was stupid to order one for July production.
Yeah I'm also regretting the decision, wish I went for something else. Ordered March and been told November delivery by lease company.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #76
Sotonnew
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 25e

Hi folks, my X1 25e was due to be delivered on 17th Aug and was held back the Friday before. After weeks of chasing with no information or timescales I considered cancelling and going elsewhere.
Having checked the BMW recall site each day during this time, my car came up yesterday with no codes.
I called the dealer who told me it had been checked at the docks and cleared, they said they're in the process of going through all affected vehicles as we speak so keep checking - as soon as the STOP code is cleared you can arrange delivery - rearranged for 11th Sep fingers crossed
Good luck everyone!
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2020, 04:42 AM   #77
330e_Dave
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I was due to take delivery tomorrow with both lease company and dealer not knowing any specifics. Has anyone got an affected vehicle that has been told a lead time? I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow as my lease company just adds weeks on the expected delivery when they're not sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 06:55 AM   #78
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

LeasePlan have updated my delivery estimate to the 18th of September but also said this might slip again.

Very frustrated as the car has been sat at the dealership since 31st July!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #79
Jackrack
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
You should normally apologise for Hi Jacking a thread...
I get it a lot lol.

Annoys me that people can't say hi to me on a plane either!

The car arrived in Coventry on 13th July so assume it would have been built in the weeks leading up to that date.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #80
330e_Dave
Rep

I've just had an update to say that any of the vehicles affected will need to be tested at BMW UK (dealers don't have the equipment to conduct such a test) so anything at a dealership will have to go back for the test to be completed. The test charges the battery to 100% and then discharges it, the discharge is done through a cable so doesn't require the vehicle to move. I didn't get any specifics on timescales, just once it's tested and passed they can be delivered to the dealer for the usual PDI.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #81
Jgr1249
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330e_Dave View Post
I've just had an update to say that any of the vehicles affected will need to be tested at BMW UK (dealers don't have the equipment to conduct such a test) so anything at a dealership will have to go back for the test to be completed. The test charges the battery to 100% and then discharges it, the discharge is done through a cable so doesn't require the vehicle to move. I didn't get any specifics on timescales, just once it's tested and passed they can be delivered to the dealer for the usual PDI.
It seems I am persona non grata as nobody returning my calls at presents
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #82
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So with a queue of cars to process and then the PDI it’s at least two weeks or more likely a month!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #83
AD2020
Private
Rep

Another frustrating call to the dealer today, spoke to someone else who completely contradicted what I was told yesterday.
Claims they are still waiting for BMW to tell them what to do.

Anybody got a number for BMW UK customer services?

I might bend their ear tomorrow, a nice little trip to the BMW test track outside Munich would be nice again when able....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #84
Jgr1249
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD2020 View Post
Another frustrating call to the dealer today, spoke to someone else who completely contradicted what I was told yesterday.
Claims they are still waiting for BMW to tell them what to do.

Anybody got a number for BMW UK customer services?

I might bend their ear tomorrow, a nice little trip to the BMW test track outside Munich would be nice again when able....
It’s crazy. This has to be the most they’ve messed up. Is anybody else asking for them to recompense this disruption through a good will gesture?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #85
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As mine is a company car being supplied via LeasePlan I doubt I will get anything but yet another apology!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #86
Hazzer20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330E G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
As mine is a company car being supplied via LeasePlan I doubt I will get anything but yet another apology!
Yeah agreed, I emailed the lease company asking for more information as I've been told different things and they have confirmed it but said "hopefully" will only be a couple of weeks delay, I asked about cancelling and said they have a charge for cancellations and BMW May have a charge.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #87
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@Hazzer20 I’m not keen to cancel as everything on our list has gone up since I ordered so having waited nearly 8 months a couple more weeks is bearable. My worry is if they test the car and it catches on fire, as the wait for another 330e would be a real PITA!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #88
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
@Hazzer20 I’m not keen to cancel as everything on our list has gone up since I ordered so having waited nearly 8 months a couple more weeks is bearable. My worry is if they test the car and it catches on fire, as the wait for another 330e would be a real PITA!
They wont allow it to catch fire, this will be a controlled test, and if they find an issue, they will replace the battery pack, which could be another delay as i guess one of the reasons for long lead times will be short supply of batteries.
Appreciate 0