BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Tyre pressures

12-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

Tyre pressures

So, whilst driving to take the dog a walk, the tyre pressure monitoring popped up warning of low pressure. No issues I thought, popped out to hear the air seeping out.

Swung by Bmw, who informed me that the tyres were illegal, due to being below minimum tread depth. The car has done 7900 miles, and tires pressures are alway kept at the recommended 39psi. I checked the tyres over, right enough the centre of the tyre was at the tyre marker!

So two new tyres on the back today! I’ve now set the pressures at 35psi in the hope that the tyres don’t wear prematurely.

Anyone else have similar issues?
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      12-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Have been a few complaints of premature wear. Not heard of the issue with Pilot sport 4 tyres, seems to be the other factory fitted brands.

I've got Pilot Sports and still on 4.5-5mm across the tread pattern at 10k.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:58 AM   #3
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew474 View Post
So, whilst driving to take the dog a walk, the tyre pressure monitoring popped up warning of low pressure. No issues I thought, popped out to hear the air seeping out.

Swung by Bmw, who informed me that the tyres were illegal, due to being below minimum tread depth. The car has done 7900 miles, and tires pressures are alway kept at the recommended 39psi. I checked the tyres over, right enough the centre of the tyre was at the tyre marker!

So two new tyres on the back today! I’ve now set the pressures at 35psi in the hope that the tyres don’t wear prematurely.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep a close watch on the tyre wear on mine!

I have to say less than 8k miles from a pair sounds awful though - which brand of tyre was that? My F31 335d would easily get over 20k miles from a set and with X-Drive the wear always used to be pretty even across all four wheels; I'd have expected the M340i to be similar so how much tread was left on your fronts when you had to change the rears?

And actually, with X-Drives I always thought it was considered bad practice to combine new tyres on one axle with part worn tyres on the other? I've seen it suggested that doing that can cause problems with the transfer box if the difference in tread depths between the tyres on the two axles is significant...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 04:45 AM   #4
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:

Wow only 7900 miles!

On my previous F31 I was told by my local tyre garage to keep the tyres hard, at least 40 to get the best best mileage. I followed their advice and I got over 20k on a couple of sets of Goodyears.

My new 340d has Bridgestones fitted from the factory so I hope they last the pace.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
Wow only 7900 miles!

On my previous F31 I was told by my local tyre garage to keep the tyres hard, at least 40 to get the best best mileage. I followed their advice and I got over 20k on a couple of sets of Goodyears.

My new 340d has Bridgestones fitted from the factory so I hope they last the pace.
Run flat's? Turanza's?? Given the way mine wore and others with the same tyre, you'll be very, very lucky if you see beyond 10,000.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Run flat's? Turanza's?? Given the way mine wore and others with the same tyre, you'll be very, very lucky if you see beyond 10,000.
My Turanza run flats are just over 9k and getting ready for the bin. About 2mm left on rears and not much more on fronts.
Probably going non run flats next but not sure if I will fit all seasons or summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
JNW1
Major General
Rep

What on earth are some of you chaps doing to be getting less than 10k miles from a set of tyres?! The only way I could imagine wearing-out a set of rubber in that mileage is if I was turning the traction control off and pretending to be Lewis Hamilton at every roundabout!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep

This is by no means driving hard all the time. The wear appeared to be focused on the center of the tyre. I think there was about 3mm elsewhere. So my thinking was that the pressures are off. The fronts have about 3mm. Again, a tad more wear in the middle. I have dropped all pressures to 35psi. See how I go with that.

I was very disappointed with the amount of wear on the tyres. They aren’t even that good! Bridgestones btw.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:05 AM   #9
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2019

I’ve had to swap my rears which I got around 11k out of them.

Both tyres worn in the middle and plenty left on the edges. My tyres supplier said it looks like they’ve been over inflated but I’ve always had them .1 bar less than the recommended pressure.

Strange thing is, no matter what pressure I set them at, my system always recommends they’re set another .1 bar more.

(Put another .1 in and it recommends a further .1 bar)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 03:39 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

May not be due to the pressure setting, could be centrifugal growth. Influenced by the type of use.

Is it only on cars with the wider rear 255 section tires?

Out of interest, how are the front tires wearing by comparison on the xDrive models?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This is by no means driving hard all the time. The wear appeared to be focused on the center of the tyre. I think there was about 3mm elsewhere. So my thinking was that the pressures are off. The fronts have about 3mm. Again, a tad more wear in the middle. I have dropped all pressures to 35psi. See how I go with that.

I was very disappointed with the amount of wear on the tyres. They aren’t even that good! Bridgestones btw.
In light of this I'm going to be very interested to see what the tyre wear's like on my G21 M340i!

The F31 335d it replaced was probably the kindest on tyre wear of any car I've ever had and that's quite a few as I've been driving almost 40 years! As I said earlier in the thread, that car would easily get 20k miles from a set and the tyre wear was also pretty even across all four wheels; I was fully expecting the M340i to be very similar but given the comments above perhaps not?

Interestingly the recommended tyre pressures for my car on Michelin's website are 36 psi front and rear which is slightly lower than the 39 suggested on the label on the door pillar inside the driver's door. From memory I always used to run my F31 at around mid-30's so given some of the comments on here I think I might adopt Michelin's recommendation for my G21; 39 does seem a touch on the high side for normal, unladen, use.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
In light of this I'm going to be very interested to see what the tyre wear's like on my G21 M340i!

The F31 335d it replaced was probably the kindest on tyre wear of any car I've ever had and that's quite a few as I've been driving almost 40 years! As I said earlier in the thread, that car would easily get 20k miles from a set and the tyre wear was also pretty even across all four wheels; I was fully expecting the M340i to be very similar but given the comments above perhaps not?

Interestingly the recommended tyre pressures for my car on Michelin's website are 36 psi front and rear which is slightly lower than the 39 suggested on the label on the door pillar inside the driver's door. From memory I always used to run my F31 at around mid-30's so given some of the comments on here I think I might adopt Michelin's recommendation for my G21; 39 does seem a touch on the high side for normal, unladen, use.
My expectations were the same. My 435d was ok with the tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
May not be due to the pressure setting, could be centrifugal growth. Influenced by the type of use.

Is it only on cars with the wider rear 255 section tires?

Out of interest, how are the front tires wearing by comparison on the xDrive models?
Pete, it seems like the fronts have similar wear to the rears. As I said, I’m hoping its just the pressures noted are too high. Failing that, the cars going to cost a fortune on tyres!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
Zorrotwo
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman15 View Post
My Turanza run flats are just over 9k and getting ready for the bin. About 2mm left on rears and not much more on fronts.
Probably going non run flats next but not sure if I will fit all seasons or summer.
Wow. I sincerely hope I get more than 10k but by looking at all the threads this seems impossible. Luckily I have only a couple of hundred done thus far.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
Silverage2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3 series, G20 M Sport

Mine has been complaining about the tyre pressures it seems like every day since the colder weather arrived. I’ve been messing about resetting them to get the warning to go away. Today when it popped up again I actually looked at what it thought the pressures were: 1.8 bar all round. When I converted that to PSI I was amazed to find they’re only at 25 PSI - no wonder it was complaining! I’ve no idea how that has happened or how they have all come down to the same low setting. I’ve bumped them all up to 36 PSI now.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #16
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
What on earth are some of you chaps doing to be getting less than 10k miles from a set of tyres?! The only way I could imagine wearing-out a set of rubber in that mileage is if I was turning the traction control off and pretending to be Lewis Hamilton at every roundabout!

My experience is as quoted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzie’s BM View Post
I’ve had to swap my rears which I got around 11k out of them.

Both tyres worn in the middle and plenty left on the edges. My tyres supplier said it looks like they’ve been over inflated but I’ve always had them .1 bar less than the recommended pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #17
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just out of interest do you have the LSD and/or adaptive suspension?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #18
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just out of interest do you have the LSD and/or adaptive suspension?
Yes to both LSD and adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverage2 View Post
Mine has been complaining about the tyre pressures it seems like every day since the colder weather arrived. I've been messing about resetting them to get the warning to go away. Today when it popped up again I actually looked at what it thought the pressures were: 1.8 bar all round. When I converted that to PSI I was amazed to find they're only at 25 PSI - no wonder it was complaining! I've no idea how that has happened or how they have all come down to the same low setting. I've bumped them all up to 36 PSI now.
The air in the tires becomes denser as temperatures drop, thus lowering the pressure inside

Just remember to recheck your pressures when temps rise back up

Nitrogen is a good alternative as it is far less influenced by temperature fluctuations
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #20
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes to both LSD and adaptive suspension.
I don't think everyone else who has mentioned poor wear has both but the fact we do must come into the equation somehow.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #21
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Any tire with a 280 treadwear rating will likely not last beyond 20k miles, such is the downfall of performance and high performance tires.
There are too many factors to mention that come into play, but in the case of the centerline wearing faster than the shoulders, overinflation is a likely culprit. Unless there's another reason a runflat would wear more on the centerline compared to a go-flat, maybe it's a case of the overall stiffness of the runflat causing it behave differently

Currently running 12k on Bridestone S001 runflats and about half the life left on them
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #22
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't think everyone else who has mentioned poor wear has both but the fact we do must come into the equation somehow.
I completely agree but personally I very rarely use adaptive mode, I'm more of a comfort person. I do have the odd Sport Plus blast to blow the cobwebs off as whats the point in having an M Sport to drive around like Miss Daisy all the time.

Diesels, if I'm not mistaken don't have LSD and then of course there are X Drive models, all with very different characteristics. From my very limited experience and brief reading of forums, if you have Turanza's fitted, you're screwed regarding anywhere near half decent mileage. This of course isn't scientific and is a very sweeping statement. All I know is that come the next couple of thousand miles I clock up, I shall be parting with some pennies to put anything on the car that isn't a Turanza.

I will keep the forum updated with my end mileage and how the next set of rubber pans out, whatever I choose.
Appreciate 0