Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Folding Mirrors

12-06-2020, 04:35 AM   #1
PauloBairn
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d Sport

Folding Mirrors

Good morning all, not a massive issue but first couple of cold days (-2) and my mirrors have been getting stuck solid in the closed position, slightly worried it could damage the motor mechanism. Has anybody else had this issue and found a solution (other than pouring warm water over them ). I have had several other cars with auto fold out mirrors and never encountered this issue before. As a temporary solution I've set them to stay in the "out" position when I lock the car but hope there is someone out there who has come up with a creative solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloBairn View Post
Good morning all, not a massive issue but first couple of cold days (-2) and my mirrors have been getting stuck solid in the closed position, slightly worried it could damage the motor mechanism. Has anybody else had this issue and found a solution (other than pouring warm water over them ). I have had several other cars with auto fold out mirrors and never encountered this issue before. As a temporary solution I've set them to stay in the "out" position when I lock the car but hope there is someone out there who has come up with a creative solution.
Guess it may be sticking due to water being present then freezing
Blow the water out? Or heat?
Do you keep car in the garage?
      12-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Greetings fellow ‘Bairn’

Spray some WD40 to expel any water where the mirrors fold. It was also inhibit any further water lingering there....

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
PauloBairn
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Thanks Tam the Bam (loving your nom de plume by the way) will give the WD40 a go.
JohnBoy - unfortunately i don't have a garage so its out in all weathers. I'm sure BMW would have factored that into their design or maybe not given the last few escapades with the mirrors
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Used to get this issue every winter without fail on an old E93. A spray of WD40 Worked a treat. Reapplied after a few weeks when there was the beast from the east. Eventually come winter I coded out folding mirrors then re-enabled them in the summer. Mirror folding can now be dis/abled via the iDrive on the G20.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 01:30 PM   #6
PauloBairn
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep

Thanks for the input Soul Glo. I have temporarily disabled the mirrors via idrive but keeping them out isn't an option long term as my work car park spaces seem to have been designed with Minis in mind so its a bit of a squeeze. Will try the WD40 and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:10 AM   #7
Dpfghela
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

Quote:
Hello,

My drivers mirror stopped working. Was told by a BMW service rep it's because the electrical wiring gets caught and becomes defective???

The anti-dazzle solution between the glass also burst causing the whole mirror to go black.

Had the whole unit replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0