Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Connected Drive account vs BMW ID?

12-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
gregch
Private
Rep
Drives: G22 420i

Connected Drive account vs BMW ID?

We're due to collect our new 4 series and have been sent a bunch of info about getting to know the new car... one thing is setting up a driver profile/connected drive account/BMW ID.

As far as I can understand, the driver profile is simple to understand (saves your preferred car settings) and can be (or needs to be) matched to a BMW Connected Drive account (online services, etc). But is that the same thing as a BMW ID (required for the myBMW app)?

In other words, is a BMW Connected Drive account the same as a BMW ID? And can my wife and I each have our own BMW Connected Drive account and/or BMW ID matched to our own respective driver profiles?

I realise we can ask at the dealership, but will probably forget and will want to drive off in our new car asap; so pointers in advance are most welcome!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
Jabba1980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G21 330i

I think (?) they are the same thing. Pretty sure I only ever created a connected drive account, and just use this to login to the bmw app.

Never done this but I believe both yourself and your wife can have your own connected drive accounts, and add the same VIN to both.

(Edit based on comments below - VIN can only be added to one account on the BMW app).

When In the car after unlocking with 1st set of keys, login to the connected drive account as yourself. Your profile will then be associated with that set of keys. Lock the car. Then repeat with 2nd set of keys, but use your wifes connected drive account.

Hoping someone who has done this will clarify, but I think that's how it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #3
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

I believe they're all consolidated now under your MyBMW account.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 03:16 AM   #4
gregch
Private
Rep

Thanks for this info. I probably need to read the manual and experiment a little bit, but so far it doesn't look like it's possible to have two connected drive accounts (aka bmw IDs) sharing the same VIN.

Set my wife up, using the MyBMW app on her phone, added the VIN, and that seemingly worked OK - the app has the right car info and receives fuel level info etc from the car. Sadly, when I went to set up the MyBMW app on my phone, using my connected drive/BMW ID, it wouldn't let me add the same VIN. (error message along the lines "the VIN is in use by another account, if you continue it will be removed from the other account".

So unless I'm missing something (highly likely!) it seems that you can't have two accounts associated with the same VIN, or at least not as far as the MyBMW app is concerned?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 03:30 AM   #5
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregch View Post
Thanks for this info. I probably need to read the manual and experiment a little bit, but so far it doesn't look like it's possible to have two connected drive accounts (aka bmw IDs) sharing the same VIN.

Set my wife up, using the My BMW app on her phone, added the VIN, and that seemingly worked OK - the app has the right car info and receives fuel level info etc from the car. Sadly, when I went to set up the My BMW app on my phone, using my connected drive/BMW ID, it wouldn't let me add the same VIN. (error message along the lines "the VIN is in use by another account, if you continue it will be removed from the other account".

So unless I'm missing something (highly likely!) it seems that you can't have two accounts associated with the same VIN, or at least not as far as the MyBMW app is concerned?
Hi - that's what I have found - one vehicle, one VIN and one BMW ID. You can create a second BMW ID, but can't associate it to the already allocated VIN. That said, no problem will two car profiles and associating each profile to different keys such that when you / your partner use different keys, you individual profile is activated.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 04:18 AM   #6
gregch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
Hi - that's what I have found - one vehicle, one VIN and one BMW ID. You can create a second BMW ID, but can't associate it to the already allocated VIN. That said, no problem will two car profiles and associating each profile to different keys such that when you / your partner use different keys, you individual profile is activated.
Thanks for the confirmation, at least it's reassuring to know I haven't misunderstood. As you say, not too much of a problem so long as we can each have our own car profile associated with our own key. (Though it would have been ideal to each be able to manage the car via our own connected drive account and each have the app, etc... maybe that's asking too much!).

Will spend some time today trying to figure out how to set everything up, but so far (it's only day 2) the car is really impressive!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 04:20 AM   #7
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregch View Post
(Though it would have been ideal to each be able to manage the car via our own connected drive account and each have the app, etc... maybe that's asking too much!).
This is the whay I have it set up. One VIN and one BMW ID. Two profiles in the car each set to a different key. The wife has myBMW on her phone and just logs in with my BMW ID. So she has access to pre-conditioning etc when using the car.

The car does seem to get a bit confused sometimes when we are both in the car with both keys. The other day I was driving and she went off to a shop whilst I found somewhere to park and waited in the car. When she came back and touched the passenger door handle to get in, it activated her profile and squashed me up against the steering wheel.
      12-19-2021, 04:29 AM   #8
gregch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
This is the whay I have it set up. One VIN and one BMW ID. Two profiles in the car each set to a different key. The wife has myBMW on her phone and just logs in with my BMW ID. So she has access to pre-conditioning etc when using the car.

The car does seem to get a bit confused sometimes when we are both in the car with both keys. The other day I was driving and she went off to a shop whilst I found somewhere to park and waited in the car. When she came back and touched the passenger door handle to get in, it activated her profile and squashed me up against the steering wheel.

I have that to look forward to! But thank you that seems like the obvious answer - share the login details for the app, and then use our keys to select our own driver profiles (and be careful about whose key is around when getting in and out!!)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #9
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

My car seems to like my wife’s profile better than mine, so if we both get in the car with our keys it defaults to her profile. However, it also usually pops up a message asking if I want to use her profile, so I have an option to change if I catch it before it times out.

What I find odd is that there is no all-user profile settings. For example, if my wife and I like the same radio stations and climate control settings, we have to log in under each profile and make the same choices. I appreciate being able to choose, but sometimes you just want to set something once and have it apply to all drivers.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:22 AM   #10
gregch
Private
Rep

Just to say thanks again for the pointers on this; seem to have successfully set up two profiles, each one matched to its connected drive account and its respective key. A little bit annoying that only one account can use the app, but not sure how useful the app really is. The car seems to set itself to the profile of who's key opens it first, so hopefully that will work OK.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2021, 05:33 AM   #11
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The app has quite a bit of useful information, but very limited functionality. Doesn't even have ability to remotely close windows/sunroof... which is flipping annoying when you happen to notice on the app one of the windows is open and you are half a mile away in the shops, and it's just started raining.

I think lock/unlock is about the only useful thing it does, and ability to start the heating on a cold morning. Never had the need to flash the lights.
      12-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #12
gregch
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think lock/unlock is about the only useful thing it does, and ability to start the heating on a cold morning. Never had the need to flash the lights.
Starting the heating remotely would be genuinely useful, but on our (non-electric) car that option isn't available anyway :-(
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #13
user1811
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
The app has quite a bit of useful information, but very limited functionality. Doesn't even have ability to remotely close windows/sunroof... which is flipping annoying when you happen to notice on the app one of the windows is open and you are half a mile away in the shops, and it's just started raining.
Almost surely a difference between what is technically possible and what is actually allowed. Imagine the mischief: You leave a window open and lurk nearby. A passer-by sticks his head inside to have a look and you immediately press 'close windows' Great fun but probably isn't going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:25 AM   #14
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1811 View Post
Almost surely a difference between what is technically possible and what is actually allowed. Imagine the mischief: You leave a window open and lurk nearby. A passer-by sticks his head inside to have a look and you immediately press 'close windows' Great fun but probably isn't going to happen.
You can achieve the same using the keyfob if close enough (irrespective of line of sight) and thats allowed.

You are probably correct, but thought that's why electric windows have had pinch protection for 20+ years. To protect toddlers and societies dumbest.

Last edited by willougs; 12-21-2021 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0