Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Only have 2 days a week to workout...need a routine

02-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Only have 2 days a week to workout...need a routine

hey guys...i know there are a lot of workout heads in here...and i haven't posted much since starting back to school. but therein lies my problem...now that i'm back in school...i really only have 2 days (sat and sun) that i have time to work out. i'm not terribly out of shape...since i used to work out pretty consistently...but i'm looking to maintain a "working out" appearance. i have a gym membership so i have access to any type of equipment. can anyone suggest or point me in the direction of a good workout that fits into 2 days a week?

i know this isn't the best scenario by far...and i'm severely limited due to the number of days...but there has to be something that will keep me in decent shape as long as my diet is kept within reason. heavy weights...light weights...doesn't matter...i just need something so my body doesn't feel so lethargic.

thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Redcapote
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Wake up earlier and hit the gym on a couple of weekdays. Stop making excuses (such as I don't have time). You chose to be lethargic, you can choose to be hardcore.

Routine? Pay a personal trainer for a few visits. You've got the money for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcapote View Post
Wake up earlier and hit the gym on a couple of weekdays. Stop making excuses (such as I don't have time). You chose to be lethargic, you can choose to be hardcore.

Routine? Pay a personal trainer for a few visits. You've got the money for it.
thanks for the feedback sir. i've never been one to make excuses...but i'm up by 0600 for work....and don't get home til almost 1100pm at night...5 days a week. i'm going to be honest and tell you right now that i'm not going to be "hardcore" enough to wake up at 4 or 5am to get a quick workout in...i'd be soo tired it wouldn't even be productive.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Redcapote
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
thanks for the feedback sir. i've never been one to make excuses...but i'm up by 0600 for work....and don't get home til almost 1100pm at night...5 days a week. i'm going to be honest and tell you right now that i'm not going to be "hardcore" enough to wake up at 4 or 5am to get a quick workout in...i'd be soo tired it wouldn't even be productive.
That's just not healthy, man. Change some things or your health is going to suffer. If I were you, I'd do cycling classes on both days that you could (or run if that's not an option), and heavy strength-training. Whatever you can do for yourself in 2 days, you better do it, because your work schedule is going to kill you otherwise. Seriously.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcapote View Post
That's just not healthy, man. Change some things or your health is going to suffer. If I were you, I'd do cycling classes on both days that you could (or run if that's not an option), and heavy strength-training. Whatever you can do for yourself in 2 days, you better do it, because your work schedule is going to kill you otherwise. Seriously.
school is a sacrifice that i will have to make right now...i've put it off long enough. it's a pretty brutal schedule...one that i haven't had to deal with before. but it should only be for the next year and a half...so i'm going to try to make the best out of the available time i have during this period. i never feel better (mentally, physically, etc) then after a good workout. that's why i know it's imperative that i remain active...even if it's only for two days a week.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Regardless of what you do, you're going to be exhausted. Your work/school schedule is too demanding, you're not getting enough sleep during the week to really recover, etc... There's just too many factors in your life. Things need to change, but it seems like a real personal thing that you can't really get advice from any of us on.

Maybe instead of a consistent workout routine, you should focus on a hardcore maintenance diet to try to keep off the fat until your schedule opens up a bit. The only reason I say this is because two days a week doesn't quite cut it. And if you're not home until 1100 PM, by the time you wind down and finally sleep, you're maybe getting what 5 hours of actual good sleep a night? That's pretty bad...

Like Red mentioned... Do anything possible on those two days I guess, but you'll be struggling a lot unless you change some other things...
      02-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Try the 5X5 routine, at least it's a fully body workout with compound movements.
      02-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Try the 5X5 routine, at least it's a fully body workout with compound movements.
i actually downloaded that 5x5 app on my phone last week....and was going to check it out. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Just my opinion but having been there, done that, my suggestion would be to just try harder to watch what you eat, drink as much water every day as you can, and try and see if you can get more sleep, or at least as much quality sleep as you can.

I'm probably most in line with Templar's way of thinking here. You know what your priorities are, and if you let anybody here convince you otherwise that's just wrong. Lots of us have made sacrifices. IMHO, it sounds like you understand the proper order of things.

Deal is, there's no such thing as a 2 day a week program for your situation or anybody elses. Just do what you can do and accept such is life. For me personally, with your schedule, I'd consider nothing more than maybe running a few miles on the weekend and maybe (MAYBE) some light weights for 30 minutes or so and be happy with it. The main thing you're shooting for is for the body to just not go to hell in a wastebasket before time allows for you to get back into a more normal routine w/o sacrificing the things that are more important in the long run than muscle.

Just my .02,
Rus
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscoupe View Post
Just my opinion but having been there, done that, my suggestion would be to just try harder to watch what you eat, drink as much water every day as you can, and try and see if you can get more sleep, or at least as much quality sleep as you can.

I'm probably most in line with Templar's way of thinking here. You know what your priorities are, and if you let anybody here convince you otherwise that's just wrong. Lots of us have made sacrifices. IMHO, it sounds like you understand the proper order of things.

Deal is, there's no such thing as a 2 day a week program for your situation or anybody elses. Just do what you can do and accept such is life. For me personally, with your schedule, I'd consider nothing more than maybe running a few miles on the weekend and maybe (MAYBE) some light weights for 30 minutes or so and be happy with it. The main thing you're shooting for is for the body to just not go to hell in a wastebasket before time allows for you to get back into a more normal routine w/o sacrificing the things that are more important in the long run than muscle.
Just my .02,
Rus
this is pretty much spot on with what i was thinking...i just need some type of physical activity so that my body stays somewhat responsive. in reading back at my prior posts...i was a little unclear as to what my schedule entails. basically i'm up by 6am for work....after work i have about 45min before school...and then i don't get home from school until about 11pm.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscoupe View Post

Just my .02,
Rus
Truth.

Working out for gains or losses is really the sacrifice you're making. School/work take priority in this case. You'll just have to deal with the fact that you will have to work out only a little bit during the next year or so. Focus on your diet as much as possible, since that is something you can definitely control with less time/effort. It will help reduce the negative effects from not working out as much.
      02-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

If your just looking for something to do to "Stay in shape", I'd suggest finding a gym that offers boxing classes. Boxing for an hour or 2, two days a week will keep you in shape. I personally work 6Am to 6PM Monday through Friday. I wake up at 4AM, don't get home till 7PM. Then I'll stay up till around midnight or so before going to sleep, so I myself only get about 4 hours of sleep also. I've been training in Martial Arts for quite some time now and let me tell you, I take classes 3 days a week and I can run circles around most people. It may not build muscle, but you gain strength and stamina, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Don't k ow if boxing OR Martial Arts is your thing tho. Just my .02

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

the 2 days you have to work out, i would do a lot of cardio... and since you work a lot and arent able to get to the gym on the days you work, get some stuff for your house, all you need really is a exercise ball, pull up bar, and a few sets of dumbells

with the ball do your core excercises
pull up bar is a must!!
dumbells- your normal arms, back, chest, and push ups

when you get home from work all you need is a good high intensity work out 30-45 min, and just dont rest inbetween exercises

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Your job is literally killing you slowly! Change jobs! Your health is A LOT more important!