Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Ceramic Coating

10-21-2019, 05:28 AM   #23
Brett240
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akzz View Post
Looks glossy AF ! How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking ??
500, including 6 months of hand washes ( every two weeks ), plus a monthly full detail.

too good to pass up
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:30 AM   #24
akzz
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett240 View Post
Quote:
Looks glossy AF ! How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking ??
500, including 6 months of hand washes ( every two weeks ), plus a monthly full detail.

too good to pass up

That's dirty cheap ! Did it include any paint correction ?? What company is this ??
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #25
Brett240
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's dirty cheap ! Did it include any paint correction ?? What company is this ??
a local detailer behind the car dealerships near where i live. will have to drive by and check the name - but thats your best bet. find where the dealerships are getting it done and eliminate the middle man.

wash - clay bar, and ceramic coat.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:16 PM   #26
akzz
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
a local detailer behind the car dealerships near where i live. will have to drive by and check the name - but thats your best bet. find where the dealerships are getting it done and eliminate the middle man.

wash - clay bar, and ceramic coat.
Yeh makes sense but surprised they didn't polish or clear any imperfections before applying the ceramic coat.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 12:37 AM   #27
Brett240
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeh makes sense but surprised they didn't polish or clear any imperfections before applying the ceramic coat.
to be honest i cant remember the exact procedure. i full polish prior to ceramic coat sounds about right. will ask when i go in for a wash
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #28
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
to be honest i cant remember the exact procedure. i full polish prior to ceramic coat sounds about right. will ask when i go in for a wash
Polish not always necessary, but seems to be preferable for most detailers and enthusiasts. With a bright enough lights you can find imperfections in almost any paint job
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #29
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Technically speaking, all paint treatment and the cleaning it requires beforehand should be done in a cleanroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Polish not always necessary, but seems to be preferable for most detailers and enthusiasts. With a bright enough lights you can find imperfections in almost any paint job
themnmd1687.00
      11-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #30
DrMilan
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 30i, G20 330i, G05 40i

i did Cquartz on mine, no paint correction or claybar was required as i did it pretty much 2 days after the car was delivered to me just gave it a good wash, my mate commented on how smooth the paint feels, i did 2 coats of cquartz! good product! $85
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #31
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

I have gtechniq plus full front Suntek Ultra PPF
Even ex factory there are still minor paint defects and contaminants that ideally should be removed for the best finish *sparkle* ✨
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 02:49 AM   #32
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
When I collected the car from the dealer there were some light scratches visible on the paint in direct sunlight. I did a wash, clay, decontamination, single stage paint correction then applied 2 coats of CQuartz UK3.0. Cost me around $150 for the products plus a few hours of work.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #33
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
When I collected the car from the dealer there were some light scratches visible on the paint in direct sunlight. I did a wash, clay, decontamination, single stage paint correction then applied 2 coats of CQuartz UK3.0. Cost me around $150 for the products plus a few hours of work.
That's pretty good! Love to see a photo of your work.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 03:23 AM   #34
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
That's pretty good! Love to see a photo of your work.
Here are some 'after' shots. I didn't take any close up shots on the day unfortunately
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
GTR33R27.50
      04-27-2021, 01:45 AM   #35
rahul.r
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i MSport

Any recommendations for PPF and ceramic coating in Adelaide?

At the moment I'm leaning towards my local tintacar where I can also get the window tints done.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 02:02 AM   #36
Enobar
Rep
Drives: BMW M340xi M-Performance

I chatted today with Adam at Eye Candy Detailing and he seemed to know what was what. I am going to take mine there I think (when I get it) and get the inside done, and 2 or 3 coats done on the outside. He quoted me $330 for the Inside and $990 for single coat outside, with $350 for each additional coat outside. I will go at least 2, maybe 3 outside coats because my car will be living on the street and never garaged, so I want it to have some extra protection.

When are you expecting your G20 to arrive?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 02:09 AM   #37
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul.r View Post
Any recommendations for PPF and ceramic coating in Adelaide?

At the moment I'm leaning towards my local tintacar where I can also get the window tints done.
Elite Finish
15 Oaklands Road
Somerton Park SA 5044
Australia
+61 433 700 139
elitefinish.com.au

Hamish does an excellent job with ceramic OptiCoat Plus and the guys do an excellent job with window tinting. They will advise and suggest what tinting you can choose for your car.
They also do PPF protective film (I do not have this on my car). But they do many high end vehicles. Check their website.

I have been using Elite for 8 years on four different cars and have been more than satisfied with the quality of their workmanship.
My current M340 was looked after by Elite a day after I picked it up from the dealership.

Give them a call.
      04-27-2021, 02:36 AM   #38
rahul.r
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Elite Finish
15 Oaklands Road
Somerton Park SA 5044
Australia
+61 433 700 139
elitefinish.com.au

Hamish does an excellent job with ceramic OptiCoat Plus and the guys do an excellent job with window tinting. They will advise and suggest what tinting you can choose for your car.
They also do PPF protective film (I do not have this on my car). But they do many high end vehicles. Check their website.

I have been using Elite for 8 years on four different cars and have been more than satisfied with the quality of their workmanship.
My current M340 was looked after by Elite a day after I picked it up from the dealership.

Give them a call.
Hi SteveAus, I was hoping you would reply. Thankyou! I was trawling through some of the old threads here and chanced upon your recommendation of Elite Finish Adelaide and already went through website!

Also I've one more question for you. What percentage tint did you choose? I'm inclined towards 35% fronts and 25% rears, the non-ceramic types specifically because I want to avoid the instrument cluster dimming issues that seem to be common with these G20s.

P.S. My 330i is scheduled to be off the boat later today in Melbourne and I'm trying to line up all these mods.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:02 AM   #39
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi SteveAus, I was hoping you would reply. Thankyou! I was trawling through some of the old threads here and chanced upon your recommendation of Elite Finish Adelaide and already went through website!

Also I've one more question for you. What percentage tint did you choose? I'm inclined towards 35% fronts and 25% rears, the non-ceramic types specifically because I want to avoid the instrument cluster dimming issues that seem to be common with these G20s.

P.S. My 330i is scheduled to be off the boat later today in Melbourne and I'm trying to line up all these mods.
I see what you say regarding the tint.
I went with 20% rear and 28% fronts. And to be honest it was darker than I had been familiar with in the past. It has taken me a while to get used to it.
I get the occasional cluster dimming issue that others have mentioned, but this doesn’t bother me much as I almost exclusively use the HUD.
You might be better with 28% rear and 35% front, as you suggested. The guys at Elite will be able to sort out the right tint for you.

After the car lands, this is the worst part of the waiting game....so close, but still so far.......customs, transport to Adelaide, and vehicle PDI.
As a rough guess, you should have your hands on your new toy in a couple weeks tops. Let’s hope it’s a bit quicker!!!!
      04-27-2021, 05:47 AM   #40
rahul.r
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I went with 20% rear and 28% fronts. And to be honest it was darker than I had been familiar with in the past. It has taken me a while to get used to it.
I get the occasional cluster dimming issue that others have mentioned, but this doesn’t bother me much as I almost exclusively use the HUD.
You might be better with 28% rear and 35% front, as you suggested. The guys at Elite will be able to sort out the right tint for you.

After the car lands, this is the worst part of the waiting game....so close, but still so far.......customs, transport to Adelaide, and vehicle PDI.
As a rough guess, you should have your hands on your new toy in a couple weeks tops. Let’s hope it’s a bit quicker!!!!
Ahh.. thanks for the tip, I'll get in touch with the Elite guys as soon as I get a delivery date estimate from the dealership.

Yep the waiting game is terrible, confirmed the order on 2nd Feb and have been tracking the ship over the past month. Now I'm ready with the prixcar website to track it once on land.

This will be a new experience for me, I've always been an SUV guy and this will be my first sporty sedan.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 06:35 AM   #41
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Funny this thread has popped up. I had my car cleaned last week and the guy asked me about paint protection and whether I had it done. I actually never thought about it.

Is it worth it ?Any recommendations for somewhere in Melbourne?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #42
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornadogM340i View Post
Funny this thread has popped up. I had my car cleaned last week and the guy asked me about paint protection and whether I had it done. I actually never thought about it.

Purely personal choice. And depends to a certain extent on what kind of driving you do. It you do a lot of country driving, you might want to think about PPF to reduce the number of paint chips on the front of the car.
I have only paint protection and not PPF film on my car.
The ceramic coating makes the car and wheels much easier to clean and prevents bird poo and tree sap getting into the clear coat of your car. As an added bonus it also makes the paint “pop” in the sunlight.
The choice is yours......
      04-28-2021, 12:34 AM   #43
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I get the occasional cluster dimming issue that others have mentioned, but this doesn't bother me much as I almost exclusively use the HUD.

As a rough guess, you should have your hands on your new toy in a couple weeks tops. Let's hope it's a bit quicker!!!!
Ahh.. thanks for the tip, I'll get in touch with the Elite guys as soon as I get a delivery date estimate from the dealership.

Yep the waiting game is terrible, confirmed the order on 2nd Feb and have been tracking the ship over the past month. Now I'm ready with the prixcar website to track it once on land.

This will be a new experience for me, I've always been an SUV guy and this will be my first sporty sedan.
Sedans all the way !
Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      04-28-2021, 02:08 AM   #44
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornadogM340i View Post

I'm in Melbourne. The guys at Box Hill tint-a-car did my ceramic coating together with the window tinting. I'm not sure about the quality of the work but after two years, car still looks good and is still very easy to wash.

We are changing over our family SUV in June and I'm going to try LiquidR in Mitcham (recommended by a colleague). It's about $500 more expensive and will see if there's a discernible difference in the quality.
Appreciate 0