Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i wind noise

12-20-2019, 02:34 AM   #45
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Maybe a little quieter than the f30. Very quiet unless in sport mode at WOT. Then no so quiet. And if you keep at wot. Then around 120 plus the passengers start screaming. Not quiet.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #46
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
F30's have wind noise, G20's are vault like quiet.
Mine doesn't. It used to confuse me on very windy days. I would think my alignment was off. I eventually figured out it was the wind pushing the car around, but I just couldn't hear it. If the G20 is quieter, I can't imagine it makes a noticeable difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #47
klokan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Update: I thought I was having wind noise until I heard it at a stop!! It's the vent system somehow whistling at my drivers window. Turn up the vent, wind noise gets louder, turn it off, goes away. Speed affects it a little I presume due to air flow into vent system.

Can anyone else replicate this?
I can.

If you look closely at the spot where window glass meets the door, above the locking pin, you'll see that you're able to squeeze something (like a 1mm thick rubber, or plastic, or whatever you want) into two "lines" between door panel and window. One line is closer to the door, other is closer to the glass.

When I push something into the second one, closer to the glass, above the locking pin (you can experiment a little, my "spot" is few cm on the right, not exactly above), whistle dissapears.

My car is awesome, but three things are really driving me crazy. This sound from the drivers door, rattle from the opposite door, and boot rattle. I feel like going to the dealership, leaving car there and tell them not to call me until it's solved. But what I will drive then? No loaners here.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5242.50
      12-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #48
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Here are the images of front driver window and rear passenger window.

You can clearly see the layered sandwich construction of the front window.

Did anyone from the US check their front windows? Are they dual pane? I just checked my fully spec'd M340i (I'm in Canada) and it's only single pane. Pretty disappointing to see, but it's still quieter than my B9 S5.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #49
john!smith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

i have test driven a m340i on the german autobahn. the traffic let me only do 220kmh for a short distance but it was surprisingly quiet. my 5 series f11 is not that quiet. i was really impressed. same with my previous mercedes e550 ... the g20 is a real benchmark in its class in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 02:17 AM   #50
klokan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keya View Post
i have test driven a m340i on the german autobahn. the traffic let me only do 220kmh for a short distance but it was surprisingly quiet. my 5 series f11 is not that quiet. i was really impressed. same with my previous mercedes e550 ... the g20 is a real benchmark in its class in my opinion.
I also drove very fast in Germany, and yes, it's very quiet car, if you provide good roads. Some of the roads in Germany are universe class, not world class, I couldn't believe how quiet my car was. We were driving 160 km/h and had to talk quietly, because we didn't want to wake up the kids in the rear seats. And 200+ km/h was also very nice, comfortable, planted.

The car is very quiet, until some annoyance comes up, like that whistle in the left door, or rattle in the right door, or boot rattle or sunroof rattle (for people who have it)... That can be really, REALLY annoying, especially because car is so quiet in general and these things can drive you mad...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:29 AM   #51
john!smith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by klokan View Post
I also drove very fast in Germany, and yes, it's very quiet car, if you provide good roads. Some of the roads in Germany are universe class, not world class, I couldn't believe how quiet my car was. We were driving 160 km/h and had to talk quietly, because we didn't want to wake up the kids in the rear seats. And 200+ km/h was also very nice, comfortable, planted.

The car is very quiet, until some annoyance comes up, like that whistle in the left door, or rattle in the right door, or boot rattle or sunroof rattle (for people who have it)... That can be really, REALLY annoying, especially because car is so quiet in general and these things can drive you mad...
i uderstand... there should be no whistle and no rattle in that new car. they spend so much time in making a car qiet as possible.

but i had rattle in the panaroma runroof in my mercedes. went to the dealer and we made a test drive... after that, they fixed the problem. so i would recommend to do the same. just let bmw check that annoying noises. it is not usualband also not acceptable in this price class.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #52
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Did anyone from the US check their front windows? Are they dual pane? I just checked my fully spec'd M340i (I'm in Canada) and it's only single pane. Pretty disappointing to see, but it's still quieter than my B9 S5.
It’s the same on my 330i. Single pane.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #53
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
It’s the same on my 330i. Single pane.
I wonder if any North American models got dual pane? Most likely another thing we get shafted on compared to European models (historically).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #54
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
I wonder if any North American models got dual pane? Most likely another thing we get shafted on compared to European models (historically).
I think dual pane glass (driver and co-driver) was never mentioned in G20 North American specifications. In EU market, this is a $250 option.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #55
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think dual pane glass (driver and co-driver) was never mentioned in G20 North American specifications. In EU market, this is a $250 option.
Makes sense. Probably why there's such a split of people in this topic that think it's quiet vs not.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:15 AM   #56
BlueM340i
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Update: I thought I was having wind noise until I heard it at a stop!! It's the vent system somehow whistling at my drivers window. Turn up the vent, wind noise gets louder, turn it off, goes away. Speed affects it a little I presume due to air flow into vent system.

Can anyone else replicate this?
I heard a whistling coming from my driver's side window too! I was thinking it may be the side mirror. I was going ~50-60mph when I heard this AND it was a little windy out. However, I am noticing wayyy too much wind and road noise in this car.

Albeit, I haven't been turning on music since I just got the car and am trying to appreciate the engine sounds.

Did yoi figure out a fix or take it to service?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #57
klokan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueM340i View Post
I heard a whistling coming from my driver's side window too! I was thinking it may be the side mirror. I was going ~50-60mph when I heard this AND it was a little windy out. However, I am noticing wayyy too much wind and road noise in this car.

Albeit, I haven't been turning on music since I just got the car and am trying to appreciate the engine sounds.

Look at my post here.

Can you try the same, so we can have a pattern? I would take it to my dealership then.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #58
pmanzonfotos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Mine is dead quiet, which kind of annoys me because I feel like that is why they had to introduce the artificial engine noise. Since the motor is already quiet and the insulation of the cabin is good. My F30, I hear everything, the wind, the tires, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #59
chamjin
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

hello All. I recently got my 330i like 3 weeks ago. still under 500miles, but had this whistle/wind noise or whatever it is which I never heard from any car before, since the first day. Then I found this thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1478202

and it fixed it. If it sounds similar to ur problem, check out the solution posted there (low tech version of hitting and pushing the seals w/ my fist). Hope it helps.

Last edited by chamjin; 01-02-2020 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: edit: to clarify the low tech solution that fixed mine
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #60
klokan
Private
Rep

I went to the dealership today, we got a little further about driver's door whistle.

They say it could be issue of cabin pressure equalization and they need to see if anyone else had the same problem and what is the solution. Whistle goes away when window is open even 1 mm, but what I didn't figure out until today is that any window can be opened for 1 mm and whistle in the driver's door will be gone. That relates to their cabin pressue theory. So, when I parked the car in my garage, with no wind, I turned on the vents and of course there was a whistle, and then I opened the boot door with my remote and whistle promptly dissapeared.

If anyone has more info, it would be appreciated. When I have more, I'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #61
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by klokan View Post
I went to the dealership today, we got a little further about driver's door whistle.

They say it could be issue of cabin pressure equalization and they need to see if anyone else had the same problem and what is the solution. Whistle goes away when window is open even 1 mm, but what I didn't figure out until today is that any window can be opened for 1 mm and whistle in the driver's door will be gone. That relates to their cabin pressue theory. So, when I parked the car in my garage, with no wind, I turned on the vents and of course there was a whistle, and then I opened the boot door with my remote and whistle promptly dissapeared.

If anyone has more info, it would be appreciated. When I have more, I'll let you know.
This sounds like the air outtake vents located in the boot are not working properly. In other words, they are not allowing the air to flow out of the car as it normally should. These vents are usually located on the left and right rear corner of the boot, down behind the carpets.

Last edited by Calamari; 01-13-2020 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 12:01 AM   #62
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueM340i View Post

My issue is 100% related to the vent system which is causing a whistling from the driver window. I'm assuming they must have air venting the window or something. If I turn off the HVAC the whistle goes away. If i have it on and turn it up it gets more intense and it is present while moving or at a stop but increases a small amount with speed. I'll be addressing this with service because it's quite annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #63
RLA1999
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknemesis View Post
Any M340 owners facing wind noise issues. I have started noticing it recently, with all windows rolled up I can hear wind noise when cruising at highway speed. Its getting really annoying now that I have started noticing it.
Hmm, I drive in the highway to work and I don't recall noticing wind noise. I will check on Monday morning with the radio turned off to see if I hear it and will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:32 AM   #64
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense. Probably why there's such a split of people in this topic that think it's quiet vs not.
It quite unbelievable actually. a 250$ option.. its nothing compared to the other useless crap they pile on the "packages".

BMW NA can eat it.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:14 AM   #65
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
It quite unbelievable actually. a 250$ option.. its nothing compared to the other useless crap they pile on the "packages".

BMW NA can eat it.
At least it's an option in the US. I spec'd my Canadian M340i with every option and package and it still only comes with single pane side windows (the only acoustic glass is the windshield).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:06 AM   #66
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
At least it's an option in the US. I spec'd my Canadian M340i with every option and package and it still only comes with single pane side windows (the only acoustic glass is the windshield).
It not an option in the US, Ive seen the US dealer ordering guide. No option for double glass
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0