Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Performance Modding New 330i

02-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #23
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryboz View Post
I didn't try online recoder because thought that was for fuel error warnings which I didnt have. I had them remote login to my pc and they basically reflashed. The alarm problem seemed to go away. I thought i lost the maps in the virtual dashboard cockpit but i turned that on/off and it came back. My wifi agent would still get errors (tried clearing multiple times) so i disconnected car battery to see if I could try that method. Nothing. Decided to just flash back to stock and lock DME again and alarm problem is back with a few error codes. The tune was working really well on my '18 M2 but right now this thing is a pain. I just want it back to stock.
Ah gotcha. Halim remote logged in into mine and cleared the parking brake error using esys which enabled me to start my car. I then used their diagnostics tool in BM3 to clear errors. All errors are gone now. I had locked my DME and flashed back to stock when it failed twice (even after they sent an updated map). We planned on trying to reflash my car but they didn’t show up at the day and time they chose which was when I decided to return it and buy a Jb+ instead since I didn’t have the guts to flash it a third time by myself and have my car disabled for a few more days.
I still have a check control message (the second pic in my previous post which says car cannot be idled in gear or something like that) popping up every time but since it doesn’t affect drivability or performance (and there are absolutely no more errors when I scanned using various OBD apps) in any way, I thought I’d wait till my first service to get it looked at.

Did you try using torque pro or some other app to see if you get any errors and try clearing it from there?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #24
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzag20 View Post
I know my car was produced in December 2018 but I have no idea when my ECU was updated. How would I check?
If you haven’t taken your car in for service since you bought it, you’ll probably have the old software and you should be fine.

If you have taken it for service, they’ll note it in your order sheet that they’ve updated the software. I don’t think they’ll update it without noting it down.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #25
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
I know my car was produced in December 2018 but I have no idea when my ECU was updated. How would I check?
If you haven’t taken your car in for service since you bought it, you’ll probably have the old software and you should be fine.

If you have taken it for service, they’ll note it in your order sheet that they’ve updated the software. I don’t think they’ll update it without noting it down.
Ya hopefully except my cars due for service in 300 miles so I have to tell them to not update the ECU and software.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #26
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Ya hopefully except my cars due for service in 300 miles so I have to tell them to not update the ECU and software.

This will sound dumb..when they update idrive do they update the ECU? Is that the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:28 PM   #27
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
This will sound dumb..when they update idrive do they update the ECU? Is that the same thing?
Idrive and ecu updates are different. I believe ecu updates are istep or something like that. Not sure though.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #28
Tryboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 330

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't try online recoder because thought that was for fuel error warnings which I didnt have. I had them remote login to my pc and they basically reflashed. The alarm problem seemed to go away. I thought i lost the maps in the virtual dashboard cockpit but i turned that on/off and it came back. My wifi agent would still get errors (tried clearing multiple times) so i disconnected car battery to see if I could try that method. Nothing. Decided to just flash back to stock and lock DME again and alarm problem is back with a few error codes. The tune was working really well on my '18 M2 but right now this thing is a pain. I just want it back to stock.
Ah gotcha. Halim remote logged in into mine and cleared the parking brake error using esys which enabled me to start my car. I then used their diagnostics tool in BM3 to clear errors. All errors are gone now. I had locked my DME and flashed back to stock when it failed twice (even after they sent an updated map). We planned on trying to reflash my car but they didn’t show up at the day and time they chose which was when I decided to return it and buy a Jb+ instead since I didn’t have the guts to flash it a third time by myself and have my car disabled for a few more days.
I still have a check control message (the second pic in my previous post which says car cannot be idled in gear or something like that) popping up every time but since it doesn’t affect drivability or performance (and there are absolutely no more errors when I scanned using various OBD apps) in any way, I thought I’d wait till my first service to get it looked at.

Did you try using torque pro or some other app to see if you get any errors and try clearing it from there?
Havent tried any other software. Figured I'd work thru them before opening up other variables. I told them i flashed back to stock and locked dme but alarm still goes off after locking the car. I was able to get most error messages to clear after a few attempts but still get 2 error engine codes, no description so not sure what they are. Their customer service has been pretty excellent but the last email tells me to take it to a mechanic to see about the alarm going off, whether directly related to flash or not, did not have this problem few months prior to flashing
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #29
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Havent tried any other software. Figured I'd work thru them before opening up other variables. I told them i flashed back to stock and locked dme but alarm still goes off after locking the car. I was able to get most error messages to clear after a few attempts but still get 2 error engine codes, no description so not sure what they are. Their customer service has been pretty excellent but the last email tells me to take it to a mechanic to see about the alarm going off, whether directly related to flash or not, did not have this problem few months prior to flashing
No harm in scanning with another software if you can. When my car was bricked, at first, they said it was not related to the flash and it was probably my car’s fault since their car worked perfectly with the map.
Mike helped me with them after that.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #30
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep
Drives: Man

Hmmm Ok.. bugger mine was manufactured 04/19 and has been in after that for some aircon work and a windscreen replacement.

Does that mean BM3 is out for me?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:33 PM   #31
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanknik View Post
Hmmm Ok.. bugger mine was manufactured 04/19 and has been in after that for some aircon work and a windscreen replacement.

Does that mean BM3 is out for me?
Not necessarily. You can try BM3. Worst comes to worst. You can get them to remote log into your car and fix it for you (if it’s like what happened to my car) and then return the tune if it doesn’t work for a full refund. That’s what I did.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #32
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep

Quote:
Not necessarily. You can try BM3. Worst comes to worst. You can get them to remote log into your car and fix it for you (if it’s like what happened to my car) and then return the tune if it doesn’t work for a full refund. That’s what I did.
Will that be as good as new, no traces and full warranty still in tact?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:56 PM   #33
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will that be as good as new, no traces and full warranty still in tact?
Well. You’ll have to unlock the DME to try and flash it. That probably voids warranty even though it’ll be locked and flashed back to stock in case it can’t be tuned. I’m sure the counter registers the attempt and hence, your warranty can technically be void even though you didn’t get to use the flash (probably what happened to me). My hope is that I won’t be needing any warranty work till my lease is up.

But yes. If you’re worried about warranty, then don’t tune it. Any ECU tune will result in your warranty being void if BMW digs deep enough. Apparently even with piggybacks that is a possibility but they’ll have to dig real deep for that. A piggy back is a safer option in my opinion compared to a remap when it comes to warranty but I could be wrong.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #34
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep

Hmm mines a lease too, wonder how many people on a lease actually mod their cars?

I have already had to get my aircon fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:49 PM   #35
claudioagmfilho
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: X3MC+320i M+ 330i M Sport

Are the downpipes between the 330i g20 and f30 328i interchangeable?

Want to use my downpipe from my old 328i f30 on my new 330i does anyone one know if they have the same fitting?
      02-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #36
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm mines a lease too, wonder how many people on a lease actually mod their cars?

I have already had to get my aircon fixed under warranty.
They can only void power train warranty at most. AC and stuff will be fine. Also, technically, they’ll have to prove the tune caused the fault but that can be a hassle.

And a lot of people mod their leased cars. I had an intake and piggy back and lowering springs and braces and mounts and stuff on my B9 A4. Took everything except lowering springs off when I turned it back in. Someone is driving around in it now and they’ve got a lowered car with quality springs (car looked like it was lifted when it had stock non-sport springs). My car was also ceramic coated and taken real good care of. When the inspector came to check my car out, she said my car looked better than a brand new car on the floor and that she would’ve bought it if she could afford it. So yes. Modding a leased car isn’t a bad idea as long as you take the mods off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudioagmfilho View Post
Want to use my downpipe from my old 328i f30 on my new 330i does anyone one know if they have the same fitting?
The N20 engine is different. I doubt if the downpipe from that will fit the B46/48 but I’m not sure.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #37
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudioagmfilho View Post
It’s the same if you have the B46D engine, if you’re in NA and it’s a newer F30 with B46D then the downpipe will work on G20.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #38
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

IMO stick with a piggy back tune like Racechip or similar , which you can remove prior to going in for any service and that will be your best bet warranty wise
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #39
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep

Is there a difference between BM3 and something like this? https://venturatuning.my/
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #40
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there a difference between BM3 and something like this? https://venturatuning.my/
BM3 is a flash tune whereas Ventura is a piggyback. In the BMW world, BMS (not to be confused with BM3) is well known for their piggybacks for BMWs. That does not mean the others are bad or don’t work.
Both flash tunes and piggybacks have their own pros and cons and it comes down to user preference. I have a JB+ piggyback and I bought a JB4 today that I should be getting in a few days. I did try BM3 but that didn’t go well for me unfortunately.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:47 PM   #41
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep

Curious as to why some say Venture report higher stats than BM3? What sort of gains did you get from the JB+ and why are you upgrading?

Have you done any other mods, you're running a 330i right?

On another note, what benefit would there be from say getting a billet inkate or MST vs the whole set in carbon fiber from say armaspeed or dinan?

Last edited by shanknik; 03-09-2020 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:02 PM   #42
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Curious as to why some say Venture report higher stats than BM3?

Have you done any other mods, you're running a 330i right?
Stats as in power? Tunes are usually smoother than piggybacks. Tunes make the driveability better. Piggybacks make power only after a certain RPM when the turbo spools up. Below that, it behaves exactly like stock. Because the turbo spools up harder, the car feels like it has more turbo lag. Tunes reduce the lag better by producing more power from a lower RPM.

And no other mods on my 330i. Just the piggyback for now.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #43
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep

Quote:
Stats as in power? Tunes are usually smoother than piggybacks. Tunes make the driveability better. Piggybacks make power only after a certain RPM when the turbo spools up. Below that, it behaves exactly like stock. Because the turbo spools up harder, the car feels like it has more turbo lag. Tunes reduce the lag better by producing more power from a lower RPM.

And no other mods on my 330i. Just the piggyback for now.
Thanks! The whole being able to unplug vs having to reflash stock for warranty purposes is still making me second guess!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #44
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! The whole being able to unplug vs having to reflash stock for warranty purposes is still making me second guess!
Flashes means guaranteed warranty loss. Even with piggybacks, BMW can find out if one was used if they dig deep enough. But yes. It’s easy to remove piggybacks which gives us peace of mind.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0