Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography My very first pics with a dslr

02-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #23
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
It might help if you: 1) posted up general metadata/EXIF for your pic or 2) didn't strip that info out when saving your pic to post.

Also, I think it part of what was previously meant was not flood a thread with a plethora of pix for critique. That's more suited for a photography forum but even they'll grow weary at some point. Put up a couple of pix and stay focused on those. Chances are the lessons you learn from those are applicable to anything else you might be shooting.

Oh, and take care when using flash. I assume you used it on the pic of the watch? Flash can either help your or hurt you.....and its more common, from what I've seen, for the latter. Especially for any close-up/macro shots. Just something else to practice with.

At least for myself, and I'm a rookie myself, I take a bunch of pix and only pick out the ones worthy of spending time post-processing (if needed) and posting. The rest are excess bits clogging up my HD....some of which are complete crap.

Keep trying and you'll get the hang of it. Perhaps take a bunch of pictures of that cactus, for example, but adjust aperature for x # of pix but keep shutter speed fixed. Then reverse (i.e. varied shutter speed, fixed aperature) and repeat. Maybe even then just go with different combos. make note of what order your settings were and see what affect each has.....what works/what doesn't.
haha I have a habit of stripping out that info for some reason. I guess I should start leaving it in there now that its useful. Thanks for the tips.

@one. Its a pic of legs or a pic of cleavage. Both are just parts of a lady. Your idea of whats nice or artistic or whatever might be different then somebody elses. I think my pics are fine. I never asked that my private pics of my girl be in a contest or critiqued, and I only put them in the random photo thread because they were requested. Cheers. Oh, and I finally got the f-stop stuff working as it should. No more blurriness!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
haha I have a habit of stripping out that info for some reason. I guess I should start leaving it in there now that its useful. Thanks for the tips.

@one. Its a pic of legs or a pic of cleavage. Both are just parts of a lady. Your idea of whats nice or artistic or whatever might be different then somebody elses. I think my pics are fine. I never asked that my private pics of my girl be in a contest or critiqued, and I only put them in the random photo thread because they were requested. Cheers. Oh, and I finally got the f-stop stuff working as it should. No more blurriness!
i only posted that to show that we were open to the female form. that's all. i don't want to debate with you about your girl again.

if you reduce the size of the aperture to the point where your depth of field includes the entire image, then yeah, you won't have any blurriness.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #25
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
i only posted that to show that we were open to the female form. that's all. i don't want to debate with you about your girl again.

if you reduce the size of the aperture to the point where your depth of field includes the entire image, then yeah, you won't have any blurriness.
I cannot seem to make an upclose pic with the background clear though. Its either everything zoomed out and clear, or just the center object clear with the background blurry.

And my nighttime pics of the snowstorm we have going on was a disaster, lol. Once I get a better understanding of how to focus my objects compared to the background then I will move onto the iso or shutter speed or whatever made my nighttime pics yellow and blurry.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I cannot seem to make an upclose pic with the background clear though. Its either everything zoomed out and clear, or just the center object clear with the background blurry.

And my nighttime pics of the snowstorm we have going on was a disaster, lol. Once I get a better understanding of how to focus my objects compared to the background then I will move onto the iso or shutter speed or whatever made my nighttime pics yellow and blurry.
this is where reading comes in handy. even though you say you understood all the things i said earlier, you're not quite there. a good picture involves a combination of all the control factors, not just one at a time. you need to read and understand them. i'll say it again. the sticky at the top of the page is absurdly helpful for beginners.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #27
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
this is where reading comes in handy. even though you say you understood all the things i said earlier, you're not quite there. a good picture involves a combination of all the control factors, not just one at a time. you need to read and understand them. i'll say it again. the sticky at the top of the page is absurdly helpful for beginners.
I read the sticky and I have a basic understanding of what everything does, but not well enough to quickly adjust it in a pouring wet snow storm. Im pretty sure I just had the iso wrong because I forgot to change it, and since I had a slow shutter speed it got blurry when I moved my hand. I tried to capture a falling snowflake which is above my current skill level.
Appreciate 0