Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography My very first pics with a dslr

02-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
My very first pics with a dslr

Just got my d3000. Here are my first pictures using the auto settings. Now I got to read the manual and charge the battery. The detail on the cactus leaf is pretty cool and im very satisfied with how cheap I got the d3000 for.

My cat looking pissed as always when I bother her.

Cactus

Upclose cactus leaf

Starburst wrappers

A cheese doodle!!

Last edited by deletedelete; 02-05-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

That's a hairy cheese doodle!
      02-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
That's a hairy cheese doodle!
Yeah it dropped on the floor before I took the pic, lol. Whats cool is that you cannot see the hair with your eye.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The light on the built in flash seems to be off center when looking through the view finder. And the pics are darker then I would like.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I do not find your comment helpful, constructive or amusing.
i'm happy for you about that. really, I am. please. the best thing you can do for yourself is read (especially the stickies at the top of the forum), and shoot shoot shoot. don't create threads for your random pictures when there's a random picture thread and PLEASE, for the love of god...no more boobs. they aren't artsy.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
i'm happy for you about that. really, I am. please. the best thing you can do for yourself is read (especially the stickies at the top of the forum), and shoot shoot shoot. don't create threads for your random pictures when there's a random picture thread and PLEASE, for the love of god...no more boobs. they aren't artsy.
Why do you keep talking about boobs in this thread? Are you seeing something that i am not? And this isnt a random picture thread this is my thread. Where im going to post my pictures over the next few days showing how im learning the camera.

Your not a moderator and if you have a problem with my threads please take it up with them, otherwise please refrain from posting in my threads. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why do you keep talking about boobs in this thread? Are you seeing something that i am not? And this isnt a random picture thread this is my thread. Where im going to post my pictures over the next few days showing how im learning the camera.

Your not a moderator and if you have a problem with my threads please take it up with them, otherwise please refrain from posting in my threads. Thanks.

Right. Take some advice and shoot shoot shoot, then delete them all. But if you don't want to take any advice because you're absurdly knowledgeable, feel free.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Right. Take some advice and shoot shoot shoot, then delete them all. But if you don't want to take any advice because you're absurdly knowledgeable, feel free.
I created this thread specifically to get advice and have joked quite a bit about my lack of knowledge in photography. Not sure where your getting this "absurdly knowledgeable" stuff at but please show me a quote, I dare you. Or why after I asked you to stop posting in my thread, you continue to do so.

You advised that I take lots of pics, so thanks. If you dont have any other helpful words of advice, then ill say again, to please refrain from posting in my threads. Your cluttering my thread with junk and useless comments.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
SPEZNAS92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Damn can we stop passing the haterade around!!
E92 BMW 335i
E82 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I created this thread specifically to get advice and have joked quite a bit about my lack of knowledge in photography. Not sure where your getting this "absurdly knowledgeable" stuff at but please show me a quote, I dare you. Or why after I asked you to stop posting in my thread, you continue to do so.

You advised that I take lots of pics, so thanks. If you dont have any other helpful words of advice, then ill say again, to please refrain from posting in my threads. Your cluttering my thread with junk and useless comments.
I continue to do so because this is an open forum. Nobody can give you advice about these pictures, dude. Really. You're just not listening. You need to be familiar with your camera before you even think about sharing your pictures anywhere and getting advice on them. Can you adjust aperture yet? Shutter speed? ISO? White Balance? Until you can do so, any advice anybody gives you is useless. You have to be able to manually control and understand every aspect of what you're doing in order for advice to make sense. I can tell you that the depth of field in the second picture needs to be wider, but do you understand what that means? In the last picture, the flash washed out the details of the cheese puff, but can you turn down the shutter speed to avoid that?
Are you starting to understand what i'm saying at all? I don't mean to be insulting, as everyone has been there and done that beginner thing at some point...

but you need to get a bearing for what you're doing before anyone can give you useful advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Best thing I learned it to just mess around with the settings and just try to see what makes each picture different.

Such as, take a tripod or rest the camera so it doesn't move around, and take a pic of the same thing over and over, just change up the settings.That's a good way to see what the settings do.

GL and have fun!
      02-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I continue to do so because this is an open forum. Nobody can give you advice about these pictures, dude. Really. You're just not listening. You need to be familiar with your camera before you even think about sharing your pictures anywhere and getting advice on them. Can you adjust aperture yet? Shutter speed? ISO? White Balance? Until you can do so, any advice anybody gives you is useless. You have to be able to manually control and understand every aspect of what you're doing in order for advice to make sense. I can tell you that the depth of field in the second picture needs to be wider, but do you understand what that means? In the last picture, the flash washed out the details of the cheese puff, but can you turn down the shutter speed to avoid that?
Are you starting to understand what i'm saying at all? I don't mean to be insulting, as everyone has been there and done that beginner thing at some point...

but you need to get a bearing for what you're doing before anyone can give you useful advice.
Yes I understood everything you just said. From the online nikon videos, to the ken rockwell tutorials, I have a basic understanding of all that you said. The first comment you gave was not advice or helpful at all. You came into this thread as a troll and I have no idea why.

And im not sure what im not listening about!?! I specifically said that I need to read the manual and learn. You seem to have a holier than thou attitude and dont seem to be very encouraging to beginners who are just now experiencing the joy of photography. I posted a perfectly acceptable thread according to the forum rules of this "open forum" as you call it, yet you come into the thread having a problem. I dont know you, or why you have a problem with me, but cheers.

@amir. Thats almost exactly what I have been doing, thanks. First I take the pic in auto mode, then take it in almost every other setting to see specifically what it does.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I understood everything you just said. From the online nikon videos, to the ken rockwell tutorials, I have a basic understanding of all that you said. The first comment you gave was not advice or helpful at all. You came into this thread as a troll and I have no idea why.

And im not sure what im not listening about!?! I specifically said that I need to read the manual and learn. You seem to have a holier than thou attitude and dont seem to be very encouraging to beginners who are just now experiencing the joy of photography. I posted a perfectly acceptable thread according to the forum rules of this "open forum" as you call it, yet you come into the thread having a problem. I dont know you, or why you have a problem with me, but cheers.
you're right. my first post was useless and trollish. let's move past that. i'll delete it. i don't intend to be holier-than-thou. i wouldn't still be here if I thought new photographers were useless human beings. i'm nowhere near expert. i'll just call this to a close since it isn't getting anywhere and it doesn't matter anyway.

in conclusion:
shoot, shoot, shoot.
don't share but the best 3-5 pictures out of any shooting you do.
don't pay any attention to kenrockwell.
join a dedicated photography forum and read anything you can there.
buy a book like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog...5431445&sr=8-1
he is simple, straightforward, and immensely more helpful than kenny boy.

buy one of these when you get the funds:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nik...5431489&sr=8-1
and shoot exclusively with it for a while. it will improve your eye for shots and creativity, especially in manual focus mode.

and shoot in manual. all the time. no exceptions. you'll use everything else much more effectively when you've mastered the art of doing it yourself. you'll understand once your camera has become an extension of your arm.

hope that was helpful. that's all ive got.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
you're right. my first post was useless and trollish. let's move past that. i'll delete it. i don't intend to be holier-than-thou. i wouldn't still be here if I thought new photographers were useless human beings. i'm nowhere near expert. i'll just call this to a close since it isn't getting anywhere and it doesn't matter anyway.

in conclusion:
shoot, shoot, shoot.
don't share but the best 3-5 pictures out of any shooting you do.
don't pay any attention to kenrockwell.
join a dedicated photography forum and read anything you can there.
buy a book like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog...5431445&sr=8-1
he is simple, straightforward, and immensely more helpful than kenny boy.

buy one of these when you get the funds:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nik...5431489&sr=8-1
and shoot exclusively with it for a while. it will improve your eye for shots and creativity, especially in manual focus mode.

and shoot in manual. all the time. no exceptions. you'll use everything else much more effectively when you've mastered the art of doing it yourself. you'll understand once your camera has become an extension of your arm.

hope that was helpful. that's all ive got.
Thanks. You said that in the second pic of the cactus I need to adjust the dof since obviously some of the cactus is blurry. As an example of how badly I suck, I cannot get a clear picture of the catcus upclose like that without at least some part of it being blurry. Thats my current project, to get an uplose of the cactus but with all of it in focus.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Two problems im having as seen in these pics. Half of the object is always blurry and the other half clear. I cant figure out how to make the entire object clear and Id like to know how to make it half blurry on purpose.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #16
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

adjust your aperture. i'd assume your camera came with an 18-55 f/3.5-f/5.6 lens, correct? Or is it the 18-200?

if you want more of something in focus, enlarge your depth of field. to do that, reduce your aperture. keep in mind, things are backward. the larger numbers (f/5.6) are smaller apertures, and the smaller ones (f/3.5) are larger apertures. The higher your aperture (lower the number), the more light the camera lets in. However, the depth of field (area of the image in immediate focus) becomes smaller as the aperture becomes larger.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #17
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The lens is 18-55mm 3.5-5.6. Ill trying reducing the aperture thanks.

edit. changing the aperture settings did put the objects in focus, but now the background is blurry. hmmmm, I guess I have lots of homework to do this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #18
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
We need more boobs!!!
      02-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #19
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
We need more boobs!!!
lol, this side of the pond is less open to the female form for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 05:12 AM   #20
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

It might help if you: 1) posted up general metadata/EXIF for your pic or 2) didn't strip that info out when saving your pic to post.

Also, I think it part of what was previously meant was not flood a thread with a plethora of pix for critique. That's more suited for a photography forum but even they'll grow weary at some point. Put up a couple of pix and stay focused on those. Chances are the lessons you learn from those are applicable to anything else you might be shooting.

Oh, and take care when using flash. I assume you used it on the pic of the watch? Flash can either help your or hurt you.....and its more common, from what I've seen, for the latter. Especially for any close-up/macro shots. Just something else to practice with.

At least for myself, and I'm a rookie myself, I take a bunch of pix and only pick out the ones worthy of spending time post-processing (if needed) and posting. The rest are excess bits clogging up my HD....some of which are complete crap.

Keep trying and you'll get the hang of it. Perhaps take a bunch of pictures of that cactus, for example, but adjust aperature for x # of pix but keep shutter speed fixed. Then reverse (i.e. varied shutter speed, fixed aperature) and repeat. Maybe even then just go with different combos. make note of what order your settings were and see what affect each has.....what works/what doesn't.
      02-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #22
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
It might help if you: 1) posted up general metadata/EXIF for your pic or 2) didn't strip that info out when saving your pic to post.

Also, I think it part of what was previously meant was not flood a thread with a plethora of pix for critique. That's more suited for a photography forum but even they'll grow weary at some point. Put up a couple of pix and stay focused on those. Chances are the lessons you learn from those are applicable to anything else you might be shooting.

Oh, and take care when using flash. I assume you used it on the pic of the watch? Flash can either help your or hurt you.....and its more common, from what I've seen, for the latter. Especially for any close-up/macro shots. Just something else to practice with.

At least for myself, and I'm a rookie myself, I take a bunch of pix and only pick out the ones worthy of spending time post-processing (if needed) and posting. The rest are excess bits clogging up my HD....some of which are complete crap.

Keep trying and you'll get the hang of it. Perhaps take a bunch of pictures of that cactus, for example, but adjust aperature for x # of pix but keep shutter speed fixed. Then reverse (i.e. varied shutter speed, fixed aperature) and repeat. Maybe even then just go with different combos. make note of what order your settings were and see what affect each has.....what works/what doesn't.
+1.

Quote:
lol, this side of the pond is less open to the female form for some reason.
there's a tremendous difference between the two photos. one was submitted by rodi for a contest here, and the other one was taken by you. they both involve the female form.

Last edited by oneintheory; 02-06-2010 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0