Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions ZF8 transmission in 330i -- Does yours “thump” after each shift?

07-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
ZF8 transmission in 330i -- Does yours “thump” after each shift?

I've only had my 330i for about 1500 miles/a little over a month, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed after every gear shifted, it will feel like a thump? (For lack of a better way to describe it.)

It is more pronounced in Sport mode as well. I was testing it this evening with one half and 3/4th throttle. Each shift of the gear will bring on another small thump right after the gear switch.

I had a F30 335 back in the day, which also had a ZF8 -- and it didn't behave like this.

I've not seen anyone post about this, and I was curious if this was just me. I'm half tempted to go test drive another 3 this weekend and see if it behaves similarly.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #2
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Just curious do you feel it under the driver's set?

I can't speak to the g20 because i haven't picked mine up yet. But occasionally in dynamic mode I get a weird thud under my seat with a gear shit in my Alfa Romeo Giulia which has the same 8 ZF tranny that BMW (and most everyone else) uses. It only ever happens from 1st-2nd though.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
In sport mode you should hear and feel a pretty hard shift. In comfort mode in normal transmission mode, you shouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:06 AM   #4
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
I'm feeling it actually after a gear shift.. It will shift and then will thump after it (not like a hard shift.) It just doesn't feel normal. I think I'm going to make a service appointment and see if it is abnormal.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 01:15 AM   #5
shadowg20
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330

Did anything happen after the service appointment any update with the thump? Mine thumps on hard acceleration if it downshifts or upshifts with throttle 3/4 pressed to WOT. Mine has bootmod3 and a CAI
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 06:33 AM   #6
rajg126
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i Sportline

In my 330i Sportline, it 'thumps' in Sport Plus mode only. I love that 'shift shock' effect.

Are you getting it in Comfort too? That would be worrying.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 11:38 AM   #7
shadowg20
Rep

Yea it does during hard acceleration, I have 43k miles and I think it’s time from transmission oil change according to ZF it should happen at 50k
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
JimmyCas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

In my case (G20 2019) I feel a small over acceleration when gear shifts from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. I took the car to dealer and they say it's normal...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowg20 View Post
Yea it does during hard acceleration, I have 43k miles and I think it’s time from transmission oil change according to ZF it should happen at 50k
How much does this service cost for the ZF oil change?
      09-10-2022, 03:16 PM   #10
whynotme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 xDrive 40i

Nope, mine feels pretty smooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:27 AM   #11
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Nope, this car shifts smooth like butter.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #12
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hmmm, it might have something to do with the car learning your driving habits I think especially during break-in? I wonder if resetting the adaptation/learning will change things or depending if you used to driving calmly during break-in and now drive more aggressively or vice versa which "confuses" the transmission? Does it happen when the transmission is cold or warm? As for how to find the transmission temperature, I couldn't find it either so does anyone know where you can find the transmission fluid temperature in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 02:00 AM   #13
shadowg20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTriesG20 View Post
Hmmm, it might have something to do with the car learning your driving habits I think especially during break-in? I wonder if resetting the adaptation/learning will change things or depending if you used to driving calmly during break-in and now drive more aggressively or vice versa which "confuses" the transmission? Does it happen when the transmission is cold or warm? As for how to find the transmission temperature, I couldn't find it either so does anyone know where you can find the transmission fluid temperature in iDrive?
I just got my mounts changed via warranty and dealer honored it I just put tape over my OBD port saying “DO NOT FLASH” and I didn’t let them know about any mods. The car was experiencing very rough take off and shifting through gears. After mounts being changed was night and day difference smooth like butter even through hard acceleration in sport plus. My car has bootmod3 and CAI.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 02:02 AM   #14
shadowg20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajg126 View Post
In my 330i Sportline, it 'thumps' in Sport Plus mode only. I love that 'shift shock' effect.

Are you getting it in Comfort too? That would be worrying.
Honestly after the mounts being changed it is very smooth even in sport plus, so keep an eye on it if you experience rough shifting through gears it can start going bad especially on a hard takeoff, best way to check is have someone step on brake and gas at the same time with the car in D with the hood open and see if the engine experiences excessive movement then your mounts are going bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 09:23 AM   #15
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I just got my mounts changed via warranty and dealer honored it I just put tape over my OBD port saying “DO NOT FLASH” and I didn’t let them know about any mods. The car was experiencing very rough take off and shifting through gears. After mounts being changed was night and day difference smooth like butter even through hard acceleration in sport plus. My car has bootmod3 and CAI.
Thanks for your comment, glad it is resolved for you. Did you figure out where to find the transmission temperature in iDrive 7.0 though?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 05:46 PM   #16
g20rafo
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Quote:
This thump happens when i’m going from reverse to drive and then when i start accelerating a little or same thing from park to drive sometimes not all the time, Also when i leave the auto start stop feature on on accident and drive it happens sometimes as well, I did the thing with the break and my engine did move a lot does it mean it’s my engine and transmission mounts or just my engine mounts ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 06:39 PM   #17
b33m0r
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzdial View Post
I've only had my 330i for about 1500 miles/a little over a month, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed after every gear shifted, it will feel like a thump? (For lack of a better way to describe it.)

It is more pronounced in Sport mode as well. I was testing it this evening with one half and 3/4th throttle. Each shift of the gear will bring on another small thump right after the gear switch.

I had a F30 335 back in the day, which also had a ZF8 -- and it didn't behave like this.

I've not seen anyone post about this, and I was curious if this was just me. I'm half tempted to go test drive another 3 this weekend and see if it behaves similarly.

Thanks!

I'm posting this to hopefully help others experiencing this exact same issue I have had with my g20 330xi, which is now remedied. I found someone showing the TSB relating to the transfer case, and googled the TSB for the g20 transfer case and attempted to have my dealer perform the TSB. They refused and told me on several attempts that they "cannot replicate the issue", even though the foreman rode with me initially and advised that there was a delay in shifting and that a full reset was needed.

The reset did nothing, so I took it to another dealer who also said they find the shifts to be delayed and they performed another reset and said it fixed it. It didn't. After 6 months of driving the vehicle with thumping downshifts and random jerks when shifting gears, I was ready to pay out of pocket to have the transfer case oil replaced... The dealer told me they don't know how to do this and they've never replaced transfer case oil...

Time for an independent shop. I had the transfer case oil replaced, along with the transfer case reset done per the TSB, and 90% of the thumping feeling in the low gears are gone. I also hadn't realized how bad the car was bucking when the auto start/stop enabled, as on my drive home after having the transfer case completed I didn't even notice the car shutting off/turning back on at stop lights.

Symptoms: Rough downshift to 3rd, especially 2nd when coming to a moderate stop (Like lightly being rear ended). Rough shifting from 1st to 2nd, and random gears were rough shifting there on up, but not overly consistent like the 1-2-3 shifts. I didn't have any bumping, thumping, or noises when tight turning in a parking lot, so I was initially skeptical that the transfer case oil was the issue.

The issue was most pronounced in comfort mode, so I would leave it in eco, as for some reason it reduced the rough shifts (although still present prior to the transfer oil service). Now in comfort mode the car shifts about as well as it should in comparison to the other 330i loaners I drove while the inept dealerships tried to diagnose and fix the issue.

Vehicle notes:
2022 BMW 330XI
17k miles

Side note: The indy shop said the transfer case oil was BLACK for only having 17k miles on it (Fortunately, no metal shavings or signs of damage to the transfer case). I highly recommend anyone having this common shifting issue to look into having this done, and hopefully you have a good dealer where they can have it covered under warranty. The service was $275, which included the transfer case reset (VTG RESET). Yes I know this is a little high, but I wanted to use a reputable shop, and the money was well spent with the car now being enjoyable to drive in stop and go traffic.

Paddle shifting also presents smooth shifting now, instead of thumps after engaging a new gear.

Hopefully this helps someone else!
Appreciate 0