Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Taking my M340i to the track - Questions and concerns

07-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Taking my M340i to the track - Questions and concerns

Hey everybody, just wanted to get some opinions.

I'm planning on taking my M340i for a weekend down to a local racetrack. I know the vehicle has been reviewed many times on the track, but my question is, what precautions should I take? Will the engine be okay being pushed for a day of tracking?

What about the stock brakes and brake fluid? Can they handle the heat? Last thing I want to do is lose braking on the track.

Feedback would be appreciated. I'm not planning on tracking it often, but I just want to experience the car on the track at least once.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

Check your tire pressure before, warm them up before pushing the car. Indeed, the brake fluid can be your weakest link in the whole setup. When your pedal starts to feel soggy, time for a break.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Brake pads and brake fluid is a must if you are going to track it.

If you are just trying it in a beginner group for the first time - you miht get away with stock pads. But i would still watch it and come in as soon as you feel fading.

M340 is heavy so i would look for Hawk dct 70 track pad front and rear. And motul 600 brake fluid.
Ask delaer to replace it since it is tricky to replace rear pads with parking brake ( need to follow procedure to retrackt pistons)
When changing brake fluid they need to cycle some abs valves to make sure they bleed it properly.
I assume you have non run flat tires on car like michelin ps 4s. They will survive couple of track days but eventually you would need track tires.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
If it was me, I would do an oil change to get the starter oil out.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Brake pads and brake fluid is a must if you are going to track it.

If you are just trying it in a beginner group for the first time - you miht get away with stock pads. But i would still watch it and come in as soon as you feel fading.

M340 is heavy so i would look for Hawk dct 70 track pad front and rear. And motul 600 brake fluid.
Ask delaer to replace it since it is tricky to replace rear pads with parking brake ( need to follow procedure to retrackt pistons)
When changing brake fluid they need to cycle some abs valves to make sure they bleed it properly.
I assume you have non run flat tires on car like michelin ps 4s. They will survive couple of track days but eventually you would need track tires.
Yeah see and that was my main concern is the brake pads... like I don't know how good quality the stock ones are, watching the video of it on the portiamo track they were ripping it for a good amount in that track, but who knows if bmw replaced the pads on there prototypes or not for track use.. I'm definitely going to look into it, and the problem is I read in the owners manual that tracking the car can make you ineligible for some warranty repairs. I would rather the dealer not know I was tracking it.. again it's not something I'm gonna do every week, once in a blue moon,
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
If it was me, I would do an oil change to get the starter oil out.
Yup good point!! I was planning on doing it very soon anyways!! Might even be on the safe side and do one after the track day to, considering how the engine would have a heavy load on it for a good amount of time..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Make sure you have insurance that covers you on the track. Many, if not most, specifically exclude damage incurred while on a track.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

07-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
eddymerckx3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive sport line

Also...find out what items are checked at inspection at ur local track e.g. most tracks will test ur brake fluid to make sure it is fresh.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

I have the impression you're planning to have fun for a few hours of hard driving spread over a track day, resulting in a couple of dozen hot laps. When this is the case, of course the car and its components are up to it! No worries at all! The fade on the brakes is progressive with rising temperature. Everything will restore to normal behaviour after cool down.

When guarantee is void because of track use, don't accept. Are they actually saying that an M performance vehicle is not allowed to come on a track! A BMW representative trying to intimidate me with such a BS argument is in for a sucker punch.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #10
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I have the impression you're planning to have fun for a few hours of hard driving spread over a track day, resulting in a couple of dozen hot laps. When this is the case, of course the car and its components are up to it! No worries at all! The fade on the brakes is progressive with rising temperature. Everything will restore to normal behaviour after cool down.

When guarantee is void because of track use, don't accept. Are they actually saying that an M performance vehicle is not allowed to come on a track! A BMW representative trying to intimidate me with such a BS argument is in for a sucker punch.
Thanks man that message makes me rest a bit... everything you said was 100% true and yup that's exactly what I'm gonna do, I'm still a beginner so I won't be going really he's but deffs wanna try.... like there's a section in the owners manual for tracking it...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
You absolutely can bring your completely stock M340 on track without issue. Just keep your braking points generous so you don't overheat your brakes. Like someone else mentioned, brake fade is progressive, so you'll get ample warning when you're reaching the limits.

If you're going to get ambitious I would at least swap the brake fluid for something track worthy. You can do this yourself. I find ZERO benefit from the dealer opening the solenoids in the ABS/TCS system. I achieve a much firmer pedal than the dealer by doing the following: Flush and bleed all four corners; then go for a short ride and trigger traction control (and Active Cruise Control braking if you have ACC); then bleed (only, flush not required) again one more time. Also- My dealer told me they won't do a brake fluid swap with anything but oem fluid.

Upgrading pads is a further step. This can get pricey, but often the side benefit is less brake dust than BMW's pads.
      07-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Thanks man that message makes me rest a bit... everything you said was 100% true and yup that's exactly what I'm gonna do, I'm still a beginner so I won't be going really he's but deffs wanna try.... like there's a section in the owners manual for tracking it...
Yes, the manual refers to competition usage... like in a real race. Than I can agree that the warranty is void. In races, you push the car (over) his limit for hours and hours to win a spot.

When you track it to learn to read the vehicle dynamics in over and understeer during mass transfers between front and rear axles, that's perfect normal usage for such a vehicle. It's made for... and some!

The first press drives where on Partimao circuit. Look at the youtube clips, that are perfect acceptable conditions.

You can have a whole day long fun like this without having to worry.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #13
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I wouldn't do it. If you're really driving at speed and in a run group that is moving, you'll beat the sh!t out of your car. I used to track but decided it's just too hard on my DD.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #14
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I wouldn't do it. If you're really driving at speed and in a run group that is moving, you'll beat the sh!t out of your car. I used to track but decided it's just too hard on my DD.
Your M3?

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #15
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Your M3?
Yes. Even an M car isn't really ready for track duty without a number of mods although the newer gen is better than the older gens in that regard.
Appreciate 0