BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

03-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #111
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

EVs are perfect commute cars for most people, and most people buy cars as commuters.

If you track your car regularly, sure you stick with a M2 it might be the last great BMW. Fact is no one can fullfill any of that for you with EV, not even BMW. However, many of us are interested in a Tesla as a safe commuter car that is also fun.

Also, I doubt you would rather look at a Corolla, cause you obviously looked at the Model X crashed 5 times. At least Tesla provided you Joy and laughter right? Tesla is not so bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #112
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

As I was wringing out my E92 M3 today, keeping revs consistently >4k, and hearing the wailing scream rise to 8000+ rpms after letting the rear hang out, I thought about Tesla. I thought about how there is no way in hell I could enjoy a Tesla as much as this, regardless of it being the faster car.

I'll take the turbo 6 for my next car. I need the sound and feel to enjoy my car. Speed only matters to a point for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #113
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I have no problem with electric vehicles. In fact, I think they are the future. However, if everything was about straight line speed and acceleration, then we would all be driving Hellcats and not M3's.

So while EV's have their place, I personally don't like Tesla for two reasons:

1. The build quality is lacking. And that can mean many things for different people. If you're coming from a Mustang, this is probably something you wouldn't notice. And yes, I'm generalizing. But if you have a trained eye for this sort of thing, then you understand what I'm talking about. Panel gaps, bad paint jobs, cheap plasticky feel inside, atrocious "leather", etc. you can tell it was designed and manufactured by someone with Ford mentality.

2. It doesn't look good. I understand this is highly subjective, but just because it's an electric vehicle doesn't mean that it can't look as good or better than an M3, RS4, or CTS-V. To me, Teslas look cartoonish, especially the Model 3. I can't imagine going on a date and pulling up in a Model 3. Yuck. Every time I see the Model 3, I think of:

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #114
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

I've owned my Tesla Model 3 Performance since the end of 2018 (yay tax credit!) and would be happy to answer anyone's questions about the car or the ownership experience.

Before the Tesla, I owned a series of Audis, most recently a tuned '13 S6 and a lowered/tuned '11 S4. I've also run most of my cars at HPDEs, and will be doing so with the Tesla at the end of April.

TL;DR - it's the best, most fun-to-drive car I've ever owned.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      03-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #115
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
What's the ride quality like and how does it compare to the ride quality of the standard suspension
The ride quality of the Performance version is sporty/firm. It's similar to an MSport BMW 3 series or Audi S - not as firm as an M3 or C43/63.

I actually never drove any of the lesser Model 3s.

A prerequisite for any new car for me is that it be faster than what I was driving before, and only the Performance version met that standard!

As fast as my tuned S6 was, the Tesla would leave it for dead up to about 120 mph. :-)
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      03-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #116
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

I drove a Model S 100D, and to be honest, it was fast but I couldn't take it being so quiet. Every M car I’ve owned has had aftermarket exhaust, mid pipes, and intake, and all of them were MT besides the F90 M5.

Now, I am waiting for a G80 MT. . More engaging to drive. I wouldn't mind drive the S for cruising around and shopping but that's about it.
M 4EVER191.00
      03-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #117
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
I drove a Model S 100D, and to be honest, it was fast but I couldn't take it being so quiet. Every M car I’ve owned has had aftermarket exhaust, mid pipes, and intake, and all of them were MT besides the F90 M5.

Now, I am waiting for a G80 MT. . More engaging to drive. I wouldn't mind drive the S for cruising around and shopping but that's about it.
The Model S drives nothing like the Model 3.

That would be like saying you drove a 7 series and therefore aren’t interested in a 3 series because the 7 is too calm.

It’s true, though that if engine sounds are super important to you, then you wouldn’t be happy in a Tesla.

Wait - my car can make fart sounds on demand - would that work as a substitute??

Last edited by ZCD1; 03-21-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
Junni88.00
      03-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #118
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
The Model S drives nothing like the Model 3.

That would be like saying you drove a 7 series and therefore aren’t interested in a 3 series because the 7 is too calm.

It’s true, though that if engine sounds are super important to you, then you wouldn’t be happy in a Tesla.

Wait - my car can make fart sounds on demand - would that work as a substitute??
Lol
I know the S is different game. I was just referring to the noise. My M5 is brutally loud and I love it.
M 4EVER191.00
      08-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #119
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I think the whole rhetoric against Tesla by saying they need a car that can go on a road trip is stupid. Most people drive their cars 30 miles a day and rarely drive more than 100 miles between parking in their garage.

However, going on a road trip in a Tesla severely limits your options. The charge time is long, you have to find a place to plug in once you get where you're going, the supercharging network is hardly ubiquitous enough to go anywhere, and you definitely cannot be taking the most optimal routes or stopping anywhere you want. You have to stop where the supercharger are which wastes even more time than stopping where you want to stop and filling up at the gas station that is inevitably at pretty much every rest stop and tourist attraction you'll go to.
Yep, long road trips are a pain. I have to stop every 150-200 miles at a supercharger for about 45 minutes. It's not that big of a deal if I'm by myself. But I'm usually not by myself and the family has gotten over the novelty of the supercharger. Now the Model S stays home and we take my wife's X5 on road trips.

The worst idea, as I learned, is to go on a trip and stay overnight at a place that does not offer charging. The supercharger was "only" 25 miles away. But if you do any driving around, you have to drive 50 miles round trip to charge. Not doing that again.

Having said that, an EV for day-to-day commuting is better than ICE. I plug in every night and don't even think about range.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #120
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Yep, long road trips are a pain. I have to stop every 150-200 miles at a supercharger for about 45 minutes. It's not that big of a deal if I'm by myself. But I'm usually not by myself and the family has gotten over the novelty of the supercharger. Now the Model S stays home and we take my wife's X5 on road trips.

The worst idea, as I learned, is to go on a trip and stay overnight at a place that does not offer charging. The supercharger was "only" 25 miles away. But if you do any driving around, you have to drive 50 miles round trip to charge. Not doing that again.

Having said that, an EV for day-to-day commuting is better than ICE. I plug in every night and don't even think about range.
I just finished my longest road trip: ~4k miles on my 3P with my family. I found the breaks restful, and too often the car had finished charging (15-25 minutes most of the time) but we weren't done with our lunch/coffee etc. Perhaps it's because the 3 supports higher fast charging speeds than the S (and not to mention 310 miles of range on the 3P vs 259 on the S75)?

Plus my kid enjoys playing beach buggy on the big screen a lot better than anything on his Switch's tiny screen.

My previous longest road trip was ~5 years ago in my 335xi: ~3.5k miles miles. Also great trip, just the recent one with the 3 was more fun, more restful and overall more enjoyable for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #121
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedreamer View Post
What do you think? Elon is aiming at the M3 with the P Model 3.

Intriguing or not? That electric torque is hard to beat.

I for one prefer the steering feedback and linear throttle of the old NA cars but you can’t even get that in a BMW these days. So I guess electric is the future.
It's more than that though. It's the overall package. I hate the instrumentation in the Tesla Model 3. One big iPad in the middle is not for...
      09-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #122
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
It's more than that though. It's the overall package. I hate the instrumentation in the Tesla Model 3. One big iPad in the middle is not for...
The big touch screen might be off-putting at first, but after living with it for a while I've found that having everything in one place is both more convenient and less distracting than having controls scattered about the dash and console...
Appreciate 1
Junni88.00
      10-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #123
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I wonder how many BMW M drivers would look at a Tesla Model 3 if it didn't have the instant acceleration. The instant acceleration is a big deal, but how much of the rest of the car is it masking? I've driven the M3P and there is no way I can put it in the same league as an M4 for driving dynamics.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #124
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Motor Trend just did a very quick review on the new Tesla Model 3 Performance:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...rmance-review/

Starts at $64,000 USD, but it does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Comes with 450hp and 471tq. Not too shabby!

tesla schmesla
i wont buy a car i cant take on a road trip
0-60 is great but what about 0-500 miles?

i have only ever seen 1 tesla owner drive like he stole it. but i see that kind of driving far more from real sports cars.
Most of those are not the performance so 0-60 in the mid 5s is 330i territory.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #125
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
The big touch screen might be off-putting at first, but after living with it for a while I've found that having everything in one place is both more convenient and less distracting than having controls scattered about the dash and console...
Would like to have a heads up display though especially with the Speedo off to the side.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #126
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
I wonder how many BMW M drivers would look at a Tesla Model 3 if it didn't have the instant acceleration. The instant acceleration is a big deal, but how much of the rest of the car is it masking? I've driven the M3P and there is no way I can put it in the same league as an M4 for driving dynamics.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=724
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #127
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

There is really one thing that makes Teslas not even an option for me...

Range...

For daily driving maybe fine but for longer voyages (400km upwards)... no thanks...

When Technology comes to a point where it is as simple as filling up... maybe by changeable batteries at power stations???
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #128
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
There is really one thing that makes Teslas not even an option for me...

Range...

For daily driving maybe fine but for longer voyages (400km upwards)... no thanks...

When Technology comes to a point where it is as simple as filling up... maybe by changeable batteries at power stations???
Yep! For me it's range, styling and to a lesser degree, lack of a manual.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #129
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
...For daily driving maybe fine but for longer voyages (400km upwards)... no thanks...
I do a 700 km (each way) trip several times a year and it takes about 30 minutes longer in my Model 3 Performance than it did in my ICE vehicle. No big deal, in other words.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #130
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yep! For me it's range, styling and to a lesser degree, lack of a manual.
Same here. I could never get past the styling on the model 3. It just looks so feminine

They also run on estrogen...

Last edited by Tall Tom Cruise; 11-06-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #131
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
I have not driven the 3, I think looks are subjective, I don't think the 3 looks bad, I really like the way the S looks, I have driven the P100D extensively.

I really would like to see how the 3 holds up, the S runs out of steam pretty quick and its not just on the track, mulitple runs against the Taycan and it was falling severely behind in regular 1/4mile runs etc from heat soak.

I am going electric next for the DD, most likely Taycan but I would be open to others.

My biggest gripe with Tesla is the build quality, its just off. And even when its not the materials are just not good.

I haven't been in the 3, but the S just feels cheap in every aspect of the interior for the price they are asking. I can't imagine that the 3 is of better quality than the S is inside.

The door closes, the feel of the finishes all feel very Honda like to me (Civic) and at that price point it should be better.

Unless Tesla really gets their Ecosystem growing with Solar Roof Tiles, Home Batteries, Charging Stations etc I dont think they survive and will eventually get bought by someone who knows how to build a car.

They have a big lead due to being out first, but big guys are coming and they are putting a lot of money into EV. We will see where it goes.

I do think though the S and the 3 are great for competition and its making other companies finally wake up.
      10-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #132
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
...I haven't been in the 3, but the S just feels cheap in every aspect of the interior for the price they are asking. I can't imagine that the 3 is of better quality than the S is inside...

I do think though the S and the 3 are great for competition and its making other companies finally wake up.
You might be surprised to hear that many, myself included, think the Model 3's cabin and build quality are superior to the Model S. Speaks to what Tesla has learned since they started building cars...

The overall build quality isn't up to German standards, but for me the overall ownership/driving experience compensates for that.

Also, the front seat comfort and audio system are the best I've experienced in a car, bar none, so there's that... ;-)
Appreciate 0