Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Opinions on Lane Keeping Assistant?

09-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #67
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I only play with it occasionally but thanks to another poster, the trick to making it mostly behave is to turn off the lane intervention on the lane departure warning.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #68
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

I was using it for the first 3000 miles but finally had to turn it off. Many Reason.

Trying to avoid a pot hole or manhole cover (wait can i say Manhole even these days?)
Changing lanes with out turn signal. I will tell you it has trained me to use my turn signals more.
Avoiding a puddle or a parked car.

But most of all was this. Living in Western PA we have a lot of rolling hills on the road. Many times reaching the top of said hills the car got confused when the front end was higher than the back and will turn the car into oncoming traffic if I was not careful and was not paying attention. not sure what it sees but that is down right scary. I hope they fix this situation quickly. I wonder who i complain too about that one.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      09-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #69
Portimao
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

I have a uk g20 and im not impressed with the function as standard. I love the car overall but the lane departure kicks in when it doesent need to - like when going around cyclists. Or when 2 lanes merge to one on faster roads and indication is not really required.

Not a massive problem though as the strength can be turned right down or the fearure can be turned off alltogether.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #70
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcontrollerone View Post
I took my M4 in for service and was given a 2019 330i with 1,500 miles on it as my loaner. The car is great for what it is, but I nearly lost control the first time the Lane Keeping Assistant kicked in! It was totally unexpected!

I wanted your opinion on this feature. Personally it would drive me nuts! I tend to switch lanes without using the blinker if there are no other cars around or when cutting across lanes during spirited driving. Guilty as charged, typical BMW driver.

I turned off the feature, and it still corrects the steering. Not sure if it needs to be coded out, but I don't like it!
I hate this feature as well. I do not want it on any vehicle that I purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #71
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes! You know what else I don't like as well? How much it hurts when I stab myself with a knife, they definitely should make it like that by default, it's very dangerous too.

/s

If you follow the rules and use things correctly, like they were designed to be used, you won't have any problems. Driving without using your blinkers, EVEN if there aren't any cars around you, is dangerous and irresponsible. Driving aggressively and not following the rules is not something to be proud of and that's not what a BMW driver is like, so please don't generalize as well.

You can do whatever you like, but don't complain when you use something incorrectly and you don't like the consequences. However, that is just my opinion.
LOL!!! I save most of it for the track, but who's not guilty of punching it on an open road??? You drive at the speed limit all the time??? ☺️
Actually, yes I do.

There are places where you can have fun with your car (i.e. a track), a public road is not one of them.

If you want to drive dangerously and risk hurting yourself, you are free to do so if you want, but never put other people's lives or property at risk. And having no one else around you is not an excuse, because there are plenty of stupid people who will break the rules too, whether intentionally or not, and they will come out of nowhere and one of those times you might not have enough time to react.

Nothing is worth either your or someone else's life.
Wait! You drive at exactly the posted speed limit on every residential street and every highway 100% of the time?!? I call B.S. on that one. That's like saying you never lie (..which we know isn't true after reading your post. ).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #72
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes! You know what else I don't like as well? How much it hurts when I stab myself with a knife, they definitely should make it like that by default, it's very dangerous too.

/s

If you follow the rules and use things correctly, like they were designed to be used, you won't have any problems. Driving without using your blinkers, EVEN if there aren't any cars around you, is dangerous and irresponsible. Driving aggressively and not following the rules is not something to be proud of and that's not what a BMW driver is like, so please don't generalize as well.

You can do whatever you like, but don't complain when you use something incorrectly and you don't like the consequences. However, that is just my opinion.
LOL!!! I save most of it for the track, but who's not guilty of punching it on an open road??? You drive at the speed limit all the time??? ☺️
Actually, yes I do.

There are places where you can have fun with your car (i.e. a track), a public road is not one of them.

If you want to drive dangerously and risk hurting yourself, you are free to do so if you want, but never put other people's lives or property at risk. And having no one else around you is not an excuse, because there are plenty of stupid people who will break the rules too, whether intentionally or not, and they will come out of nowhere and one of those times you might not have enough time to react.

Wait! You drive at exactly the posted speed limit 100% of the time?!? I call B.S. on that one. That's like saying you never lie.
Yes I do. The max I'll ever go over is 10% of the limit. Unless you're doing stupidly dangerous speeds, it really doesn't make a difference, you won't get to your destination any faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #73
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

/s

Actually, yes I do.

Wait! You drive at exactly the posted speed limit 100% of the time?!? I call B.S. on that one. That's like saying you never lie.
Yes I do. The max I'll ever go over is 10% of the limit. Unless you're doing stupidly dangerous speeds, it really doesn't make a difference, you won't get to your destination any faster.
Exponentially it does make a difference as the distance increases. For example......I shaved 45 minutes off my travel time driving back from Napa to SoCal by setting cruise control at 80mph (....much of the 5/580 freeway has a 70mph posted limit; average travel speeds are about 75mph on that a long stretch of highway).

There's a reason why us cops usually don't start citing people on the freeway until they are traveling at 10+ mph over the posted speed limit. Average travel speeds on a 65mph stretch of highway are between 72-75mph; someone driving 65mph in the #1-3 lanes is almost a safety hazard. Even #4 slow lane drivers are traveling around 68-70mph.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 05:25 AM   #74
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

I switched off both Lane-Keep Asistant and also disabled the steering wheel vibration in the first week of use.

Both of these options turned out to be totally useless for me, despite the fact I gave them a chance and played with different sensitivity settings.

Not only that I find them annoying and distracting, but also dangerous as the car occasionally decides to intervene when I don't expected it to. I want to keep a healthy level of driving involvement even in relaxed driving because I want to keep the full control of the car at all moments and I find the current capabilities of driving assistants systems to be nowhere near the level that would allow drivers to drift away while driving.

On the other hand, one of the things I thought I would never use is AUTO-HOLD. It's switched off most of the time, but when I find myself in the city stop-and-go traffic jams - i use it all the time and it works like a gem. As soon as the traffic opens up, I switch it off though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Before you guys disable you should try to reduce the sensitivity to the lowest level.
I tried exactly that as a last step before I finally turned it off.

Last edited by Calamari; 09-30-2019 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #75
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

/s

Actually, yes I do.

Exponentially it does make a difference as the distance increases. For example......I shaved 45 minutes off my travel time driving back from Napa to SoCal by setting cruise control at 80mph (....much of the 5/580 freeway has a 70mph posted limit; average travel speeds are about 75mph on that a long stretch of highway).

There's a reason why us cops usually don't start citing people on the freeway until they are traveling at 10+ mph over the posted speed limit. Average travel speeds on a 65mph stretch of highway are between 72-75mph; someone driving 65mph in the #1-3 lanes is almost a safety hazard. Even #4 slow lane drivers are traveling around 68-70mph.
You are absolutely correct. When I said I drive at the limit, I was talking about if I'm driving alone. If I'm driving with traffic, I always drive the same speed as everyone else. I have no problem driving at high speeds, I've driven 150+ mph many times before, I just don't want to anymore. And someone who was used to driving at high speeds and now I'm used to driving the limit, I can tell you that it really makes no difference.

As a cop, you have a much higher chance of not getting a ticket if you were stopped for speeding. As a regular citizen, I don't want a cop to stop me and tell me I did something wrong. Also cops in Canada are stricter than in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #76
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

Lane keep vs lane departure mitigation

I am surprised and disappointed (especially considering the cost) that my M340 does not have a lane keep assist feature that is independent of cruise control. My wife's X3 has this but I do not? Please correct me if I'm wrong. In the X3 you can drive semi-autonomously without cruise control on. In my car this only works with cruise on. I get that the M340 is designed for actively engaged drivers but when commuting it is helpful to have lane keep assist keeping you on the lanes if I'm tired.
I refer to the feature we have that sends you back into the lane if you actually cross the line at the side )or get too close) as Lane Departure Mitigation... but that may be Acura speak. My TLX lane keep assist (semi-autonomous driving... without cruise) was so smooth and seamless it was quite pleasant. Not so in our X3.
The most dangerous thing in my opinion is in the X3... sometimes on major highways occasionally when the car detects an off-ramp it will suddenly pull the vehicle against the drivers will into the offramp. That is nuts! And it never happened in the Acura. Haven't been in the M340 long enough to have that happen in that car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #77
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
I am surprised and disappointed (especially considering the cost) that my M340 does not have a lane keep assist feature that is independent of cruise control. My wife's X3 has this but I do not? Please correct me if I'm wrong. In the X3 you can drive semi-autonomously without cruise control on. In my car this only works with cruise on. I get that the M340 is designed for actively engaged drivers but when commuting it is helpful to have lane keep assist keeping you on the lanes if I'm tired.
I refer to the feature we have that sends you back into the lane if you actually cross the line at the side )or get too close) as Lane Departure Mitigation... but that may be Acura speak. My TLX lane keep assist (semi-autonomous driving... without cruise) was so smooth and seamless it was quite pleasant. Not so in our X3.
I am a bit confused by this - do you have Driving Assistant Professional or not? If you don't, then you have (standard) Lane Departure Avoidance, which should work independent from ACC.

If you have Driving Assistant Professional, then I read in a different forum that either slightly breaking or (more likely) slightly accelerating would turn off ACC while keeping the active steering on, did you try that?
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #78
Crusader
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M-sport

It's a royal PITA. I think the wheel vibration is a nice feature, but the intervention at the wheel is not. Encountered it first on an X5 loaner, then wife's 330i. Although it does a remarkable job of getting the car back in lane with a correction and counter-correction, it's obtrusive cubed and we immediately disabled the feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #79
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
I am a bit confused by this - do you have Driving Assistant Professional or not? If you don't, then you have (standard) Lane Departure Avoidance, which should work independent from ACC.

If you have Driving Assistant Professional, then I read in a different forum that either slightly breaking or (more likely) slightly accelerating would turn off ACC while keeping the active steering on, did you try that?
Yes I have DAP. I'm not sure how else to say it. The X3 (and Acura) has a button that allows you to engage Active Lane Keep for semi-autonomous driving but the driver still controls vehicle speed. Cruise control is not engaged. It's a feature I thought I'd never use but it turns out I used it all the time in the TLX... especially if I was tired. I use it less in the X3 because it isn't nearly as smooth and seamless as in the Acura. In the M340 I have to engage cruise control to have the feature. I rarely use cruise unless I'm on a major highway and want a relaxed drive. Sorry if I'm not communicating this effectively.

But I'll try modulating the speed as you have suggested and see if that works. Thanks!

Edit: Nope. Of course touching the brakes cancels cruise so no LKA.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #80
MineralM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
You should always have two hands on the wheel and always use turn signals even if there are no cars. If you don't use them when there are no cars, I know you probably don't use them most of the time anyway because it has to become a habit. If you have two hands on the wheel, LKA shouldn't ever feel dangerous.

BMW (and most other cars) have effectively removed any road feedback from the steering wheel so now when people feel artificial feedback they panic and have no idea what to do.
Yeah I am going to have to disagree on this one. I definitively switch lanes without the turn signal with nobody around, it not a problem, and LKA can be annoying. I only use it for cruise control highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #81
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
You should always have two hands on the wheel and always use turn signals even if there are no cars. If you don't use them when there are no cars, I know you probably don't use them most of the time anyway because it has to become a habit. If you have two hands on the wheel, LKA shouldn't ever feel dangerous.

BMW (and most other cars) have effectively removed any road feedback from the steering wheel so now when people feel artificial feedback they panic and have no idea what to do.
Yeah I am going to have to disagree on this one. I definitively switch lanes without the turn signal with nobody around, it not a problem, and LKA can be annoying. I only use it for cruise control highway driving.
Bad habits = bad driver. I agree though about LKA. I'd never option it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:29 AM   #82
Kleev
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

I'm pretty sure this is what I have felt, when driving. I thought there was something wrong with my car.

I was driving down a road and because of parked cars on the side of the road, you have to drive over the central line road markers, fairly standard here in London. I was going over 40mph and the steering jolted me back, almost like my car was sliding.

Also happened on an A road and felt like I nearly lost control.

This must be it. I tried turning it on in idrive but it says the feature will be enabled next timne I start the car. How do I turn it off permanently?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:28 AM   #83
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i, 2020 M340i

This just occurred happened to me on 31st Aug where I would have hated ANY sort of LKA intervention. Thankfully I had that turned off completely from day 1.

It might look like I sped up on the Scion, but due to the dash cam being fisheye lens, the TC appears much further than it actually is and I wasn't on the throttle very hard besides downshifting to speed up a bit on an open lane. I sped up quite a lot afterwards to just avoid them rather than slowing down.

After the Scion TC almost hit me, you could kind of see that the truck also wanted to do something similar but I was too pumped on adrenaline by this point that I was sort of an ass and didn't give them a chance to go in front of me.

Last edited by xacoffeemx; 09-04-2020 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 05:31 AM   #84
BmwDriverStockholm
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-sport sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoffeemx View Post
This just occurred happened to me on 31st Aug where I would have hated ANY sort of LKA intervention. Thankfully I had that turned off completely from day 1.

It might look like I sped up on the Scion, but due to the dash cam being fisheye lens, the TC appears much further than it actually is and I wasn't on the throttle very hard besides downshifting to speed up a bit on an open lane. I sped up quite a lot afterwards to just avoid them rather than slowing down.

After the Scion TC almost hit me, you could kind of see that the truck also wanted to do something similar but I was too pumped on adrenaline by this point that I was sort of an ass and didn't give them a chance to go in front of me.

Oh my god this driving is so bad! You are speeding and creating dangerous situation! Now I understand why in the US there are approx 10 times more death per capita than in Sweden.

For you guys who think that you don't need to indicate when "there is noone around you" - one day there will be a bike riding 300 km/h (200 mph) that you will not see and it will crash into you from nowhere. And chances are that you and your passengers will die. This happened before.

According to the rules you must indicate when changing lanes, moreover you need to check that manoeuvre is safe! Check mirrors, indicate - then change lane. In this case steering intervention will work for you, not against you.
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2020, 05:47 AM   #85
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
I disabled this through I-Drive in my X5. I am sure you can do the same in any G20 with the same feature. I have mine set to vibrate the steering wheel. If you’re just speaking about lane keeping assistant only, that can be toggled on and off as mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 06:20 AM   #86
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwDriverStockholm View Post
Quote:

Oh my god this driving is so bad! You are speeding and creating dangerous situation! Now I understand why in the US there are approx 10 times more death per capita than in Sweden.

For you guys who think that you don't need to indicate when "there is noone around you" - one day there will be a bike riding 300 km/h (200 mph) that you will not see and it will crash into you from nowhere. And chances are that you and your passengers will die. This happened before.

According to the rules you must indicate when changing lanes, moreover you need to check that manoeuvre is safe! Check mirrors, indicate - then change lane. In this case steering intervention will work for you, not against you.
Not sure if you're talking to me, but in my defense, I wasn't speeding at the time when the TC swerved into me. The only choices I had in that split moment when they decided to start merging into me was either brake or speed up. I chose to speed up because there is a chance that TC could also hit the brakes, but there is no chance it will be going the same speed I would.

The latter part of the video, I admit I was going a bit fast.

Although this might not directly relate to where I was positioned in the video, I have one note for you.. going 70-80mph in 65mph zone in Southern California is literally the flow of the traffic. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but in my opinion, it's safer to go 70-80mph with the flow of the traffic than going 65mph. But like I said, this doesn't apply to my video
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #87
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Not sure if you're talking to me, but in my defense, I wasn't speeding at the time when the TC swerved into me. The only choices I had in that split moment when they decided to start merging into me was either brake or speed up. I chose to speed up because there is a chance that TC could also hit the brakes, but there is no chance it will be going the same speed I would.

Although this might not directly relate to where I was positioned in the video, I have one note for you.. going 70-80mph in 65mph zone in Southern California is literally the flow of the traffic. This is probably an unpopular opinion, but in my opinion, it's safer to go 70-80mph with the flow of the traffic than going 65mph. But like I said, this doesn't apply to my video
It is safer to go with the flow of traffic, and I'm not judging (because there are times when I also make a call to accelerate, just to get away from cars that clearly aren't paying attention and are high risk for collision). But if you were in a wreck and that video were shown in court, more than likely the judgement would have been that you had already made a decision not to let the Scion in, and accelerated hard in an effort to block them. I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm saying that's what it looks like from viewing only that video clip.
Appreciate 2
      09-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #88
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Quote:

It is safer to go with the flow of traffic, and I'm not judging (because there are times when I also make a call to accelerate, just to get away from cars that clearly aren't paying attention and are high risk for collision). But if you were in a wreck and that video were shown in court, more than likely the judgement would have been that you had already made a decision not to let the Scion in, and accelerated hard in an effort to block them. I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm saying that's what it looks like from viewing only that video clip.
I think that it's all about context. Where I am coming from is from an on ramp of the freeway where I NEED to speed up. In the stretch, I was also taking the very next exit and it wasn't even me attempting a merge.

Second, it may seem like I accelerated a lot, but that's an illusion coming from the left lane decelerating. Notice the TC swerving into the lane the moment the car in front of him started to brake?

Third, that's not how the laws work here in USA. It's 90% the fault of the person not yielding to the other lane, and I didn't violate anything in this context. You could try to prove me wrong here.
Appreciate 0