Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications mFlasher is getting an update: OBD flashing support for ALL version of M340i

Closed Thread

08-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
mFlasher is getting an update: OBD flashing support for ALL version of M340i

Its has been some time since we have released the flash tuning support for M340i and already have a few very happy customers. Initial release did not include OBD flashing support for any firmware newer then July 2019 as we planned on waiting until October to release it to general public. That decision was made to fight our competitors from obtaining OBD flashing by cloning our tool, something that happened near a year ago when we released worlds first flashing support for Fxx B58, just to have 5 different company (old and new) follow suit weeks later.

But after getting numerous calls asking on the ETA of OBD flashing for the newest version, we have decided to update the mFlasher to support few awesome new features:

1) Full OBD flashing of any iLevel: We have added support to flash all new B58 iLevel updates (including Supra, G29 and G20) over OBD. Now lets see how long it takes for competitors to "claim" that they can also flash the newest ilevel.

2) Counter Lock: When we pioneered our way into the B58 flashing back in the fall of 2018, we have added SVK freeze into all of our flashing support. That means that even though your counter does go up, your SVK stays the same as it did when your car was not tuned (SVK is much more important as counter). Since we have never added counter freezing feature into our tool, Not a single competitor was able to offer it as well, and everyone was stuck with just SVK freezing. Now, we are extending this a step further, and once again for the first time on the market, including FULL SVK and Counter freezing to the B58 platform. From now on, no matter how many times you flash your car, your SVK will stay as it did before you began tuning, and counter will remain locked in place. The only time counter increases is when you flash your car to Full Original (Lock the DME) and then perform Unlock.

3) Basic Datalog support: The new mFlasher is receiving some Datalog functionality. This datalog will be very basic and minimal but a much more advanced version will be coming your way with iOS app release, which is right around the corner.

4) Accelerated flashing speeds. Due to the nature of the new processor on the M340 computers, we can accelerate the flashing process slightly. Now switching maps is extremely quick and done all in one step (from flashing to coding).

Last edited by MissionPerformance; 08-21-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 3
Dawko191.00
ssadri68.50
MAKH 587.00
      08-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Great news! Thanks!

Can you please also answer the questions in the other thread?

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Any option for a group buy?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
We will for sure have a group buy available. Group buy thread will be posted today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
That decision was made to fight our competitors from obtaining OBD flashing by cloning our tool, something that happened near a year ago when we released worlds first flashing support for Fxx B58, just to have 5 different company (old and new) follow suit weeks later.
Yeah that was pretty pathetic and obvious last year - let's see how long it takes them this time - I'm sure you made quite a few tuners happy this AM when they saw this news. Now they can access all your IP & R&D work simply by reverse engineering your solution. That said your actual tunes are still the best of the best and I'm sure it'll (the M340 tune) outshine the others - just too bad you made it so easy on them. No one I've seen delivers the safe balanced performance that you do - kudos for once again being the innovator!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Glad to hear OBD is an option now! Definitely an option that I'll be looking at..

With the counter and SVK lock, would a dealer know you've tuned the engine if you go back to OEM? You said the Counter still increments when you flash back to OEM, so I guess they could still tell you probably flashed the ECU?

Just trying to understand warranty implications - I realize I take all of the risk if the engine gets damaged and its because of the flash, but if lets say there was an unrelated engine problem, I would hate for a warranty claim to be denied because of the tune. I know Magnussen-Moss protects against that, but it is easy to point the finger at the tune and deny coverage for something potentially related.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
joes_m340
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Glad to hear OBD is an option now! Definitely an option that I'll be looking at..

With the counter and SVK lock, would a dealer know you've tuned the engine if you go back to OEM? You said the Counter still increments when you flash back to OEM, so I guess they could still tell you probably flashed the ECU?

Just trying to understand warranty implications - I realize I take all of the risk if the engine gets damaged and its because of the flash, but if lets say there was an unrelated engine problem, I would hate for a warranty claim to be denied because of the tune. I know Magnussen-Moss protects against that, but it is easy to point the finger at the tune and deny coverage for something potentially related.
Your last point is where I'm stuck. The Dinan tune is roughly $400 more. Is $400 extra enough to match a factory?
      08-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRK_RDY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post

Your last point is where I'm stuck. The Dinan tune is roughly $400 more. Is $400 extra enough to match a factory?
There is no dinan tune not for any B58 not for years nothing - they released a piggy back with lackluster reviews for the first B58 (search this forum for much research not my opinion just sharing what is available on this forum) some are happy most are not - that said it is a piggyback trick box - I've had a a few piggybacks (when flash options were not available) I would steer away especially with a flash now available / and in that we are talking about nearly 60k+ plus cars - please do it right

Don't get me wrong I loved Dinan back in the 80's/90's and even had the opportunity to hang out with Steve - but the Dinan of today is not the Dinan we (us old BMW guys) fell in love with years ago / Steve is gone and they are now corporate owned by Driven Performance Brand Group (which includes B&M Racing and Performance, Flowmaster, and Hurst Driveline Conversions etc) - I know we all long for that "factory backed" Dinan solution but when it comes to an actual tune for the B58 it doesn't exist

Last edited by chenry; 08-21-2019 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 04:36 AM   #9
ParrotBro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series since 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
We will for sure have a group buy available. Group buy thread will be posted today or tomorrow.
I would also like to know if this tune can be completely reversible with no trace of tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
There is no dinan tune not for any B58 not for years nothing - they released a piggy back with lackluster reviews for the first B58 (search this forum for much research not my opinion just sharing what is available on this forum) some are happy most are not - that said it is a piggyback trick box - I've had a a few piggybacks (when flash options were not available) I would steer away especially with a flash now available / and in that we are talking about nearly 60k+ plus cars - please do it right

Don't get me wrong I loved Dinan back in the 80's/90's and even had the opportunity to hang out with Steve - but the Dinan of today is not the Dinan we (us old BMW guys) fell in love with years ago / Steve is gone and they are now corporate owned by Driven Performance Brand Group (which includes B&M Racing and Performance, Flowmaster, and Hurst Driveline Conversions etc) - I know we all long for that "factory backed" Dinan solution but when it comes to an actual tune for the B58 it doesn't exist

Yikes, was not trying to ruffle any feathers. I'm aware Dinan doesn't have a tune currently, I'm eluding to their last one for the 2018, the DINANTRONICS Elite V2 for the BMW B58.

Politics aside, they offered a tune and honored the BMW warranty match, is that not a reasonable thing to ask about? I mean, we're talking about 60k+ cars now, personally I'd wait to see how these cars react with an aggressive tune like that before I buy one with no warranty option.
      08-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Crazyotter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C

I’m definitely very interested, but I’ll have to see some reviews and some track numbers(0-60 and 1/4 mile) before I pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yikes, was not trying to ruffle any feathers. I'm aware Dinan doesn't have a tune currently, I'm eluding to their last one for the 2018, the DINANTRONICS Elite V2 for the BMW B58.

Politics aside, they offered a tune and honored the BMW warranty match, is that not a reasonable thing to ask about? I mean, we're talking about 60k+ cars now, personally I'd wait to see how these cars react with an aggressive tune like that before I buy one with no warranty option.
No feathers or anything else ruffled - but thank you. So you are curious if the Dinan V2 elite piggyback for the 340 will be available for the current M340? In the same way people are plugging old JB4's into the current M340?

Last edited by chenry; 08-24-2019 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #13
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

No feathers or anything else ruffled - but thank you. So you are curious if the Dinan V2 elite piggyback for the 340 will be available for the current M340? In the same way people are plugging old JB4's into the current M340?
I'm not, but that's also a great question. Either way, it's exciting that companies are working on it.
      08-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #14
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not, but that's also a great question. Either way, it's exciting that companies are working on it.
Then I'm not understanding what you are referring to when you say "I'm eluding to their last one for the 2018, the DINANTRONICS Elite V2 for the BMW B58" For the benefit of the forum....that is/was a piggyback box. Dinan has never produced anything other than a piggyback for any B58 equipped car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #15
joes_m340
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Then I'm not understanding what you are referring to when you say "I'm eluding to their last one for the 2018, the DINANTRONICS Elite V2 for the BMW B58" For the benefit of the forum....that is/was a piggyback box. Dinan has never produced anything other than a piggyback for any B58 equipped car.

I was referring to your question of "In the same way people are plugging old JB4's into the current M340?". I was not wondering if you could plug in the older one, was simply bringing up that option and it's price compared to Mission's while suggesting the price differential doesn't seem drastic enough to not offer a warranty. Either way, all good, just trying to speak objectively.
      08-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #16
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post
I’m definitely very interested, but I’ll have to see some reviews and some track numbers(0-60 and 1/4 mile) before I pull the trigger.
Same here. But I'm still interested in seeing some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for a stock M340!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #17
Crazyotter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
Same here. But I'm still interested in seeing some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for a stock M340!
Reported times are 4.1 0-60 and 12.6 quarter
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotBro View Post
I would also like to know if this tune can be completely reversible with no trace of tune?
This is also very important to me. If detecting the tune is as easy as checking a variable when they plug in then this could be automated by BMW. Every time you go to the dealer and they plug into OBD it could potentially look for this variable and then upload to the BMW servers that your VIN has been tuned. This is what I am trying to avoid. Is this how it works? Can you please provide more details about how the locker works?

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #19
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyotter View Post
Reported times are 4.1 0-60 and 12.6 quarter
Wasn't that just the carwow test? Which was done on a wet surface not a dry prepped dragstrip. Plus that was an xi.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #20
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
This is also very important to me. If detecting the tune is as easy as checking a variable when they plug in then this could be automated by BMW. Every time you go to the dealer and they plug into OBD it could potentially look for this variable and then upload to the BMW servers that your VIN has been tuned. This is what I am trying to avoid. Is this how it works? Can you please provide more details about how the locker works?
I'm almost 100% sure this is not enough. They also log all of the data, current boost, etc. On startup they should also be getting a checksum of the ecu partition that contains the map and logging that. The flash count may be enough to throw off a tech glancing at it, but I'm sure if a BMW engineer digs into the logs they'll be able to tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #21
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
I'm almost 100% sure this is not enough. They also log all of the data, current boost, etc. On startup they should also be getting a checksum of the ecu partition that contains the map and logging that. The flash count may be enough to throw off a tech glancing at it, but I'm sure if a BMW engineer digs into the logs they'll be able to tell.
Hopefully Mission Performance can chime in on this but ultimately with the car having a constant connection to the BMW servers I am sure they would be able to remotely check the DME checksum. I know piggybacks are not nearly as good as the mFlasher tune but it might be the safer option for a lease? Hey Mission, any thoughts?

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #22
Crazyotter
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wasn't that just the carwow test? Which was done on a wet surface not a dry prepped dragstrip. Plus that was an xi.
It’s what BMW claims on its website and it was confirmed by at least two different sources. My stock car is fucking quick. I’ve walked a base C7, 740i, a few Chargers and a Camaro SS.
I definitely believe the 0-60 time.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread