Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions How to a get the vents to blow fresh air (not heated or cooled)?

10-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
daveshan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2020 M340i

How to a get the vents to blow fresh air (not heated or cooled)?

Is there any way to set the climate control system to let in fresh air from the outside that is NOT heated or cooled? In other words, same temp as if the window were open.

I'm already using all the following settings, but the air still seems to be warmed if it's cool outside:
- outside air, not recirculated
- A/C off
- blue/red dial in iDrive all the way to blue

There way an easy way to do this on my old E90, but similar issue with a 2015 M4.

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
How did you do it on the e90 and why doesn't that work anymore?

I'd say but the dial to center/white and set the inside temp to outside temp?
      10-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm surprised you could do so in the E90, my E91 wouldn't run at ambient air temperature, without A/C, or has any other BMW in recent years I've owned or driven.

I've found that there is so much to the HVAC systems these days embedded in the car, (not just BMW), that we pick up added temperature from the heat soak in the parts, ducting, etc.

Years back when fresh air came straight into the cabins, (with the right settings), we could have the same temperature.

In my current car (F11 5-series) I'd say I lose 3 - 4C from ambient outside air. I need air outside at 16 - 17C maximum, to have 20C face level air in the car, without A/C switched on.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I would set the temp to lo with AC off so the compressor is off. The center dial all the way to blue. The air may be a little warmer at first due to being in the engine bay or it may always be slightly warmer than open windows so maybe use the AC with temp set near the outside temp.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #5
daveshan
Private
Rep

Thanks for the quick input. Multiple replies here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
How did you do it on the e90 and why doesn't that work anymore?

I'd say but the dial to center/white and set the inside temp to outside temp?
On the E90, there was no blue/red dial (physical or virtual), so it was simply a matter of being on no recirc and no A/C.

Even on the blue, the air seems pretty warm, and the center/white is worse. Unfortunately, the inside temp setting only goes down to 61 (and then Lo below that), so it can't always be set to the outside temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm surprised you could do so in the E90, my E91 wouldn't run at ambient air temperature, without A/C, or has any other BMW in recent years I've owned or driven.

I've found that there is so much to the HVAC systems these days embedded in the car, (not just BMW), that we pick up added temperature from the heat soak in the parts, ducting, etc.

Years back when fresh air came straight into the cabins, (with the right settings), we could have the same temperature.

In my current car (F11 5-series) I'd say I lose 3 - 4C from ambient outside air. I need air outside at 16 - 17C maximum, to have 20C face level air in the car, without A/C switched on.
My E90 was a 2006, so it wasn't exactly "in recent years," lol. I do think you're correct in that it's picking up heat along the way. And/or, it may be heating the 57F outside air to 60/61F (minimum temp setting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I would set the temp to lo with AC off so the compressor is off. The center dial all the way to blue. The air may be a little warmer at first due to being in the engine bay or it may always be slightly warmer than open windows so maybe use the AC with temp set near the outside temp.
The first two sentences is exactly what I did. But I will try to be more patient and see if it cools down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
On the E90, there was no blue/red dial (physical or virtual), so it was simply a matter of being on no recirc and no A/C.
….

My E90 was a 2006, so it wasn't exactly "in recent years," lol. I do think you're correct in that it's picking up heat along the way. And/or, it may be heating the 57F outside air to 60/61F (minimum temp setting).

My E91 was a 2006 build, definitely a 'thumbwheel' to set face level ventilation temperature. What HVAC system in your E90 model? Base system? All 2-Zone Climate Control systems had the face level vent stratification feature.

Quote:
Even on the blue, the air seems pretty warm, and the center/white is worse. Unfortunately, the inside temp setting only goes down to 61 (and then Lo below that), so it can't always be set to the outside temp.
Has to be on 'Blue' to get the coldest air setting.

What sort of ambient temperatures are you working, with (or after) in the cabin? Even over distance, in free running conditions, it may be impossible to get an inside/outside temperature balance.

This subject has been raised before on different forums, I've actually used a thermometer on the vents to see the influence of heat soak, hence my comment on 3 - 4C difference in typical use.

We do have a full "Auto" setting, for precise climate control. It works.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
daveshan
Private
Rep

HighlandPete, thanks for the detailed input. You're going to have me driving around with an air temp sensor too!

And you are correct, in looking at old photos, there was a physical blue/red on my 2006 E90. Anecdotally, it didn't seem to have as strong an influence as my G20. (Or maybe the climate control system was less intrusive?)

I certainly use the Auto, thermostat, AC, etc. for more precise control of the cabin temp. In this case, it was the simple hope of getting the same effect as a rolled-down window (just filtered and less windy). But it seems that is not possible in certain conditions, such as a too cool outside temperature.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

Haven't seen that feature in decades.

I have owned quite a few cars but the only one that ever allowed fresh air to be pumped in was my first car. 1989 Honda Civic Hatchback. It was a good idea in a basic car with no AC. Heat for the passengers but I could blow cold winter air in my face to help keep me alert.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
I have owned quite a few cars but the only one that ever allowed fresh air to be pumped in was my first car. 1989 Honda Civic Hatchback.
My 2012 Highlander does that. When I first bought my F30 328i I kept trying and wondering why I could not achieve the same effect. Eventually I figured that's just how the system was designed in BMWs.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Is there any way to set the climate control system to let in fresh air from the outside that is NOT heated or cooled? In other words, same temp as if the window were open.

I'm already using all the following settings, but the air still seems to be warmed if it's cool outside:
- outside air, not recirculated
- A/C off
- blue/red dial in iDrive all the way to blue

There way an easy way to do this on my old E90, but similar issue with a 2015 M4.

Thanks for any help.
Yes there is !!!
Open the window
Appreciate 0