Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Pics of Slybrackets No Drill Front Plate Bracket on G20

10-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Pics of Slybrackets No Drill Front Plate Bracket on G20

I ordered a Slybrackets Front Plate mount (Mesh Grille style) for my M340i since I live in a state that requires a front plate and the police love to enforce the rule.

I saw some previous posts on a tow hook mount for the front plate and one for Sto N Sho - but I've seen the tow hook ones can potentially interfere with the parking sensors and the Sto N Sho looks like it would get in the way of the radar cruise control sensor.

One other member also ordered the Slybrackets mount and it fit so I decided to order this one.

Thought I'd share some pictures of the Slybracket front plate mount attached to my car. This bracket requires no drilling or screwing into your bumper at all so it is fully reversible.

Happy to answer any questions you have about the mount or installing it too!

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #2
BMW4RON
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Infiniti Q50 RedSport 400

Thanks, Liquid_Ice for the information and especially for the pictures. Your post has really helped me decide my next step--Sly Brackets it will be. I am due to take delivery of my M340i by the beginning of December and in California you must have the plate brackets installed before they allow you to drive off the lot (temporary paper plates are now mandatory upon delivery).

Did you mount the brackets off center because of a sensor in the middle of the lower grill? Also, need to know where you purchased the black shadowline grill surround (was it installed at the port by BMW and if not who was the vendor?). Likewise did you have lower left and right front black shadowline air inlets (in front of the wheel wells) installed. I cannot tell by looking at the pictures. This mod is available on European M340i versions but I have yet to see it available anywhere here in the US.

Thanks for the help. Trying to find a tow hook license bracket has been a problem for many new M340i buyers and you have now supplied the most viable alternative solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Do what I did and just don’t put the front plate on. It looks so much better
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Two questions:

1.Can I mount it in the center (I don't have the radar cruise control)?
2. Will it interfere with cooling in any way?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Two questions:

1.Can I mount it in the center (I don't have the radar cruise control)?
2. Will it interfere with cooling in any way?

Thanks.
1. Yes you can if you don't have the radar sensor.

2. I have no idea - I don't think it would -- I've had it mounted for a few weeks now and no issues with cooling (but its been cold out!).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4RON View Post
Thanks, Liquid_Ice for the information and especially for the pictures. Your post has really helped me decide my next step--Sly Brackets it will be. I am due to take delivery of my M340i by the beginning of December and in California you must have the plate brackets installed before they allow you to drive off the lot (temporary paper plates are now mandatory upon delivery).

Did you mount the brackets off center because of a sensor in the middle of the lower grill? Also, need to know where you purchased the black shadowline grill surround (was it installed at the port by BMW and if not who was the vendor?). Likewise did you have lower left and right front black shadowline air inlets (in front of the wheel wells) installed. I cannot tell by looking at the pictures. This mod is available on European M340i versions but I have yet to see it available anywhere here in the US.

Thanks for the help. Trying to find a tow hook license bracket has been a problem for many new M340i buyers and you have now supplied the most viable alternative solution.
I had to install the slybracket off center because of the radar cruise control sensor in the middle. The black grille was port installed, but I haven't bought the lower left and right front black air inlets - mine are still cerium grey, but so are my side mirrors. You can buy the air inlet parts, they're about $55 each IIRC.

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...ft-51118093301 is the left one, https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...ht-51118093302 is the right one.

In VA, the police are notorious for pulling you over for no front plate - and it used to be a fix-it ticket (you produce proof you've fixed the problem and thats it), while now it is an automatic fine. I know a lot of folks like going with no front plate - but this makes it easy to take back off.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:32 AM   #7
BMW4RON
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Infiniti Q50 RedSport 400

Thanks, Liquid_Ice. Your help is very much appreciated.

PS: Just received an email response today from SlyBrackets telling me that I am on their order waiting list. Their product must be popular if they have run out of inventory.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #8
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4RON View Post
Thanks, Liquid_Ice. Your help is very much appreciated.

PS: Just received an email response today from SlyBrackets telling me that I am on their order waiting list. Their product must be popular if they have run out of inventory.
Yeah when I ordered my Slybracket, it was backordered but the website said a new shipment was coming in October (I got my car in September and ordered it shortly after) - to their word, they shipped it right around the middle of October.
Appreciate 0