Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Any MotoGP or WSBK fans?

08-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

^^Lmao Yes I am a fan. Have been for a long time.

Here is the first video I ever made, it's a Rossi tribute I made close to 3 years ago.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #24
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

08-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Haha oh man. I saw that during the race but this specific video cracked me up.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #26
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
What are your thoughts on the new suspension that BMW is throwing on the s1000? Supposed to be electrical.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #27
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBiscuit View Post
What are your thoughts on the new suspension that BMW is throwing on the s1000? Supposed to be electrical.

I think its great for weekend warriors like myself. Especially for a bike that will be pulling double duty as a street bike and track day bike. Suspension will automatically dial in based on conditions and aggressiveness. That translates into a bike that is somewhat forgiving/comfy on the street, yet tightens up for track day or extreme canyon carving.

Technology has been around for a few years. MotoGP tried using it a few years back and then it was banned. Original idea for them was to have it linked to GPS and have a suspension that adjusted individually for each and every corner, much like the engine/fuel mapping already is.

Ducati has had it in production for a bit now. The Multistrada has an electronically controlled on the fly adjuster for choosing between different set ups (off road, city, etc), and the Panigale has it as an available option.
      08-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #28
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
I think its great for weekend warriors like myself. Especially for a bike that will be pulling double duty as a street bike and track day bike. Suspension will automatically dial in based on conditions and aggressiveness. That translates into a bike that is somewhat forgiving/comfy on the street, yet tightens up for track day or extreme canyon carving.

Technology has been around for a few years. MotoGP tried using it a few years back and then it was banned. Original idea for them was to have it linked to GPS and have a suspension that adjusted individually for each and every corner, much like the engine/fuel mapping already is.

Ducati has had it in production for a bit now. The Multistrada has an electronically controlled on the fly adjuster for choosing between different set ups (off road, city, etc), and the Panigale has it as an available option.
My understanding was that the HP4 is the first bike to do it on the fly without any input.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #29
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

^That may be so, I was unable to find any specifics on the operation of the Panigale's optional DES.

I was merely commentating on the electrical aspect of it.

Edit: My friend and I actually had a conversation about this yesterday. What we seem to think the ultimate direction they should have, is a learning mode. In this mode you go out on a track and do a session, and the bike collects the telemetry data. Come in press a program button, and it analyzes and optimizes the suspension based on a turn by turn basis (not unlike the MotoGP idea above) and is linked to the GPS. In this method you can have a truly standardized set up that you can save to a specific track, so that the bike is always consistent from lap to lap, with the option to program via laptop to customize/fine tune to user preferences.
      08-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #30
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^That may be so, I was unable to find any specifics on the operation of the Panigale's optional DES.

I was merely commentating on the electrical aspect of it.

Edit: My friend and I actually had a conversation about this yesterday. What we seem to think the ultimate direction they should have, is a learning mode. In this mode you go out on a track and do a session, and the bike collects the telemetry data. Come in press a program button, and it analyzes and optimizes the suspension based on a turn by turn basis (not unlike the MotoGP idea above) and is linked to the GPS. In this method you can have a truly standardized set up that you can save to a specific track, so that the bike is always consistent from lap to lap, with the option to program via laptop to customize/fine tune to user preferences.

I personally think that's overkill. All this quickshifter, traction control, anti wheelie, ABS, mode selection and countless other stuff gets too much. Cars are already to teched out and needlessly getting to the extent where it pretty much drives itself, i don't want that to happen to bikes. Over the past few years the aformentioned systems have increased and have been added to pretty much every current Superbike/litre bike now.

There is a fine line between just the right amount of tech, and too much. I think we are just at the threshold of that line.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #31
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

lol...I am actually fan of mike doohan, guess I'm getting old
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Yamaha was doing this a few years back in WSB with their ohlins. Haga seemed to like it. I'm interested to see what people think. I like the whole electronic thing like traction control and electrical suspension control and ABS but I think there should be a way to turn it off if you want also.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #33
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Riding out to Indy in 2 weeks!! First moto gp race, go Nicky!!
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #34
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

watching him at laguna this year was sad, especially after watching him beat Stoner there a few years ago (I was sitting at the corkscrew when he made that pass!).

That said, 80% of the fans in the stands were wearing number #46, by far the most popular racer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
watching him at laguna this year was sad, especially after watching him beat Stoner there a few years ago (I was sitting at the corkscrew when he made that pass!).

That said, 80% of the fans in the stands were wearing number #46, by far the most popular racer.
This makes me sad. I know Rossi is awesome and probably a great guy but i wish people would root for the home team. I would love to see Hayden start winning again. Fuck I would love to finally see the tornado take his first win!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #36
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Not gonna happen for Colin or Nicky. Not with the bike's they are on and the competition they are against.

Vale is by far the most popular racer for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #37
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
Vale is by far the most popular racer for a reason.
Because he can master any bike because he is the "Doctor" ??

Seems to have been proven otherwise by the past two years and his apparent impending return to Yamaha next year.

I think if he goes back to Yamaha it will show that he is still competitive but the wins will be few, and I can almost guarantee that he will not get that 10th World Championship.
      08-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #38
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Because he can master any bike because he is the "Doctor" ??

Seems to have been proven otherwise by the past two years and his apparent impending return to Yamaha next year.

I think if he goes back to Yamaha it will show that he is still competitive but the wins will be few, and I can almost guarantee that he will not get that 10th World Championship.
As the saying goes, NEVER write off Valentino Rossi.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #39
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Im willing to put money down that Rossi will not see another championship, unless he goes WSBK.
      08-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Im willing to put money down that Rossi will not see another championship, unless he goes WSBK.
He sure as hell won't if he stays at Ducati.

An announcement from Yamaha is expected on August 15, confirming that Vale has signed.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #41
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Offical: Rossi is leaving Ducati and has signed a 2 year deal with Yamaha!!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #42
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Strongly Rumored Dovi has signed with Ducati.

Bummed. Was hoping he would bail out of this sinking ship and go to WSBK, like Spies is *hopefully* doing.
      08-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #43
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link
Just wondering if any of you are two wheel addicts like myself.

I'm a Spies fan myself but he has been royally screwing up this year and I am fairly certain he will be losing his factory seat with Yamaha.

Looking forward to Assen is weekend, always a favorite of mine.
Ducati SBK owner! Track days in Mugello, Imola, Monza, Misano and here in Mettet (Belgium). DRE expert rider course.
Cheers