Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics iDrive Controller Issues

10-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
stepheng273
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

iDrive Controller Issues

So I did the crystal iDrive controller conversion. After putting everything back together, the lights on the controller knob itself flashed, but never turned back on.

The next day the haptic feedback on the shortcut buttons stopped working. A few days later the tilt functions on the knob stopped working. THEN a few days later the lights on the shortcut buttons stopped working.

The shortcut buttons still work, but no lights at night or vibration on press. The rotation, click (press to select), and touchpad on the iDrive controller all still work fine as well.

I've been doing some research over the past few weeks when I've had time, but I've found nothing helpful. Anyone know what the issue could be or have something that can point me in the right direction?

I've also researched instructions on how to replace the controller module. I've found the part, but can't find any instructions on how to actually do the replacement.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheng273 View Post
So I did the crystal iDrive controller conversion. After putting everything back together, the lights on the controller knob itself flashed, but never turned back on.

The next day the haptic feedback on the shortcut buttons stopped working. A few days later the tilt functions on the knob stopped working. THEN a few days later the lights on the shortcut buttons stopped working.

The shortcut buttons still work, but no lights at night or vibration on press. The rotation, click (press to select), and touchpad on the iDrive controller all still work fine as well.

I've been doing some research over the past few weeks when I've had time, but I've found nothing helpful. Anyone know what the issue could be or have something that can point me in the right direction?

I've also researched instructions on how to replace the controller module. I've found the part, but can't find any instructions on how to actually do the replacement.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
In the same boat, need to buy a new one. I spilled coffee on my iDrive controller this morning, haptic buttons stopped working but knob still works. I used this video to figure out how to pull it out;

Once you get it out, there’s 4 black screws that you remove and 4 clips that release it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
What's the part number for the controller? My back button physically moves, whereas the rest don't. Reading this post, I didn't know it's haptic feedback you're supposed to get rather than a physical movement. Buttons still work, but I might wanna replace it if it isn't supposed to move

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Mine stopped working completely and had to be replaced. Nothing spilled on it or anything like that, just a failure of the iDrive controller.
      11-14-2021, 01:43 PM   #5
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
What's the part number for the controller? My back button physically moves, whereas the rest don't. Reading this post, I didn't know it's haptic feedback you're supposed to get rather than a physical movement. Buttons still work, but I might wanna replace it if it isn't supposed to move
Yes, every button should deliver a firm haptic click. I’m surprised yours halfway works (seems like it would be all or none). Thankfully mine started working again after a 24 hour drying off period. I had removed mine and tried to take it apart but not much luck because I couldn’t figure out how to remove the knob. But I was able to take it apart just enough to blast it properly with compressed air. You might be able to fix yours the same way by blasting away any potential dust/debris that may be causing a problem. It’s definitely worth a shot before dropping $150 on a new part.

So the obvious flaw I see with this controller: the stem of the knob is open to the haptic area, so if anything liquid, or maybe even fine dirt/sand/dust gets under the knob, it’s going travel directly below the haptic buttons to ruin the haptic button function. The part number is BMW 65829891627-01. See auction link for the part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323890218642
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Yes, every button should deliver a firm haptic click. I’m surprised yours halfway works (seems like it would be all or none). Thankfully mine started working again after a 24 hour drying off period. I had removed mine and tried to take it apart but not much luck because I couldn’t figure out how to remove the knob. But I was able to take it apart just enough to blast it properly with compressed air. You might be able to fix yours the same way by blasting away any potential dust/debris that may be causing a problem. It’s definitely worth a shot before dropping $150 on a new part.

So the obvious flaw I see with this controller: the stem of the knob is open to the haptic area, so if anything liquid, or maybe even fine dirt/sand/dust gets under the knob, it’s going travel directly below the haptic buttons to ruin the haptic button function. The part number is BMW 65829891627-01. See auction link for the part.

Yeah, I'll give that a shot first before doing anything else. Thanks!!

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #7
stepheng273
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post

This makes perfect sense as to why things started breaking one-by-one. If dust got in, it may have travelled around as I used the knob and started breaking other functions. Also, thanks for the vid! I'll definitely try blasting the knob with air to see if that helps. If not, I'll just replace it.

I'll try to remember to report my results.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
stepheng273
Rep

Blowing air into the controller didn't help for me. I ended up purchasing a new controller and replacing it. Works perfectly again. It was surprisingly quick and easy.
Appreciate 0