Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Automation for memory seats?

01-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Automation for memory seats?

Apologies if wrong topic, it seemed like this question belonged under electronics.

Does the G20 allow automatically switching between driver seat position 1 and 2 depending on whether the car is in park/drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

You can switch memory seat profiles while you're driving. I hate when manufacturers lock that function out unless you're in park.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
You can switch memory seat profiles while you're driving. I hate when manufacturers lock that function out unless you're in park.
Thank you for the response; I mostly wondered about the automation possibility, whether there's a setting somewhere that can do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

What do you mean by automation possibility?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by automation possibility?
In the simplest form of the question (and original post), I mean automatically switching between driver seat position 1 and 2 depending on whether the car is in park/drive

.. in other words having one setting for driving, another for getting in and out of the vehicle, and it switches between them automatically (no button presses)..

It may seem bizarre, but in some cars, the seat position I prefer for long drives sometimes ends up with the top of my thigh rubbing the bottom of the steering wheel -- if the wheel leather is soft enough it can scuff. I can usually find a wheel position that I like only slightly less, but I thought it would be great if the car just moved the seat down and back a little when I put it in park...

And as a slightly more open question I guess I was wondering what the automation possibilities (if any) were (meaning, can you do things automatically switch seat settings based on other conditions like whether you're in comfort or sport mode, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh I see...like comfort or convenience access as some companies call it. The G20 does not have it (in any market) to my understanding. My previous Lexus IS350 and Audi S4 and S5 both had that feature, which although I turned it off as personal preference, I can see how it would make entering and exiting the car much easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh I see...like comfort or convenience access as some companies call it. The G20 does not have it (in any market) to my understanding. My previous Lexus IS350 and Audi S4 and S5 both had that feature, which although I turned it off as personal preference, I can see how it would make entering and exiting the car much easier.
Thanks, I was pretty I had heard of some cars that had this. I also wondered if it might be considered a safety hazard by some (i.e. the seat starts backing up without warning when there is a long legged passenger in the back). But I suppose if Lexus and Audi did it, they found ways around that possibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #8
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

The G20 doesn't have it by default, but I've read some have managed to code it in. Its called 'Easy Access', and it moves the seat back automatically as you enter/exit.

On my previous Lexus the steering wheel used to retract, which is impossible in the G20 as it only has manual steering adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Its called 'Easy Access', and it moves the seat back automatically as you enter/exit.

On my previous Lexus the steering wheel used to retract, which is impossible in the G20 as it only has manual steering adjustments.
I think it’s called same thing on Teslas, which is how I found about this function. I had the same thought about using the second seat position to hack the functionality. Hope it can be done!
Appreciate 0