Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Cruise control and brake function

01-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Cruise control and brake function

When I have my cruise set I notice that I am able to cruise right up to the car in front, without the automatic brake function kicking in. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure if there is a fault with my radar? I know my car doesn't have the adaptive cruise feature but miffed why the sensor in the bumper doesn't at least stop the car crashing into the car in front when cruising?

I am aware that the description cruise and brake refers to the dial on the SW being able to accelerate and brake but it's way too much effort to be braking all the time and resetting the cruise. I'm used to the AC after having it on my previous car but I see lots of G20s don't have this option selected, for me it's a top feature
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
nashdm2
Private
Rep
Drives: F11

The facility you are talking about is adaptive cruise, and as you state, you don't have that. The brake function is part of the basic cruise control and only brakes the car on down hills etc to maintain the speed you have set.

It will not stop you cruising into a car ahead.
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashdm2 View Post
The facility you are talking about is adaptive cruise, and as you state, you don't have that. The brake function is part of the basic cruise control and only brakes the car on down hills etc to maintain the speed you have set.

It will not stop you cruising into a car ahead.
Crazy how it has all the safety features to stop you hitting a pedestrian and lane assist etc but is happy to plough into the car in front! Surely this will be added with a software upgrade, crazy imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:22 AM   #4
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKILLA View Post
When I have my cruise set I notice that I am able to cruise right up to the car in front, without the automatic brake function kicking in. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure if there is a fault with my radar? I know my car doesn't have the adaptive cruise feature but miffed why the sensor in the bumper doesn't at least stop the car crashing into the car in front when cruising?

I am aware that the description cruise and brake refers to the dial on the SW being able to accelerate and brake but it's way too much effort to be braking all the time and resetting the cruise. I'm used to the AC after having it on my previous car but I see lots of G20s don't have this option selected, for me it's a top feature
So let me get this straight. You KNOW it doesn't have Adaptive Cruise Control, but thought it would have some kind of collision avoidance system, similar to that which would react if a pedestrian stepped out in front of the car, and you want to be able to rely on it to avoid crashing into the car in front because you find braking "too much effort"?
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2020, 04:13 AM   #5
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack San Marino Blue

Garage List
Quote:

Hi like Nashdm2 said - Cruise Control with brake just brakes when you reach the speed set. EG if you are going down hill rather than the car going past the cruise mph you have set. The car will brake. This is what the automatic braking description in cruise control with breaking means.
I can see why you may have mistakenly thought it does what you described however it doesn't. You would need adaptive radar cruise control for that.
You I think will have a system which brakes automatically to avoid hitting a car or pedestrians when you drive at slower speeds. I think it's up to 35mph the system will intervene if you are about to run into the rear bumper of a car in a city centre. This only works as I say at lower speeds. It is also not related to cruise control automatic braking. I think the still system is called "front-end collision warning with City Braking function" . So as you can see it's for use in the city.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2020, 04:01 AM   #6
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

The radar controlled cruise control is part of the Driver Assistance option in the uk.

Works a treat on motorways, not so keen on smaller roads, but very nice when in stop/start traffic
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:34 AM   #7
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermack View Post
Quote:

Hi like Nashdm2 said - Cruise Control with brake just brakes when you reach the speed set. EG if you are going down hill rather than the car going past the cruise mph you have set. The car will brake. This is what the automatic braking description in cruise control with breaking means.
I can see why you may have mistakenly thought it does what you described however it doesn't. You would need adaptive radar cruise control for that.
You I think will have a system which brakes automatically to avoid hitting a car or pedestrians when you drive at slower speeds. I think it's up to 35mph the system will intervene if you are about to run into the rear bumper of a car in a city centre. This only works as I say at lower speeds. It is also not related to cruise control automatic braking. I think the still system is called "front-end collision warning with City Braking function" . So as you can see it's for use in the city.
Thanks for clearing this up, appreciate the response 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #8
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Quote:

So let me get this straight. You KNOW it doesn't have Adaptive Cruise Control, but thought it would have some kind of collision avoidance system, similar to that which would react if a pedestrian stepped out in front of the car, and you want to be able to rely on it to avoid crashing into the car in front because you find braking "too much effort"?
I am asking if anyone's car recognises an obstacle at speed and reduces speed. I don't expect the car to auto accelerate and constantly brake as it doesn't have adaptive cruise, I just want to know if there's an issue with mine and if it doesn't work by design then that's fine.

You're just asking a bit of my question back to me, your reply is not helpful whatsoever and if you can't be bothered to be helpful I'd rather you simply kept your comments to yourself and don't reply to any of my posts thank you.
Appreciate 1
nashdm218.00
      01-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #9
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
You can test this with a big cardboard box, find a quiet industrial estate, place box in road and drive towards it. You should get the autonomous braking kick in as it detects you are driving towards a static object.

I tried this on my old Peugeot as my model in 2015 was the only model to have this feature (called AEB). I tried this as I was getting random error messages. Dealers did not know what to do as my model was less than 300 units in the UK so a very rare model.

A few weeks later my car was rear ended by marked Police car at speed. Reason was my car braked me as car in front slowed down to turn right but I had not slowed down quickly enough but AEB had. Result Police rear ended me and I rear ended car in front...
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 1
BMKILLA50.50
      04-06-2024, 06:01 PM   #10
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Yes!!!
Appreciate 0