Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Picked up my new 330e - Fuel consumption and electric range tested

01-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #331
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: slow

Today's commute

Everything on, most of the driving done where the speed limit is at 70-80km/h. Same as yesterday more or less
Attached Images

Last edited by Mazman; 01-16-2020 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #332
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I started off this morning with it showing an electric range of 50kms. I made three trips all in electric mode totalling 30 kms and I'm all out of electric power.
Is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #333
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I started off this morning with it showing an electric range of 50kms. I made three trips all in electric mode totalling 30 kms and I'm all out of electric power.
Is that normal?
Yes if there is a lot of stop starting, it drains the battery very quickly when you have to keep starting from a standstill, keeping you moving once going is a different story
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #334
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Is that normal?
You have to remember the car weighs quite a lot with the batteries and the electric motor onboard. The start stop driving will suck a lot of juice or fuel
      01-17-2020, 01:04 AM   #335
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

100% charge this morning showing a range of 33kms. I'm not going to climatise as that would drop it to 20kms. 33kms or 20 miles isn't overly impressive or is it?

Als, when I came home yesterday at 6.15pm and plugged the charger in, it started charging even though I have it set on the app to charge during the night (11pm - 8am). Did I do something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #336
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep
Drives: 330e, e36 compact drifter

BMW 330e Battery Capacity (car 1 week old)

Hi

My 330e (brand new) was delivered last week and plugged in at home, fully charged the range is 20 -21 miles as apposed to the WLTP figure of 34-36miles real world driving. This is really poor and id like to hear if anyone else is having this issue?

Also i dont understand why the cable supplied only charges at 10amps and not 13amps as a standard socket will do. This means there is about a 25% loss in speed for charging which again is bad because around town at weekends i need it to charge fast to keep off the fuel. Is it just a marketing ploy as as they are obviously trying to sell me a type 2 to type connector and wall box. Again, not worth it given the miles its achieving on electric and time it would take to break even.

Given my local fuel rate of 1.25/ltr and 20mile range its costing 9.4p per mile versus the expected cost of 5p if it were hitting the 40 miles range. Hardly worth the bother of charging to be honest with these numbers.

Very disappointed to be honest although the car itself is lovely.

cheers for any replies i get.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #337
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftymcDriftFace View Post
Hi

My 330e (brand new) was delivered last week and plugged in at home, fully charged the range is 20 -21 miles as apposed to the WLTP figure of 34-36miles real world driving. This is really poor and id like to hear if anyone else is having this issue?

Also i dont understand why the cable supplied only charges at 10amps and not 13amps as a standard socket will do. This means there is about a 25% loss in speed for charging which again is bad because around town at weekends i need it to charge fast to keep off the fuel. Is it just a marketing ploy as as they are obviously trying to sell me a type 2 to type connector and wall box. Again, not worth it given the miles its achieving on electric and time it would take to break even.

Given my local fuel rate of 1.25/ltr and 20mile range its costing 9.4p per mile versus the expected cost of 5p if it were hitting the 40 miles range. Hardly worth the bother of charging to be honest with these numbers.

Very disappointed to be honest although the car itself is lovely.

cheers for any replies i get.
Battery has a useable capacity of 10.4kWh, based on a 12kWh battery pack.

Are you trying to pre-condition the car as part of the charge on the 10amp supply/charger? If so, there's part of the problem.

Other factor, WLTP is not real world, it is a 'comparison' test and there are still many variables in use, particularly if the weather is cold.

Speed is the other enemy, you'll find those getting near to the expected figures are not driving fast, when you see their posted displays.

Hang around, there are many other 330e users on the same learning curve, who will contribute to the topic.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #338
rf3000
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I’m happy with my range. 11C this morning, no pre-conditioning, around 25km highway at 120-130km/h and 10km of road with some traffic, average 77.7km/h for 34.6km all electric and still have 15km left, with average consumption of 18.9 kWh/100km. Pretty good

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #339
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep

Hi

thanks for the reply.

No preconditioning, i am simply saying that charging at home with the car stationary and off and the lead plugged in the maximum range i am getting is 20-21miles so the effect of driver and condition is moot.

WLTP figures are those quoted by the dealer and im under the impression that the whole point is to show what should be expected in real life driving situations on average ie it more accurate than previous tests. WLTP figures are also important for BIK rates and if the car doesnt achieve 30 miles on an electric charge (after April 2020) that effectively would cost 2% per month so the WLTP figures ought to be accurate as i cant see the government losing out on that 2% for nothing.

Irrespective of this, if the battery is only charging to 20-21 miles, its cost me 9.3p per mile (£1.86/20 miles)and using fuel alone is around 11p per mile. Charging on the road at charge stations is going to cost more than at home so is likely to cost the same as petrol if not more making the whole point redundant, for economy at least.

I dont see any problem with my maths or logic but happy to listen. I have called my local BMW garage today and they are having the car in on the 24th to check as they said when they went on a training course the cars were on around 35miles on a full charge which is what i would expect.

cheers and happy to hear any more.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:27 PM   #340
rf3000
Private
Rep

What is your average kWh consumption? Do you drive on heavy traffic? If so, I’d suggest to try it on a highway without much traffic, to drive at 110-120km/h. You should be around 19-21kwh/100km which gives you a bit more of 50km range (close to those 35mi)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #341
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hi

thanks for the reply.

No preconditioning, i am simply saying that charging at home with the car stationary and off and the lead plugged in the maximum range i am getting is 20-21miles so the effect of driver and condition is moot.

WLTP figures are those quoted by the dealer and im under the impression that the whole point is to show what should be expected in real life driving situations on average ie it more accurate than previous tests. WLTP figures are also important for BIK rates and if the car doesnt achieve 30 miles on an electric charge (after April 2020) that effectively would cost 2% per month so the WLTP figures ought to be accurate as i cant see the government losing out on that 2% for nothing.

Irrespective of this, if the battery is only charging to 20-21 miles, its cost me 9.3p per mile (£1.86/20 miles)and using fuel alone is around 11p per mile. Charging on the road at charge stations is going to cost more than at home so is likely to cost the same as petrol if not more making the whole point redundant, for economy at least.

I dont see any problem with my maths or logic but happy to listen. I have called my local BMW garage today and they are having the car in on the 24th to check as they said when they went on a training course the cars were on around 35miles on a full charge which is what i would expect.

cheers and happy to hear any more.
My first question has to be, what mileage on EV did you actually get when driving the car?

'Predictions' are not always going to look as we'd expect. It is going to depend on the actual consumption, previous use, consumer demands. The key figure to be looking to is in use, kWh/100km or Wh/mile. Then you will have a better idea how many miles you'll likely get, in your own driving situation/conditions.

Don't get hung up on WLTP figures, they are official test figures, not what can be achieved in all conditions. Yes, they are better than the old NEDC figures, but still not truly reflective of real world driving. They are weighted in favour of the transition from the old test regime.

We've users on here saying they can see a 20 - 25% reduction in range, simply preconditioning the car. WLTP doesn't account for that function, from low ambient temperatures.

If you haven't come across the following linked site, have a look at the 330e and see some of the variables. Specifically the energy consumptions.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1212/BMW-330e
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #342
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I left home this morning with a range of 21 miles indicated, I achieved, as I did yesterday, 30 miles in electric only mode driving at 50-70 mph. Stop start driving kills the estimation and intact the batteries charge, it is overly onerous on the battery to be accelerating the weight of the car from a standstill a lot, the best situation is when the car is cruising at a fairly constant speed. Use of the assisted driving pro package helps with gentle acceleration and roundabout/junction anticipation making most of the coasting 0 energy use or recouperation. I never expected to get the 37 miles quoted and when I do short journeys in stop start traffic I get about 20 miles of electric, when cruising at 50-70 I get 30, that 10 mile addition to the range comes purely from not changing speed too much, once the car is moving it can speed up and slow down using minimal energy but getting it to move in the first place takes its toll on the battery level. I have found that I get more range running electric only until the battery is depleted, then when the car changes to hybrid, I press the button again to put it init hybrid eco pro, this seems to allow far more electric miles than hybrid mode alone. Also always set the nav for every journey and let the car do the work.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #343
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
This has been, and I think still is, thoroughly discussed here: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25200420

Lots of experience sharing and data points to consider. Take a look.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #344
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf3000 View Post
I’m happy with my range. 11C this morning, no pre-conditioning, around 25km highway at 120-130km/h and 10km of road with some traffic, average 77.7km/h for 34.6km all electric and still have 15km left, with average consumption of 18.9 kWh/100km. Pretty good
I think we have a few on here 'panicking' when they see the predicted range.

Your figures including 25km @ 120 - 130km/h aren't bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #345
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep

hi

thanks all for the replies. Ill try and answer all i can. bit tired so excuse thats its not very tidy.

Cars say 32.8kwh/100km (which i think is 1.9m/kwh)and there is 568miles for this weeks driving. This is bad then RF3000 as thats 1.9mile per kw/h versus the expect 3.3 that your numbers would come out as....? Car has been set to eco individual for this trip with reduced fan and heated seat and no preconditioning.

Actual range is less than 20miles in real terms. Battery is charged at 20miles and then driving round town with a bit of heat and the stereo sees a 6 miles journey using up 8 miles leaving me with 12.

i understand about pre conditioning. havnt done that yet.

Yep i have seen that link thanks.

I use the car for work so town driving 2-3 days a week and traffic is not heavy in my town really, then 2 overnights around the UK for work. This first week with the car was this week and Tuesday to Thursday i did 568 miles (97 total in electric according to the data). Somerset to Manchester to Sheffield to Somerset so a mix of all driving.

Totally understand the sat nav route planning and smooth careful driving to achieve the best results but thats im not asking about that, its the lack of range for a full charge that im trying to understand.

jkwon so you have 21 miles indicated on your car.. (what is your maximum figure achieved over the time you have had the car)...ok thats the first figure ive heard from anyone so ta. Ill see if i can do 30 on Tuesday when i leave for Cambridge. Ill run solely on electric initially.

Just to clarify, i appreciate the comments, first time on a forum actually and its actually very useful but if i really am to expect only 20miles if im lucky around town at the weekend its not really worth the hassle of trying to charge other than overnight because its the same cost (1p or so cheaper/mile) as fuel basically which is a shame.

Again thanks for links and comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 01:30 AM   #346
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e 2019

Just did a 370km trip today. Battery started at ~50%. Over 90% on highway, speed 135km/h in the cruise control (except for the momentary speed up to overtake) 5 people in the car + luggage 6.5l/100km

Forgot to take picture and it already reset, sry

Also, BMW navigation RTTI here is preety useless (at least here), didn't catch up a traffic jam even the radio was warning me about 1h before I got there. Gotta love Waze on that
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:08 AM   #347
rf3000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I think we have a few on here 'panicking' when they see the predicted range.

Your figures including 25km @ 120 - 130km/h aren't bad at all.
I’m getting pretty good consumption at 130km/h, better than on those 10km of road where there is some heavy traffic, the key is not too have too many significant speed changes, and I’m driving most of the highway with cruise control set at 130km/h.

I don’t care at all about the predicted range. If my last trip was mostly at the city then I get a low figure. Today, after yesterday no city driving, I’m seeing a 55km range. But it will depend on my route!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:11 AM   #348
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I've never got more than about 30 - 31 miles from a single charge, ofcourse if I drive 20 miles on 30mpg roads where I live it's very stop start and I wouldn't get that far on battery alone, but when I get on the a-roads or motorway it runs much better econmy wise. Total electric drive on a longer journey, I got over 60 miles on a 130 mile drive the other day, so it regenerated another 30 miles of electric. Not bad. I use eco pro when not in full electric
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:16 AM   #349
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep

thanks Jkwon. I will have a go on Tuesday and see what i get and let you know. Looking at the watts per mile figure from car data of 568 miles (32kwh/100km = 1.9m/kw/h or 526watts per mile), thats not very good at all and i was in eco pro mode driving like a pansy with minimal electric on. Tesla suggest around 250watts per mile to hit their target mileage. I guess thats a tad wrong too but around 300 odd might be achievable.

Rf3000 said 20kwh/100km or 3.3m/kw/h or 303watts/mile is what other cars profess too including Tesla so it looks like my useage is pretty damn high.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:02 AM   #350
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf3000 View Post
I’m getting pretty good consumption at 130km/h, better than on those 10km of road where there is some heavy traffic, the key is not too have too many significant speed changes, and I’m driving most of the highway with cruise control set at 130km/h.

I don’t care at all about the predicted range. If my last trip was mostly at the city then I get a low figure. Today, after yesterday no city driving, I’m seeing a 55km range. But it will depend on my route!
55km is very good, (34 miles for us UK guys). I suggest many users are in heavy urban driving conditions, when we see the low predicted figures.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:17 AM   #351
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
thanks Jkwon. I will have a go on Tuesday and see what i get and let you know. Looking at the watts per mile figure from car data of 568 miles (32kwh/100km = 1.9m/kw/h or 526watts per mile), thats not very good at all and i was in eco pro mode driving like a pansy with minimal electric on. Tesla suggest around 250watts per mile to hit their target mileage. I guess thats a tad wrong too but around 300 odd might be achievable.

Rf3000 said 20kwh/100km or 3.3m/kw/h or 303watts/mile is what other cars profess too including Tesla so it looks like my useage is pretty damn high.
Your consumption is very high.

Are you set up to get maximum regeneration? Do you brake hard? To me, if you are in stop-start driving, you don't want to be using the brakes very much at all. Keep topping up the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #352
rf3000
Private
Rep

Quote:

32kwh/100km (or 526Wh/mi) is pretty high but if you are speeding up/braking constantly, starting from completely stopped, etc it does not seem that high. I see instant figures of 80-90kwh/100km when speeding up from low speeds. Regeneration sounds nice but it means you will speed up again, which is far more inefficient.

In any case, I would suggest to try at electric only (that’s why I always use, as I drive at above 110km/h so it’s the only way to drive electric for my commute).
Appreciate 0