Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Picked up my new 330e - Fuel consumption and electric range tested

01-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #353
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep
Drives: 330e, e36 compact drifter

Morning guys.

I did try the battery mode pete just to see what it did and how it affected the MPG. It took 2 miles off and was on for half an hour or so i think just the once.
I cover the UK as a Technical Rep so have to claim my mileage back so generally i drive economically to make sure i am in the black when i claim the miles, plus it keeps me entertained whilst driving. Had a 320d prior to this and regularly get 65mpg on the same trips sticking at 65mph on the motor.

I need some more data i think. Tuesday i will reset and drive on battery as far as i can and then go to eco pro individual mode and drive like Miss Daisy and see what i get. As i mentioned BMW are going to have it in next Friday so i can give them 2 weeks of data and find out why its only charging to 20 miles hopefully.

Ill chuck the numbers here just for shits and giggles. Apologies if this boring anyone. Its very useful for me so thanks again and feel free to bail out anytime.

Cheers and have a good weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #354
ricey7000
Rep
Drives: BMW I3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joselrl View Post
Just did a 370km trip today. Battery started at ~50%. Over 90% on highway, speed 135km/h in the cruise control (except for the momentary speed up to overtake) 5 people in the car + luggage 6.5l/100km

Forgot to take picture and it already reset, sry

Also, BMW navigation RTTI here is preety useless (at least here), didn't catch up a traffic jam even the radio was warning me about 1h before I got there. Gotta love Waze on that
Just curious how you and your passengers found the comfort with 5 in the car on a long trip, any complaints from the back seat?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #355
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I got 28 kms or 17 miles from a full charge today. Not great. But the car is a cracker to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #356
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I got 28 kms from a full charge today.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:49 AM   #357
Kyleran
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 530 XD f10

Hi guys! I plan to order my 330e next week and I have a question concerning the trips for which electric range is not enough:

Many times I read that entering the destination in the navigation is important... but except for road relief, is there any other benefit?

Every weekend I have a trip of 60km and I would like to use the maximum of the battery capacity in an optimized way. The trip is divided in 10km city, 30 highway, 20km country roads. I would like that the car manage itself the utilization of fuel/electricity and at the same time arrive with the minimum remaining electricity range in it. Is this option available or I have to perform this micromanagement by switching the various modes while I am driving?

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #358
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleran View Post
Hi guys! I plan to order my 330e next week and I have a question concerning the trips for which electric range is not enough:

Many times I read that entering the destination in the navigation is important... but except for road relief, is there any other benefit?

Every weekend I have a trip of 60km and I would like to use the maximum of the battery capacity in an optimized way. The trip is divided in 10km city, 30 highway, 20km country roads. I would like that the car manage itself the utilization of fuel/electricity and at the same time arrive with the minimum remaining electricity range in it. Is this option available or I have to perform this micromanagement by switching the various modes while I am driving?
Set the Navigation destination and put the 330e into "Hybrid Eco Pro" mode and it does just what you are asking. Is it 100% perfect? Maybe not, but it does very very well. I've tested this on trips between 50 and 250 km and it has always done very well.

The only exception is that Hybrid eco mode only works up to 110 km/h (at 110 km/h it always start combustion engine), so if you have to start the trip going faster than that there may be a situation you may want to start "Electric" mode to go up to 140 km/h on electric only mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #359
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e 2019

Quote:

Many thanks in advance!
There is a option in the car "proactive hybrid" (translation can be different) where the car uses the destination in the navigation to manage where to use and to save battery. It is on by default
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #360
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricey7000 View Post
Just curious how you and your passengers found the comfort with 5 in the car on a long trip, any complaints from the back seat?
Preety comfortable they said at the end. Most of the trip I saw them sleeping in the back (5pm-8pm ) and the road is preety nice
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #361
rf3000
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

That is exactly my problem with Hybrid/Hybrid Eco Pro. I do most of the journeys on highway at 120-130km so it simply keeps the ICE always on with little (if any) electric.

I have always switched to electric and I do the opposite: drive on electric until deplete completely the battery. Just if i would be driving at the end in a city I would change to hybrid or battery control to keep some electricity for city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
Set the Navigation destination and put the 330e into "Hybrid Eco Pro" mode and it does just what you are asking. Is it 100% perfect? Maybe not, but it does very very well. I've tested this on trips between 50 and 250 km and it has always done very well.

The only exception is that Hybrid eco mode only works up to 110 km/h (at 110 km/h it always start combustion engine), so if you have to start the trip going faster than that there may be a situation you may want to start "Electric" mode to go up to 140 km/h on electric only mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:26 AM   #362
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf3000 View Post
That is exactly my problem with Hybrid/Hybrid Eco Pro. I do most of the journeys on highway at 120-130km so it simply keeps the ICE always on with little (if any) electric.

I have always switched to electric and I do the opposite: drive on electric until deplete completely the battery. Just if i would be driving at the end in a city I would change to hybrid or battery control to keep some electricity for city driving.
Worded my post badly, I do pretty much the same thing when I have a shorter trip (< 100 km) at mostly over 110 km/h speeds. For longer trips it does not matter; the car will use extra power from electric motor/battery for climbing/acceleration (in Hybrid Eco Pro mode) so there are real savings in the fuel consumption even when petrol engine is running; I've done 200 km (one-way, 400 km total) trip with most over 110 km/h; with full battery at start I got 4.4 l/100 km and return trip with empty battery was about 7.5 l/100 km. Also, during winter the car will use excess heat from petrol engine for cabin heating so the battery does not get used for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #363
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:

Many thanks in advance!
Extremely unlikely you will do that trip with just battery.
City driving drains the battery quite fast.
Depending on the roads/traffic/outside temp/if you have the heating on/etc you might only get one trip but not return out of a full charge since the BMW figures are 60km and that's basically impossible to do unless you put the engine on a lab bench or you live somewhere where the temps are always between 15-25 degrees which is sweet spot for batteries.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #364
Kyleran
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep

Thank you for the replies!

I am aware that 60km is hardly possible to achieve in electric mode only. I was just wondering if there any way to say to the car: ok car, so we will travel 60km, please deplete totally your battery till the end of the trip and in the meantime use this energy the best way possible.

As you said, some type of roads are energy consuming... initially I was thinking to drive first in electric mode until total depletion and then switch to hybrid mode until the end of the trip, but it seems not optimal.

From what it was said I understood that the hybrid mode is deciding depending of the type of the road, what would be the most efficient utilization of fuel/electricity. So I probably should force the utilization of electricity in case that there is still electric remaining range before the end of the trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #365
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Adaptive mode might be better suited, along with setting your destination via GPS which basically uses either ICE or battery in an optimal way but again this doesn't know you want a return trip from a full charge so it will optimize it one trip at a time.
It's more of a learning thing, once it got colder I can't do my work commute on the battery alone but I have learned that a 3km stretch of battery charge mode is needed and that stretches the range just enough.
One tip that not many people seem to know is that if you are in battery charge mode, tip the gear stick to the left (or right depending on LHD/RHD) and that charges the battery quicker.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #366
KrisJ
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post
Do note that average speed was below 60 kph. Around 100-110 on a flat road 20-21 KWh is more typical in my experience...
And that is the issue and a lot of the disappointment in EV mileage. The official tests, like the WLTP rating and published figures, are not reflecting how most are going to drive.
These are figures from yesterday, not that I charged from 25 to nearly full twice. I drove hybrid and when I saw the home stretch came in full EV range, I went to full electric. If I do not exceed 110kph, the car does 20 or so kWh/100km

All in all the car is more frugal than even a small 3 cyl Diesel but you absolutely have to charge every chance you get...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #367
KrisJ
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Adaptive mode might be better suited, along with setting your destination via GPS which basically uses either ICE or battery in an optimal way but again this doesn't know you want a return trip from a full charge so it will optimize it one trip at a time.
It's more of a learning thing, once it got colder I can't do my work commute on the battery alone but I have learned that a 3km stretch of battery charge mode is needed and that stretches the range just enough.
One tip that not many people seem to know is that if you are in battery charge mode, tip the gear stick to the left (or right depending on LHD/RHD) and that charges the battery quicker.
Using the ICE to charge the battery almost never makes sense, unless you want to save battery to drive in a low emission zone where no ICE would be allowed.

Charging the battery like this causes massive fuel consumption and there are significant losses in converting fuel to electric power (heat losses in the engine and generator.

If you need to reach a place outside of EV range, drive hybrid or even sport (not XBOOST) and be gentle on the pedal. The engine will likely stay well under 7l/100km. When you get to within the EV range, go full electric.

Then charge at the destination and do the same thing in reverse

Doing so will make the care crazy efficient, even doing 110 to 120 kph on highways.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #368
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep

380km trip. Full car (5 people + luggage) 6.3l/100km 135kph on the Cruise Control.
Battery started 75% ended at 25% (before some ev city driving at the end destination)

As someone said, the battery/eletric motor helps even when the ICE is on, the "eboost" indicator does go up, usually under 20%, but I've seen it go as up as 80% of I accelerate on climbs.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:27 AM   #369
Kyleran
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post
If you need to reach a place outside of EV range, drive hybrid or even sport (not XBOOST) and be gentle on the pedal. The engine will likely stay well under 7l/100km. When you get to within the EV range, go full electric..
OMG! Of course that is a clever solution of my question. Once the remaining electric range is matching the remaining kilometers to drive from the navi, I can go full electric... I don’t know why I didn’t think about it... #feelstupid 😂😂😂

Thank you very much Kris!
Appreciate 1
KrisJ15.00
      01-20-2020, 05:09 AM   #370
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

First long distance journey today. Stirling to Leeds via M74, A66, M1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #371
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep

Crikey. Thats a lot of messages ive missed. Thought i would get notificiations. I will post my trip value later in the week but to all the new people on my thread, can you tell me what you battery charges to please. I have had my car a week and it only charges to 20-21miles at 100% ie plugged in at home thats the maximum range. That was the whole point of this thread and the car is going into BMW on Friday to be looked at. Id like to know how all yours are performing if possible please. cheers in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #372
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftymcDriftFace View Post
Crikey. Thats a lot of messages ive missed. Thought i would get notificiations. I will post my trip value later in the week but to all the new people on my thread, can you tell me what you battery charges to please. I have had my car a week and it only charges to 20-21miles at 100% ie plugged in at home thats the maximum range. That was the whole point of this thread and the car is going into BMW on Friday to be looked at. Id like to know how all yours are performing if possible please. cheers in advance.
There is no consistent "my car charges to X" value. Mine charges to anything between 29 and 39 kilometers, this is just a prediction/quess based on temp and how I have been driving lately. If I take my car out when it is predicting to be able to go 29 km I can be sure I can get nearly 40 km if I drive on flat terrain and constant 80-90 km/h speed despite winter conditions. Specially if I climatize while plugged in.

The prediction is just a guess and usually a conservative one. Today I was in a store 21 km from home and I happened to have exact same 21 km electric range left according to my car. When I got home I still had 6 km/20 % left.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #373
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep

thanks. is the 29-39 dependant on outside temp or just random? mine consistently 20 or 21 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:57 PM   #374
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftymcDriftFace View Post
thanks. is the 29-39 dependant on outside temp or just random? mine consistently 20 or 21 miles.
I have a similar experience, I had my car report from 30 to 50km range from full. From my experience it depends on previous trips efficiency, outside temperature, AC setting, etc
Appreciate 0