BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New record

01-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

New record

Did a bit of experimenting with Electric mode today and surprisingly got from home to Reading services which is around 36 miles and I still had 4 miles range left. At times I must have done 3 miles without it dropping the remaining range. Just doing my usual inside lane bumbling along at 60MPH.

Anyway, put it on charge at my hotel tonight and got this... probably a total lie but highest I've ever seen by 3-4 miles. Maybe it's predicting that Summer is coming... :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

I’ve been driving in elec only today as I knew I could re charge before running out of battery. Noticeably holding its charge much better than of late on regular journeys I make. Didn’t go up to much more than 21 miles though when plugged it back in...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:20 AM   #3
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Haven’t tried electric only mode yet as my commute is too long for that but car consistently showing 30 mile range on the app after charge (3 days in a row) - but as soon as I start preconditioning it immediately drops to 23/22.

Currently using a granny plug - maybe the precondition draws more power than it can charge. Will try without.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:49 AM   #4
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
Haven’t tried electric only mode yet as my commute is too long for that but car consistently showing 30 mile range on the app after charge (3 days in a row) - but as soon as I start preconditioning it immediately drops to 23/22.

Currently using a granny plug - maybe the precondition draws more power than it can charge. Will try without.
What do you have the current limit set to? It comes set to 6a out the factory, which isn't enough to do the precondition. 10a (max on the included charger) should be, but you need to be confident your wiring can manage it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebk View Post
What do you have the current limit set to? It comes set to 6a out the factory, which isn't enough to do the precondition. 10a (max on the included charger) should be, but you need to be confident your wiring can manage it.
I haven’t changed it. Straight out the factory settings. I’m not confident around wiring / plugs so reluctant to try just in case.

It’s a professionally installed outside plug point though with weatherproofing etc - and on current 6a setting, plug isn’t getting hot or anything. Barely even warm really.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:36 AM   #6
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

So I’ve upped mine to 10amp for home charging. House is a shambles from top to bottom in terms of electrics and plumbing (short term convenience rental)... worse case was it’d blow the electrics in a house we’re not fussed for, I’d play dumb and the landlord would sort it... nothing has happened.

It charges fine without any issues. I charge it most weekends two or three times and occasionally during the week if I’ve driven far enough between charges at work (official free to use Pod-Points at work).
I fully expected issues or it at least to trip the fuse box or something - nothing has happened at all. Appreciate this sounds a little risky but am confident where any wiring concerned is remote enough in a cold, stone cellar (lead to car is run through an air brick I removed and re-cemented around the cable to outside) and there is only so much that can happen! Charges a lot faster on 10amp than 6, was hardly worth bothering on 6!

One young electrician with all the recent training and qualifications doing some lighting work for me suggested that and another older more experienced one has seen it since and didn’t even raise an eyebrow... his dismissal of it being an issue was enough for me!

Don’t get me wrong, if I owned this house I’d have had a PodPoint put in as soon as I got the car, but we don’t intend staying long and it wasn’t worth the investment...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:07 AM   #7
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
So I’ve upped mine to 10amp for home charging. House is a shambles from top to bottom in terms of electrics and plumbing (short term convenience rental)... worse case was it’d blow the electrics in a house we’re not fussed for, I’d play dumb and the landlord would sort it... nothing has happened.

It charges fine without any issues. I charge it most weekends two or three times and occasionally during the week if I’ve driven far enough between charges at work (official free to use Pod-Points at work).
I fully expected issues or it at least to trip the fuse box or something - nothing has happened at all. Appreciate this sounds a little risky but am confident where any wiring concerned is remote enough in a cold, stone cellar (lead to car is run through an air brick I removed and re-cemented around the cable to outside) and there is only so much that can happen! Charges a lot faster on 10amp than 6, was hardly worth bothering on 6!

One young electrician with all the recent training and qualifications doing some lighting work for me suggested that and another older more experienced one has seen it since and didn’t even raise an eyebrow... his dismissal of it being an issue was enough for me!

Don’t get me wrong, if I owned this house I’d have had a PodPoint put in as soon as I got the car, but we don’t intend staying long and it wasn’t worth the investment...
That’s interesting - thanks! Might give it a try - what’s the difference in charge times between 6a and 10a?

Might up it incrementally to 8 first if that’s possible to check how it fares on that load.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
Jebk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post

Not to be that guy, but worst case is underspecced wires over heat, start a fire and burn down the house killing you and your family.

I'd agree you're probably fine but equally I'd not chance it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebk View Post
Not to be that guy, but worst case is underspecced wires over heat, start a fire and burn down the house killing you and your family.

I'd agree you're probably fine but equally I'd not chance it.
I've just had a go and upped the draw to 10amp from the 3 pin plug. Is showing a 0-100% charge estimate of around 4/5hrs, which is much better!

And after 90 mins plugged in, it's still nice and cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

New record for me too, first time I've used the electric mode properly, provides greater economy than running in hybrid for these length of journeys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
New record for me too, first time I've used the electric mode properly, provides greater economy than running in hybrid for these length of journeys
So for a 30 mile journey you’d recommend electric drive as opposed to Hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #12
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
So for a 30 mile journey you’d recommend electric drive as opposed to Hybrid?
Yeah that's interesting because when I first got the car the range on Electric mode seemed worst than Eco Pro but my experience the other day would indicate it's not. I'm going to continue to experiment and see if I can get some consistent results.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Preconditioning is quite demanding. The electric auxiliary heater can draw 5.5kW +/- 10%.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Preconditioning is quite demanding. The electric auxiliary heater can draw 5.5kW +/- 10%.
So it seems!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #15
BoysADear
Rep
Drives: 330e (G20)

Quote:
The question is, is pre conditioning more efficient than starting your journey cold? I'm guessing that because the engine (ICE) isn't running the auxiliary heater needs to kick in?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #16
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoysADear View Post
The question is, is pre conditioning more efficient than starting your journey cold? I'm guessing that because the engine (ICE) isn't running the auxiliary heater needs to kick in?
I guess it’s more efficient to warm the cabin up under plugged in conditions than it is on the road when you first get moving.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Unless you are intending to run the ICE from drive off and wait for some warmth to come through, you have to use the battery to get heat.

Should be far more efficient to preheat the cabin while still plugged in, preferably on the maximum charging rate.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #18
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Unless you are intending to run the ICE from drive off and wait for some warmth to come through, you have to use the battery to get heat.

Should be far more efficient to preheat the cabin while still plugged in, preferably on the maximum charging rate.
From the Portal

“ You can configure up to two departure times. By selecting "Precondition for departure time", you can precondition your vehicle ahead of the departure times. Once the departure times have been activated, they remain active for all week days, unless you do not move your vehicle for three consecutive departure times. If your vehicle is connected to the charging cable in the period leading up a configured time, the high-voltage battery will also be preconditioned. Full performance and full range will then be available to you.”

So the battery is also pre conditioned for optimum efficiency
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #19
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah you can enable preconditioning even if it's not connected to a charge source, providing the battery has enough charge. However, just watch how much charge you've lost when you get in... I've seen 20-25%!?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Yeah you can enable preconditioning even if it's not connected to a charge source, providing the battery has enough charge. However, just watch how much charge you've lost when you get in... I've seen 20-25%!?
And it's not just the initial 'warm up', keeping a cabin warm at colder temperatures is also very demanding.

I've just driven home this evening in my touring at -3°C, the heater was having to put out a lot of heat to keep the cabin at 20°C. Was thinking as I was driving, what if this was a PHEV, how much would it cost in mileage using the battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #21
BoysADear
Rep
Drives: 330e (G20)

Definitely agree that the auxiliary heater eats battery. I've just managed 36 miles in electric mode with the heating turned off. I've never managed anything above 30 with the heating turned on
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #22
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Definitely agree that the auxiliary heater eats battery. I've just managed 36 miles in electric mode with the heating turned off. I've never managed anything above 30 with the heating turned on
Yeah, you can see the difference, when I switch off heating then it can add 2-3 miles of range instantly...
Appreciate 0