Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New M models lost their way ?

01-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

New M models lost their way ?

Well if you read EVO magazine which most would regard as a real enthusiasts mag these new M products are not the Ultimate Driving Machine

X3M. 2 stars
M340i only 3 stars

Incredible really

This could hurt sales. It's a lot of money to spend on a 2 or 3 star car
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d, Porsche Boxster

Both are M lite, rather than proper M, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:31 AM   #3
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
Well if you read EVO magazine which most would regard as a real enthusiasts mag these new M products are not the Ultimate Driving Machine

X3M. 2 stars
M340i only 3 stars

Incredible really

This could hurt sales. It's a lot of money to spend on a 2 or 3 star car
I haven't read EVO for years but they had little thought for real world everyday motoring, more focussed on what would impress your mates in McDonald's car park on Saturday night.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:29 AM   #4
larven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

My thoughts exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:32 AM   #5
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Irrespective of how good the G80 M3 would be, the X3 M and M340i are definitely better than 2 or 3 stars...

What metrics did they give as cons to justify those ratings?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:57 AM   #6
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Irrespective of how good the G80 M3 would be, the X3 M and M340i are definitely better than 2 or 3 stars...

What metrics did they give as cons to justify those ratings?
  • How many times you say 'like' in each sentence
    How many tattoos you have
    How many gold chains you wear

Alllegedly.....
Appreciate 1
B6WAF77.50
      01-21-2020, 05:00 AM   #7
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
How many times you say 'like' in each sentence
How many tattoos you have
How many gold chains you wear

Alllegedly.....
Then they were generous, should be 0 and 1 star
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #8
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
I haven't read EVO for years but they had little thought for real world everyday motoring, more focussed on what would impress your mates in McDonald's car park on Saturday night.
I would tend to disagree on the 340i & I haven't driven the X3 to comment but the general consensus is that the X3 is just to stiff for our roads.

Would disagree entirely with your thought on EVO, I've always seen it as a true performance car magazine rather than the Max Power you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I posted pictures of the article in the 340i touring thread.
General view is that it was a bit harsh however as Evos mantra is thrill of driving it might not be the most thrilling to drive.
In my brief test drive it drove as expected and I didn't go into it thinking it's a cut price m3.

M lites like the m340 are half ways which can be capable of daily family duties comfortably and also ability to have a blast when road permits!

They did say it was very fast in a straight line though and off the line it was 996 turbo pace to 60!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
I would tend to disagree on the 340i & I haven't driven the X3 to comment but the general consensus is that the X3 is just to stiff for our roads.

Would disagree entirely with your thought on EVO, I've always seen it as a true performance car magazine rather than the Max Power you suggest.

I agree.

Harry Metcalfe knew his stuff and it was and still is a great mag that seems to give all brands a fair shot without the usual bias.

I still think Harry's Garage is one of the best youtube channels there is when it comes to cars.

I haven't read the review, however, remember that EVO are a magazine that reviews cars from the basis of "Is it a car that will get you up off the sofa at 10pm at night and go for a 2 hour drive just for the sake of it?"

Let's face it, each generation of cars seems to be getting more and more focused towards comfort, compliance and effortless and making it more and more relaxing, combine that with the need to get emissions down so we have electric steering etc. and modern cars are not offering the same driving experience that they were offering only a decade ago.

I think the M340i is a great car, however, it is great for what it is offering, I would love one, and may well end up with one, but it will replace the F11 520d as the mile muncher rather than replace the E91 330i, which is a practical car which still offers a smidge of entertainment.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I agree.

Harry Metcalfe knew his stuff and it was and still is a great mag that seems to give all brands a fair shot without the usual bias.

I still think Harry's Garage is one of the best youtube channels there is when it comes to cars.

I haven't read the review, however, remember that EVO are a magazine that reviews cars from the basis of "Is it a car that will get you up off the sofa at 10pm at night and go for a 2 hour drive just for the sake of it?"

Let's face it, each generation of cars seems to be getting more and more focused towards comfort, compliance and effortless and making it more and more relaxing, combine that with the need to get emissions down so we have electric steering etc. and modern cars are not offering the same driving experience that they were offering only a decade ago.

I think the M340i is a great car, however, it is great for what it is offering, I would love one, and may well end up with one, but it will replace the F11 520d as the mile muncher rather than replace the E91 330i, which is a practical car which still offers a smidge of entertainment.
Exactly this! Added to the fact NA engines are now a thing of the past with BMW and BMW M products

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #12
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I agree.

This!
HM definitely knows his stuff & I'm always watching Harry's garage, which reminds me I've still to watch the Lotus trip vid.
Appreciate 0