Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW building cars without touch screens!!

11-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #155
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

There's no chips per say in the touch screen, but there is a digitiser, and they are probably what's in short supply
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #156
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
There's no chips per say in the touch screen, but there is a digitiser, and they are probably what's in short supply
Incorrect. Here's an example of a capacitive touch panel circuit. The loss of touchscreen in BMW's is very likely tied to semiconductor issues, such as the signal processor to sense touch. There's also other less complicated glue logic involved. Since it's widely known that some of the lower cost semiconductors are suffering the worst backlog, it could be anything in the touch panel circuit.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...=rep1&type=pdf
      11-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #157
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Incorrect. Here's an example of a capacitive touch panel circuit. The loss of touchscreen in BMW's is very likely tied to semiconductor issues, such as the signal processor to sense touch. There's also other less complicated glue logic involved. Since it's widely known that some of the lower cost semiconductors are suffering the worst backlog, it could be anything in the touch panel circuit.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...1&type=pdf
The post just reinforces my point that there's no chip directly on the screen surface, but there are bits that process that signal
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:07 PM   #158
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The post just reinforces my point that there's no chip directly on the screen surface, but there are bits that process that signal
Of course there's no chip on the screen surface. But to make the touch layer work it needs electronics.

Or since you're from the UK, maybe you're referring to French fries?
      11-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #159
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course there's no chip on the screen surface. But to make the touch layer work it needs electronics.

Or since you're from the UK, maybe you're referring to French fries?
That's Americans mate. You put Chips on a barm with gravy
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #160
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Quote:
That's Americans mate. You put Chips on a barm with gravy
You're just wrong mate and so is chips and barm with gravy
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 04:03 AM   #161
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M sport 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Once you get the hang of it and know where you're hand is supposed to be then for me it works, certainly better than trying to hit an icon on the screen.

There was someone a while back on here who just couldn't get it to work correctly which turned out to be a fault with a sensor or something and was fine when it was fixed.

And for one, I don't even know how to pause the music/mute the sound whether by touch screen or controller, I just make the peace sign to the screen and it works every time. Also have my home destination as one of the gestures and again, works every time.
Well..., thanks Keith, I can now switch tracks and control volume with ease with hand gesture. Still think their are easier controllers in the car with that said but it now works, embarrassingly I only needed to wipe the sensor with a cloth, it didn't work right a few years ago from new so I turned it off, can only assume an update has improved its functioning and a bit dust was causing my issues now on the camera, now prefer this isn't deleted too

Last edited by gashead76; 11-21-2021 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
Keith_C179.00