Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW building cars without touch screens!!

11-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #45
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M sport 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
So is yours already in production?
Just wondering how the dealer is able to ensure or confirm it’s not affected by the touchscreen loss unless it’s already built as the suggestion is it started in week 43?
Not sure he can confirm 100% with the current situation just regurgitating what I have been told and he did say he is sure it isn't being deleted, I take it all with a pinch of salt, can only hope he does know better and it isn't deleted or we will need to have a discussion as I personally do use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #46
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashead76 View Post
Not sure he can confirm 100% with the current situation just regurgitating what I have been told and he did say he is sure it isn't being deleted, I take it all with a pinch of salt, can only hope he does know better and it isn't deleted or we will need to have a discussion as I personally do use it.
We’re all living in hope.
That’s the frustrating part about it that even the dealers don’t seem to really know or they are telling us what they think we want to hear until the last minute.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #47
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
We’re all living in hope.
That’s the frustrating part about it that even the dealers don’t seem to really know or they are telling us what they think we want to hear until the last minute.
True... my order has been pushed back twice, should of been collecting this week originaly, strange how some on here have had a fairly smooth ride and others are having an absolute mare. I actually believe he/dealer believes it's not changing anyway... not sure if touchscreen deletion also removes reverse assist, read somewhere it does.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #48
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately it will happen and there isn't anything your dealer will be able to do about it. I'd also doubt a retrofit is possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #49
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
Unfortunately it will happen and there isn't anything your dealer will be able to do about it. I'd also doubt a retrofit is possible.
Unsure anyone with any certainty can be sure from personal experience, my order went from having hand gesture to then hand gesture being removed to then being reinstated on my latest pencilled/confirmed build week. "If" it's not as simple as replacing a screen with the touchscreen I will need to consider my options.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #50
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Quote:
What are you basing any of this on? We don't seem to have a lot of facts at the moment.

My dealer's also explained he's not aware of any of their cars being affected by the spec change as yet. Including mine.

I also don't think BMW would be able to get away with removing the feature without disclosure to the customer before delivery. Otherwise they're not delivering to the spec.

My guess is this is a spec change that only affects certain models of the g20/g21 range, in a similar manner to HUD etc with M Sport models are below. Or atleast, here's hoping! One of the features I was always pleasantly surprised with on the BMW infotainment was the fact it had both a physical controller and touch interface. So I'll be annoyed if it is removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #51
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpazz View Post
What are you basing any of this on? We don't seem to have a lot of facts at the moment.

My dealer's also explained he's not aware of any of their cars being affected by the spec change as yet. Including mine.

I also don't think BMW would be able to get away with removing the feature without disclosure to the customer before delivery. Otherwise they're not delivering to the spec.

My guess is this is a spec change that only affects certain models of the g20/g21 range, in a similar manner to HUD etc with M Sport models are below. Or atleast, here's hoping! One of the features I was always pleasantly surprised with on the BMW infotainment was the fact it had both a physical controller and touch interface. So I'll be annoyed if it is removed.
My dealer did say numerous orders were affected but my order wasn't and is what I think lesser models are being affected in the range.. hopefully as its something that I will want.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:10 AM   #52
d 246
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

My order was built in Wk 43 and is now in the country. I'll find out soon re the touch screen....
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:16 AM   #53
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by d 246 View Post
My order was built in Wk 43 and is now in the country. I'll find out soon re the touch screen....
Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:12 AM   #54
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpazz View Post

Information from my dealer. He advised that a dealer wide communication was received on Tuesday I believe so my guess is that dealers will be communicating it. The only confusing bit is he explained that they aren't amending orders with it as a block exercise but the spec will be amended when the vehicle goes into or during the build. Advised all vehicles post week 43 affected. Mine is due for build week 46 and its an m340i and will have it removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:42 AM   #55
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

People sitting in M340i's that you can't buy anymore, with HK, wireless charging and touchscreens right now...
Attached Images

11-11-2021, 03:54 AM   #56
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Information from my dealer. He advised that a dealer wide communication was received on Tuesday I believe so my guess is that dealers will be communicating it. The only confusing bit is he explained that they aren't amending orders with it as a block exercise but the spec will be amended when the vehicle goes into or during the build. Advised all vehicles post week 43 affected. Mine is due for build week 46 and its an m340i and will have it removed.
Thanks, sent this to my dealer, rather be informed now
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 04:31 AM   #57
k755
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e e89 3.0 Z4

Was in Bowker BMW had 2 new Suvs, a cancelled order M4 and 2 3 series in the show room ,rest where second hand. Salesperson told me they would not be selling any new cars till March. Enquired about a 330e to replace mine and was told possible April delivery if ordered now and would not have Touch screen or reverse assistant!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:37 AM   #58
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Of course the iXs, i4s and LCIs will be touch screen because they moved all the A/C buttons to the screen.... a bad move in my opinion but locks in touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #59
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k755 View Post
Was in Bowker BMW had 2 new Suvs, a cancelled order M4 and 2 3 series in the show room ,rest where second hand. Salesperson told me they would not be selling any new cars till March. Enquired about a 330e to replace mine and was told possible April delivery if ordered now and would not have Touch screen or reverse assistant!
Got one for sale at Bowker Blackburn unless it is not what you want
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #60
d 246
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

Will the dealers be offering a discount if your order turns up without the touchscreen?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #61
jdc0907
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i (on order)

Quote:
Will the dealers be offering a discount if your order turns up without the touchscreen?
Quote:
Apparently it's a £500 credit, although I would want them to fit a touchscreen at the first possible opportunity
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #62
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
Apparently it's a £500 credit, although I would want them to fit a touchscreen at the first possible opportunity
Read somewhere else that it is a £370 credit which would also equate to the $500 credit.
Also read retrofit won’t be a option.

If it is such a little issue they can swop over the one from my part exchange…. ha ha no chance they will do that
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #63
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
Been playing with just my knob today

I will seriously have to consider my options as its just not as intuitive as using all the controls at my disposal in my current... lesser model of car, waiting on my dealer for a difinitive answer but suspect it has been removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 01:47 PM   #64
Makefish
Ex Moddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
I was at my dealer today and saw this announcement first hand, it confirms everything you say but additionally other models are affected:

3 Series G20/G21
4 Series Coupe G22
4 Series Grand Coupe G24
4 Series Convertible G23
Z4 G29

Touch Screen deletion affects these models from build week 43 onwards so anything manufactured after w/c 25th October (we will see if this is true or not with those of you picking up new vehicles in the coming few weeks).

As has been said previously, £500 +VAT will be deducted from the total order value but those of you hoping for a retrofit later will be dissapointed, this will not be possible.

It was also intimated that models further up the range may also be affected in the new year and to expect further disruption to production throughout 2022.
X5 45e in Arctic Grey with Merino Leather, Technology Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack, Shadow Line Pack, Sky Lounge, Acoustic Glass, Tow Bar, Sun Protection Glass, Sky Lounge, Carbon Mirror Caps and Laser Lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #65
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefish View Post
I was at my dealer today and saw this announcement first hand, it confirms everything you say but additionally other models are affected:

3 Series G20/G21
4 Series Coupe G22
4 Series Grand Coupe G24
4 Series Convertible G23
Z4 G29

Touch Screen deletion affects these models from build week 43 onwards so anything manufactured after w/c 25th October (we will see if this is true or not with those of you picking up new vehicles in the coming few weeks).

As has been said previously, £500 +VAT will be deducted from the total order value but those of you hoping for a retrofit later will be dissapointed, this will not be possible.

It was also intimated that models further up the range may also be affected in the new year and to expect further disruption to production throughout 2022.
It's £500 Inc VAT I believe
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #66
Makefish
Ex Moddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
It's £500 Inc VAT I believe
I stand corrected, you are right
X5 45e in Arctic Grey with Merino Leather, Technology Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack, Shadow Line Pack, Sky Lounge, Acoustic Glass, Tow Bar, Sun Protection Glass, Sky Lounge, Carbon Mirror Caps and Laser Lights.
Appreciate 0