Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW building cars without touch screens!!

11-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #67
Wally000000000
Rep
Drives: M340i touring (ordered)

Hello, new member here. My m340i touring is in production now and should be delivered 1st week of December (ordered in august). Had the call this afternoon letting me know that touchscreen has been removed from my build, not happy. To make things worse, just realised that 2021 builds don’t have the advanced hifi now, just base system! Didn’t order the Harmon kardon either! Not sure if I should cancel order or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #68
Makefish
Ex Moddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally000000000 View Post
Had the call this afternoon letting me know that touchscreen has been removed from my build, not happy. To make things worse, just realised that 2021 builds don’t have the advanced hifi now, just base system! Didn’t order the Harmon kardon either! Not sure if I should cancel order or not.
Neither of those things should distract you from what the M340i is really all about.... the engine and driving dynamics will keep you more than entertained
X5 45e in Arctic Grey with Merino Leather, Technology Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack, Shadow Line Pack, Sky Lounge, Acoustic Glass, Tow Bar, Sun Protection Glass, Sky Lounge, Carbon Mirror Caps and Laser Lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #69
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M sport 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefish View Post
Neither of those things should distract you from what the M340i is really all about.... the engine and driving dynamics will keep you more than entertained
It's why I am upgrading my car for that engine, still feel though touchscreen for me personally is an integral part of the infotainment especially when using andriod auto... hopefully have some news soon from the dealer and then I need to think about it, 50/50 if I will be cancelling my order if it has gone as suspected
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #70
jdc0907
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashead76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefish View Post
It's why I am upgrading my car for that engine, still feel though touchscreen for me personally is an integral part of the infotainment especially when using andriod auto... hopefully have some news soon from the dealer and then I need to think about it, 50/50 if I will be cancelling my order if it has gone as suspected
I am torn too whether to cancel my order. For me this was a once in a lifetime order from factory specced exactly how I wanted it. To have something as basic as a touchscreen deleted from the order is just bizarre. I haven't had a car without touchscreen functionality for 5 years. Surely they could have removed something else instead - I wouldn't be bothered about rear climate control or the drive recorder. If I find that HK has been removed from my order too I think I will cancel. Might be tempted by an m240i instead (although I expect that will also be affected by the chip shortage soon)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #71
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
I am torn too whether to cancel my order. For me this was a once in a lifetime order from factory specced exactly how I wanted it. To have something as basic as a touchscreen deleted from the order is just bizarre. I haven't had a car without touchscreen functionality for 5 years. Surely they could have removed something else instead - I wouldn't be bothered about rear climate control or the drive recorder. If I find that HK has been removed from my order too I think I will cancel. Might be tempted by an m240i instead (although I expect that will also be affected by the chip shortage soon)
Apparently I have HK and I haven't even questioned it on my order, probably remove the back doors at this rate....think if it all does come true I am better of waiting for the LCI and see if it still comes with a steering wheel. Hopefully settled down or look into the approved used market.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 01:13 AM   #72
Wally000000000
Rep
Drives: M340i touring (ordered)

I know the car is all about the b58 and it’s dynamics, just grates that a +£50k is missing basic things.
Got advised not to order HK as it probably wouldn’t make it to the build, and maybe delay it. I’ve got until pick up day to cancel, so a bit of time to think. Other option is to go down the approved used route, but that will be more expensive than buying new. I will ask my dealer for a full spec sheet, to see if they have removed anything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 01:41 AM   #73
jdc0907
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally000000000 View Post
I know the car is all about the b58 and it's dynamics, just grates that a +£50k is missing basic things.
Got advised not to order HK as it probably wouldn't make it to the build, and maybe delay it. I've got until pick up day to cancel, so a bit of time to think. Other option is to go down the approved used route, but that will be more expensive than buying new. I will ask my dealer for a full spec sheet, to see if they have removed anything else.
What I'll probably end up doing is keeping whatever turns up (I need to get rid of my current car before March) but if not ideal spec once the chip shortage has settled down see what the dealer can offer re reordering an LCI in a year or two
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:14 AM   #74
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc0907 View Post
What I'll probably end up doing is keeping whatever turns up (I need to get rid of my current car before March) but if not ideal spec once the chip shortage has settled down see what the dealer can offer re reordering an LCI in a year or two
Still baffled, why the touchscreen, apparently I have wave your hand like you don't care back that has a mind of its own in my current motor, if HK and touchscreen has gone I will almost certainly pull my order, both are very much used and liked. That's after accepting no passenger lumber support, cubbyhole, digital key and wireless charging, need to draw a line somewhere.

Last edited by gashead76; 11-12-2021 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 03:39 AM   #75
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

No idea how the semi conductor business works. I'd certainly get rid of gesture control before touchscreen, but guess it's probably not so simple as that.

I do wonder about residual values with all these deletions. If the 2020 models are going to have the toys, when 2021 one's are deleted, then I'd have thought that they would be more in demand. And if LCi have the toys as well then that might add another downward pressure on demand for affected cars. Maybe not such an issue if you rent one and hand back at full term, but any cash buyer or PCP/HP might be adversely affected and the £500 credit towards other options isn'r really going to cover it.
      11-12-2021, 04:32 AM   #76
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
No idea how the semi conductor business works. I'd certainly get rid of gesture control before touchscreen, but guess it's probably not so simple as that.

I do wonder about residual values with all these deletions. If the 2020 models are going to have the toys, when 2021 one's are deleted, then I'd have thought that they would be more in demand. And if LCi have the toys as well then that might add another downward pressure on demand for affected cars. Maybe not such an issue if you rent one and hand back at full term, but any cash buyer or PCP/HP might be adversely affected and the £500 credit towards other options isn'r really going to cover it.
Agree, sure bmw have a very valid reason for reverse assist and touchscreen deletion.

I also am concerned what affect down the road this will cause, if I was in the second hand market I would personally take a car a few months older for the touchscreen and reverse assist, touchscreen is so blatantly obvious if it is removed too, to anyone who knows, everything else except the cubbyhole would probably go under the radar. Decisions
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 04:33 AM   #77
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340D touring Oxide grey

Just confirming what some others have said ref touchscreen. My dealer has stated he has seen the bulletins from BMW and it looks like orders after build week 43 will not have touchscreen.
No word of whether customers will get some kind of monetary credit as a result.
He is checking about the cubbyhole as some others have mentioned this as being removed from cars they have had delivered and it no longer shows as part of the comfort comfort plus packs
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 04:40 AM   #78
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Have realised I do use the touchscreen a fair bit, especially when using android auto, not having HK is definitely noticeable, sound is much harsher, wireless charging just super heated my phone so not that bothered

But, BMW are meant to be a premium car manufacturer, and everything that you remove, regardless of the quality of the engine and the chassis just puts the price more into focus!

The one thing that annoyed me more than anything with the G20 is that electric seats aren't standard, on a £45k car I have always thought that was taking the piss!!
      11-12-2021, 04:45 AM   #79
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksandygill View Post
Have realised I do use the touchscreen a fair bit, especially when using android auto, not having HK is definitely noticeable, sound is much harsher, wireless charging just super heated my phone so not that bothered

But, BMW are meant to be a premium car manufacturer, and everything that you remove, regardless of the quality of the engine and the chassis just puts the price more into focus!

The one thing that annoyed me more than anything with the G20 is that electric seats aren't standard, on a £45k car I have always thought that was taking the piss!!
Agree completely about the electric seats not being standard.as a token gesture they could have had this on drivers seat only at a push

Agree also that with every deletion customers will be more inclined to look at value for money against specs available.

Be drivers window wiper only at this rate.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 04:58 AM   #80
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Tried using just the idrive knob and isn't as intuitive in android auto, HK is certainly a deal breaker for me, my dealer maintains though that he has orders that have been affected but my order is not, taking that with a pinch of salt even though I believe he believes it's the case, I have ordered every package and just hoping this possibly means I need, gesture, touchscreen, clutching at straws I know

Last edited by gashead76; 11-12-2021 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:05 AM   #81
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Tried using just the idrive knob and isn't as intuitive, HK is certainly a deal breaker for me, my dealer maintains though that he has orders that have been affected but my order is not, taking that with a pinch of salt even though I believe he believes it's the case, I have ordered every package and just hoping this possibly means I need, gesture, touchscreen, clutching at straws I know
I think some of the irritation customers are feeling is also because BMW are not communicating information effectively. This forum has been helpful to many in getting information out there that we can then check with our dealers, but really we should all be being kept in the loop first.Give me the information regardless of whether it’s good or bad and as an adult, let me decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:14 AM   #82
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post
I think some of the irritation customers are feeling is also because BMW are not communicating information effectively. This forum has been helpful to many in getting information out there that we can then check with our dealers, but really we should all be being kept in the loop first.Give me the information regardless of whether it’s good or bad and as an adult, let me decide.
Couldn't agree more, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't be any the wiser and that possibly is their tactic, who knows but is certainly frustrating, ordered in June, excepted deletions and further delays to then potentially find out because of those delays I am having more deletions, frustrating it certainly is
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:23 AM   #83
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Tried using just the idrive knob and isn't as intuitive in android auto, HK is certainly a deal breaker for me, my dealer maintains though that he has orders that have been affected but my order is not, taking that with a pinch of salt even though I believe he believes it's the case, I have ordered every package and just hoping this possibly means I need, gesture, touchscreen, clutching at straws I know
HK is (still) unaffected on M340i/d orders that have it as part of the tech pack. It is removed if its a standalone option and not available at all on the other engines. That's what I was told when I placed my order. Apparently you also still get enhanced bluetooth under the same conditions.
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:24 AM   #84
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't agree more, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't be any the wiser and that possibly is their tactic, who knows but is certainly frustrating, ordered in June, excepted deletions and further delays to then potentially find out because of those delays I am having more deletions, frustrating it certainly is
They could at least offer a free service or 2 or credit towards BMW accessories as a gesture of thanks to customers sticking with them despite the difficulties or deletions.

Going to get worse moving forward I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:30 AM   #85
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

When I ordered my 330i back in February it turned out to have the "Advanced" (ha!) Hi-Fi deleted and I didn't even know that until I got in it. Even the HK is pretty crap so as you might imagine, the base-system is shit beyond belief. Not that I was particularly bothered as I usually just listen to Talksport in the car so it doesn't matter to me but just the other day I thought I'd try some music but gave up. Every other manufacturer can manage it but BMW audio has always been utter toss.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:31 AM   #86
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RTT View Post
HK is (still) unaffected on M340i/d orders that have it as part of the tech pack. It is removed if its a standalone option and not available at all on the other engines. That's what I was told when I placed my order. Apparently you also still get enhanced bluetooth under the same conditions.

They could at least offer a free service or 2 or credit towards BMW accessories as a gesture of thanks to customers sticking with them despite the difficulties or deletions.

Going to get worse moving forward I think.
£500 credit doesn't cut it that I know, if it was a package sure BMW would want twice that probably.

Thanks for clarifying HK, least I'll have speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:42 AM   #87
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
When I ordered my 330i back in February it turned out to have the "Advanced" (ha!) Hi-Fi deleted and I didn't even know that until I got in it. Even the HK is pretty crap so as you might imagine, the base-system is shit beyond belief. Not that I was particularly bothered as I usually just listen to Talksport in the car so it doesn't matter to me but just the other day I thought I'd try some music but gave up. Every other manufacturer can manage it but BMW audio has always been utter toss.
Wouldn't say the HK is crap at all. Once ran in and set up correctly the quality is very good.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:44 AM   #88
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Wouldn't say the HK is crap at all. Once ran in and set up correctly the quality is very good.
Compare it to the B&O in an Audi. Or even the Bose in an Audi.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0