Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 3 Series Facelift

05-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #67
Nodrog29
Lover of fast estate cars
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI M340i (due Sept 22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbon1973 View Post
Easty, given when you ordered are you definitely getting an LCI car?
I ordered 1st wek Jan (m340i touring) and really hope mine isn't lci. However, noises coming out of bmw are not hopeful!
Mine isn't due until November 😳 so definitely an LCI I asked the dealer when I first placed the order and I got an expected delivery date but he said back then it would be an LCI. I didn't get a build slot as I think I just effectively got placed in a queue of orders and now that the LCI is out he said he can start allocating build slots. The wait didn't bother me too much as that's kind of what I was aiming off for.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 01:54 PM   #68
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Costs are crazy now even for bmw. I think the laser light wording is just a website that needs updating.
At least they are giving everyone proper DRLs but just under 40k for a 320i m sport and 56k odd for an m340 is utter bonkers!
I looked at mine quickly. I got AUC and the dealer said list was £57k (hence why I buy used!!). I know the options are slightly different and can't be matched 100%, but the G21 M340i LCI starts at £56k and the options took it up to £63k.

So a 10% price rise. Guess they're getting ahead of inflation.
      05-21-2022, 03:28 PM   #69
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman77 View Post
Ooft, everything I've seen points to the LCI being a step down, would've been better sticking with the G20 order and then pulling it if you liked what you saw in the LCI
Yes, you may be right. There were other reasons too, such as the touch screen, touch controller, reverse assist and passenger seat electrics all not present, plus some doubts over wheel selection that made me pull the plug.

My 420i GC is just 3 years old with 21,000 miles and paid for. It has M-Sport plus, Inc HK , blue brakes and 19" wheels, so if I don't like what I see I will stick with my current car. Just extended the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 02:08 AM   #70
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Yes, you may be right. There were other reasons too, such as the touch screen, touch controller, reverse assist and passenger seat electrics all not present, plus some doubts over wheel selection that made me pull the plug.

My 420i GC is just 3 years old with 21,000 miles and paid for. It has M-Sport plus, Inc HK , blue brakes and 19" wheels, so if I don't like what I see I will stick with my current car. Just extended the warranty.
That’s what I decided to do. I have a three year old 330i with 16k on the clock which I have decided to keep for now. Just taken out the additional 12 months warranty and replaced its tyres. I plan to replace like for like (non facelift) if I can find one with the same spec.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 04:04 AM   #71
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
That’s what I decided to do. I have a three year old 330i with 16k on the clock which I have decided to keep for now. Just taken out the additional 12 months warranty and replaced its tyres. I plan to replace like for like (non facelift) if I can find one with the same spec.
The new market is rubbish at the moment for all sorts of reasons and the second hand market is hugely inflated as a consequence.

I usually look around to replace my car and my wife's around 3-4 years old with the cash price to change being the thing I look for. Big discounts and pre-registered cars is the way I have done it over many years but those routes are just not there anymore, meaning the cost to change has increased. Its good that there is more equity in our second hand cars but that is more than being cancelled by the lack of discounts and the long lead times. I have even looked at the Audi A4 that has got some good discounts at the moment.

By the way...do you need new tyres at 16k? That's a heavy right foot.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 04:50 AM   #72
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
The new market is rubbish at the moment for all sorts of reasons and the second hand market is hugely inflated as a consequence.

I usually look around to replace my car and my wife's around 3-4 years old with the cash price to change being the thing I look for. Big discounts and pre-registered cars is the way I have done it over many years but those routes are just not there anymore, meaning the cost to change has increased. Its good that there is more equity in our second hand cars but that is more than being cancelled by the lack of discounts and the long lead times. I have even looked at the Audi A4 that has got some good discounts at the moment.

By the way...do you need new tyres at 16k? That's a heavy right foot.
My M340i needed new rears at 10750 miles
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #73
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Quote:

Sounds a very similar position to me. I had a non-LCI on order and cancelled due to the deletions list ever growing and wasnt desperate for a car. It was a joke that a car in 2021 didnt have a touchscreen.

The LCI review for me:

+ less deletions
+ better front end
+ more colour choices
+ more wheel choices that are arguably better
+ new OS8 interface
- more expensive
- less physical buttons
- weird gear stick
- new OS8 interface could be buggy

The fact that the rest of the BMW lineup (and most other manufacturers) with follow with a setup akin to OS8 suggests we're all gonna have to accept a touch interface at some point.

Last edited by dpazz; 05-24-2022 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 12:55 AM   #74
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpazz View Post
Quote:

Sounds a very similar position to me. I had a non-LCI on order and cancelled due to the deletions list ever growing and wasnt desperate for a car. It was a joke that a car in 2021 didnt have a touchscreen.

The LCI review for me:

+ less deletions
+ better front end
+ more colour choices
+ more wheel choices that are arguably better
+ new OS8 interface
- more expensive
- less physical buttons
- weird gear stick
- new OS8 interface could be buggy

The fact that the rest of the BMW lineup (and most other manufacturers) with follow with a setup akin to OS8 suggests we're all gonna have to accept a touch interface at some point.
The thing I actually dislike on OS8 isn't actually the screen itself. In fact the dials are prolly better than 7s.

What I dislike is the "everything is now an app" setup, where all the icons are very hard to distinguish at a glance due to the colour scheme. At least on iOS you can tell what something is at a glance as the icons have been well designed . But look at this and how much harder it is to find what you need.

Give me back a proper settings menu please
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 01:34 AM   #75
Antiseptic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i4

Sadly most OS7 users have never used OS8 for an extended time period.

You will forget the complaints once you’ve had the car for a few days…

My wife has had an i4 for over a month.

HVAC doesn’t move and how often do you need to change it anyway

Most features can still be operated by the controller and shortcuts

You can create your own shortcuts - push the controller up…

You rarely use the Apps except on initial set up.

Buy your LCI and don’t use OS8 as an excuse not to.

Oh and the i4 looks stunning (never had so much attention for a new car). Bugger sideways photo for some reason…
Attached Images

Last edited by Antiseptic; 05-25-2022 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 06:01 AM   #76
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

One question for you all. If you ordered a pre-LCI car, picked your spec and agreed a price, then find out you are getting an LCI model that has gone up in price, £1300 extra for leather, wheels choice is different, paint colour options have changed, dash trim have changed, an option chosen has now disappeared such as laser lights or hifi speakers (as I originally chose)...what happens?

Do you get the option to choose the spec again? Do you get a new bill with the price increase? Do BMW just pick what they think is an acceptable replacement option. What if you chose a certain colour but like one of the new colours? How does this all work?

Last edited by sensible; 05-25-2022 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 05:52 PM   #77
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiseptic View Post
Sadly most OS7 users have never used OS8 for an extended time period.

You will forget the complaints once you’ve had the car for a few days…

My wife has had an i4 for over a month.

HVAC doesn’t move and how often do you need to change it anyway

Most features can still be operated by the controller and shortcuts

You can create your own shortcuts - push the controller up…

You rarely use the Apps except on initial set up.

Buy your LCI and don’t use OS8 as an excuse not to.

Oh and the i4 looks stunning (never had so much attention for a new car). Bugger sideways photo for some reason…
Shortcuts via the controller might well be quickish, but is it easier than a button? As mentioned a few times, I find iDrive very distracting whenever I go through it, looking at the screen rather than the road. Not good for me!!

i4 looks stunning. No BM saloon has ever looked stunning. Their estates? Now that's another matter The i5 might be coming out in a couple of years but not sure about an i4 touring...is there one coming soon?

One question with iD8. How much light at night time does it pump out? I like a dark cabin at night time, but at the same time I don't want the screen to be so dark that I can't see it. Balance has to be found. With the extra screen size, is it a bright cabin?

And if we are going to be overly anal OCDish - I can't stand reflection at night time in the side windows (or windscreen) of any screen/cockpit. Does it suffer from that?
      05-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #78
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Can't comment specifically on OS8, but I know both of those arent an issue on my 15" display in my Tesla whatsoever. Don't forget when it's night, you require less light to see the screen. So just like your iPhone or Android mobile phone, the screen auto-adjusts for brightness.

Like Antiseptic says, you hardly touch the controls and the main stuff is all on the steering wheel anyways.
Appreciate 1
jdc090724.50
      05-27-2022, 07:03 AM   #79
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

When I had my first BMW, just a simple 116d, I remember how different it felt from previous cars, like I was in a cockpit and that this car was all about the driver!

I look at this with its large screen, lack of proper dials in front of you, no proper gear stick and it just looks the opposite of how I always thought a BMW should be!?
      05-27-2022, 07:34 AM   #80
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep

At least if the screen or dash fails you can goto a BMW drive though and get it swapped in 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:28 AM   #81
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

How is that any different to a traditional instrument cluster failing? I think you could probably change a screen quicker than an instrument cluster to be fair. There is no greater chance of failure.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 07:21 AM   #82
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
How is that any different to a traditional instrument cluster failing? I think you could probably change a screen quicker than an instrument cluster to be fair. There is no greater chance of failure.
cluster is way easier to remove. its 2 torx bolts and pop out it comes.
main screens tricker, takes about 2x longer due to where the bolts are

(i've done both on G20 and also F30s )
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #83
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerglass007 View Post
At least if the screen or dash fails you can goto a BMW drive though and get it swapped in 10 minutes.
Still looks gash though, it's as if the screen was an afterthought just plonked on there. I really hope it gets re-integrated more with the cockpit in future iterations.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 09:51 AM   #84
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Look at the new 7 series, same cheap stuck on design.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #85
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thats my point and it was a joke. One of the reasons BMW and a lot of manufacturers have gone down the screen route is the cost

No designing and having to manufacture dashboards or buttons. They can bring software engineers into the fold and once the code is written it can be deployed to ALL models. Massive cost saving

When a problem occurs, its coded and deployed saving again

The whole screen can be replaced rather than stripping the dashboard

Cars many years ago would die because of rust now its electrical faults, Merc's had a big problem a few years back. The A class would be written off because of a small electrical problem involving a complete dashboard strip, a friend of mine was picking up A class Mercs every week on a flatbed lorry with a blanket over the top

I'm sure some of this has been addressed with these bolt on screens etc
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #86
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipmiester View Post
Not heard anything regarding engine tweaks.
Minor changes to the turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb10 View Post

I think what they’ve done is put the blue accents that people liked from the laser lights on the adaptive LEDs.
This is exactly what they have done. Laser lights at the front have been dropped from the entire portfolio in LCI AFAIK.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 03:45 PM   #87
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Minor changes to the turbo

This is exactly what they have done. Laser lights at the front have been dropped from the entire portfolio in LCI AFAIK.
Yeah they had problems with some countries selling lasers and LED is good enough....bang for bucks works out better for them
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA391.00
      05-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #88
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerglass007 View Post
Yeah they had problems with some countries selling lasers and LED is good enough....bang for bucks works out better for them
Exactly. Low uptake, this is what caused(here at least) for rear heated seats to be dropped for the G20.
Appreciate 0