Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Poll: Am I a Scumbag??? Car Deal Gone Bad

View Poll Results: Am I a Scumbag???
No, thats what I would have done... 84 88.42%
Yes...I hope you drop dead and rot in hell... 11 11.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

01-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #45
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Dude, you are fine and here is a little story that will make you feel better. I paid more for my 335i coupe back in '06 then I had to at the dealer I used because I was friends with the SM and had worked there and my parents had bought there cars there. There was a good relationship there. It was a demo with 1700 miles on it and I knew the guy who had been driving it and I know he is respectful of cars so I did it. 8 months later, my HPFP failed and because of the length of time it was out of commission my SM talked with BMW, and sales and got me a collateral exchange.

Well fast forward a few months and my brand new car shows up, and the dealer asks for $850+ I was like dude, its a collateral exchange. They said yes but you have to pay the difference in MSRPs. I was like what?! I was pissed but the sales manager came out who I KNOW and told me "We're trying to do right by you, we would waive this if we could but we are already taking a hit". Well, I was getting a new car so I agreed.

Fast forward to a few months ago, while talking with the SM and another BMW regional guy this whole event came up in question and both of them looked at me in surprise and said, "Thats not how it works". So basically my dealer completely lied to me and screwed me out of $850!!!

So now I say screw my dealer. My service department is awesome and I love dealing with them and they have my loyalty. But the sales department? F**K 'EM!!! I hope they never sell another car again and I take every opportunity to call them crooks and bad mouth their name.

So, OP, know that no matter how well you know a dealer, the sales department will screw you if it benefited them. Dealers set the bar, and you are just abiding by it, so don't lose sleep!!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #46
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Do you think for a second that the dealer wouldn't screw you if it came down to losing money? Bravo dude for doing your homework.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #47
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

tell the dealer to goto hell... you're the one who has to pay for it...

he'll come crawling out of his hole to sell you another car any day of the week if you come back to him...
      01-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #48
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
Now we know the price of staying true to your word...... $10/month for a few years.
You started the thread by asking if you are a scumbag, so since you asked, I'd have to say yes. I hope you aren't raising kids, because you sell out your values really cheap.
It's pretty disgusting to think that someone riding around in a new loaded X5 is that cheap and unethical.
Dude are you kidding me its the dealers job to earn your business not the other way around. People work hard for their money and if another dealer was willing to work with him to get what he wanted then boo hoo to the original dealer. Another dealer showed that they wanted his business so he did not do anything wrong. So he should pay more and stick with a dealer thats just trying to make a couple more bucks on him, get real. Some dealers try to get rich off of one deal instead of applying the golden rule. If you treat a customer right not only will he return to purchase again but he will tell everyone he knows on how awesome he was treated and they get more customers that way.
      01-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #49
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodAddict View Post
Agreed. No one has morales and ethics anymore.

^ Ok this I disagree with. If the poster had done all of his research, he would have eventually found the deal he did without looking like a douchebag. I'm all for checking everything out, but when you say "deal"... you don't come back and say No Deal... This isn't a game of chess folks... you can't "go back one move" lol...
You can't be for real. Do you know how many times a dealer has promised and shook my hands only to tell me later no deal as you say. Its a game they play and we should play also. A dealer will screw you at every opportunity they can get, they will lie right to your face. Now as soon as somebody gets a better deal on the vehicle he wanted that the dealer said the deal can't be done, now he's a scumbag.
      01-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #50
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

When I was a renter, I never understood why landlords behaved the way they did. After owning rental properties i sure did.
When I was an employee I never understood the reasons my employer acted the way he did. After being the employer I did.

You guys talk about "stealerships" and such, but after reading the majority of your posts I'm beginning to understand the reasons dealers take what they can from us.

You guys condone lying, breaking verbal agreements, and whatever it takes to squeeze a few extra $'s out of a dealer. It's no wonder that when we sit down to discuss a sale, it's often beyond adversarial.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #51
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

congrats on ur new purchase! u did the right thing and got nothing to be ashamed of.

i would ignore the clown who says otherwise.

one more note, i think it's unwise to use one dealership for many years because they tend to take advantage of you and do so more easily if they know you and they know you like them. i learned this the hard way. nice attitude and friendly smiles will buy you exactly zero cup of coffee, while hard bargain, which often turns into adversarial or even hostile situation, will save you money that can go into your kid's college fund instead.

maybe the dealers will talk what an SOB u are behind ur back but i'm sure they talk just the same what a sucker you are if u overpaid them as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #52
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Kind of funny.

If I say a a person should stick to a deal they made a handshake on and gave a deposit on, I'm insulted all over this thread. In most general areas, this would be considered a binding contract, by the way.

Then there are other threads on this site where BMW owners are stereotyped as being assholes, and people here wondering why.

If you guys are representative of BMW owners as a whole, I'm beginning to understand why the non BMW public views us the way they do.

I know after reading the opinion in the majority of these posts, I'd never enter into an agreement with someone who drives a BMW without a binding written contract.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #53
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

This is a dealership we're talking about. If he was buying from a private owner than I would agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #54
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodAddict View Post
I'm all for checking everything out, but when you say "deal"... you don't come back and say No Deal... This isn't a game of chess folks... you can't "go back one move" lol...
You can't "go back one move" in chess, either. When you release the piece you're obligated to that move.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #55
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
Kind of funny.

If I say a a person should stick to a deal they made a handshake on and gave a deposit on, I'm insulted all over this thread. In most general areas, this would be considered a binding contract, by the way.

Then there are other threads on this site where BMW owners are stereotyped as being assholes, and people here wondering why.

If you guys are representative of BMW owners as a whole, I'm beginning to understand why the non BMW public views us the way they do.

I know after reading the opinion in the majority of these posts, I'd never enter into an agreement with someone who drives a BMW without a binding written contract.
The deal was based on misinformation, provided by that 'mistaken' salesman.

Congratulations on the 'one in the oven'! Moving out of the city? Sprawling suburbia is only an hour commute, each way.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #56
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Op here...RESOLUTION:

Karma rules and Karma has spoken...

As of Friday, BMW started offering $2500 rebate on the X5. My "ordered" car would not qualify since the requirements for the rebate is that you take delivery by 2/2 and buy out of dealer inventory...

As luck would have it...he just got the EXACT X5 in that ordered...only difference is it's Saph Black instead of Space Gray...which I am more than happy with.

So, I just saved another $2500. Had I stuck with the original 3.0 from the original dealer, I would have been paying MORE money for the 3.0 than I am now for 4.8...and it wouldn't have been even close!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #57
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Op here...RESOLUTION:

Karma rules and Karma has spoken...

As of Friday, BMW started offering $2500 rebate on the X5. My "ordered" car would not qualify since the requirements for the rebate is that you take delivery by 2/2 and buy out of dealer inventory...

As luck would have it...he just got the EXACT X5 in that ordered...only difference is it's Saph Black instead of Space Gray...which I am more than happy with.

So, I just saved another $2500. Had I stuck with the original 3.0 from the original dealer, I would have been paying MORE money for the 3.0 than I am now for 4.8...and it wouldn't have been even close!!!

Good for you!

There is nothing wrong with backing out of a car deal. Many dealers try to swindle customers in multiple areas, by either giving them a low ball number to come through the door, agreeing to one price, then switching things around when you get to the finance office, or any number of things.

I will always shop around for the best deal. But if I give someone my word, and another place beats them by only a few dollars I'll stick with where I said I would. Now if the price is a good amount different, then that is another story. But I would consider giving the salesman who I just took a deal away from a hundred dollars or so considering he only works off commission and right now is rough time for him.
      01-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #58
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

car sales and dealership are mostly Scumbags anyways. how i see it is buyer should never feel bad cuz when dealership screw people outta their money, they won't feel a tiny bit bad for you. so what your sales person got pissed? you got the best deal and they werent able to match it..boohoohoo.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #59
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Dealerships are scumbags. You have no idea what I went threw I got $200 off bargaining my payments on the day of delivery. I had called a friend who just started working at another dealership and he told me what he could give me the car for and I stood with that line when speaking to them. I mean your not wrong because in the car game that's how it happens. The only thing I think you are wrong about is shaking your hand. It means nothing to them but to you it should. You should pride yourself in that handshake. And never shake sum ones hand until you did all your research. That's just my 2 cents.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #60
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

let's stop with the generalizing of dealerships and sales people.

I'm glad that everything worked out for your benefit. IMO, whatever benefits you as a buyer is always the BEST option.

Good Luck with your new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #61
titaniume90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

who cares you got yours
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #62
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I voted yes, but I didn't read the post. I just think you're a scumbag. But it's OK, I'm a scumbag too
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #63
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I would have done what you did...but $71k for an SUV...damn BMW is getting expensive. I would have bought a used ~2006 Honda Odyssey for around $18k and a used E39 M5 as my fun car for around $24k.

That's just me though...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:00 AM   #64
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
I would have done what you did...but $71k for an SUV...damn BMW is getting expensive. I would have bought a used ~2006 Honda Odyssey for around $18k and a used E39 M5 as my fun car for around $24k.

That's just me though...
Not a bad idea....until you consider that I live in Manhattan and it's $400 per month to park. That makes 2 rides a "bad idea"...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #65
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

smart consumer and scumbag you are not. You are the customer. Your job is to find the lowest price and its up to sales people to offer the lowest price. They made you an inticing offer and you took it. Its called "smart shopper"!!!
      01-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #66
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

You did well, I can not figure out some dealers and what they smoke sometime. My local dealer claimed I could not touch my 335i for the price a dealer 30 miles away gave it to me. I even walked in the local dealer with the deal in hand and my check book and told them if they matched it i was cutting them a check on the spot.

Needless to say, they refused their own arrogance got in the way of sale.

I tell Dealers all the time my check book does not care who's name I write in the pay to line.
Appreciate 0