Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 Pro

08-24-2023, 07:24 AM   #45
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Looking forward to hearing your update!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 03:59 PM   #46
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Any particular make of 128GB memory card?
I've tended to stick with Sandisk and they're not extortionate on good old Amazon.
Are they normal size memory cards not the micro jobbies?
They are the 'Micro' SD card variety.
No point in going over the 128Gb as the camera does not 'recognise' the extra (at least, not yet) A 128Gb will give circa 12 -14 hrs for front and rear before overwriting happens.

While BMW state you must go with their card for warranty (I think £48 for the 128 which is bonkers ) I honestly cannot see them being better than SanDisk.
If you go for a non BMW card, just be sure to get from a reputable source, so many knockoffs out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 04:56 PM   #47
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonD View Post
They are the 'Micro' SD card variety.
No point in going over the 128Gb as the camera does not 'recognise' the extra (at least, not yet) A 128Gb will give circa 12 -14 hrs for front and rear before overwriting happens.

While BMW state you must go with their card for warranty (I think £48 for the 128 which is bonkers ) I honestly cannot see them being better than SanDisk.
If you go for a non BMW card, just be sure to get from a reputable source, so many knockoffs out there.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
The Sandisk ones are about thirteen quid or so on Amazon from 'the Sandisk store' so I'm sure they should be OK.
They come with an 'SD card adaptor' which I assume means I can use them in the Apple SD card reader I have for my camera SD card so I could view the footage on my iMac (the iMac version I have doesn't have an SD card reader slot). Would that be right? (I'm not too well up on all this techie stuff!)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 05:39 PM   #48
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

On Amazon just make sure you aren’t buying from a dodgy marketplace seller (even on products linked to from the sandisk store). There are soooooo many fakes around.
Appreciate 2
bmnut813.50
      08-25-2023, 03:21 AM   #49
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

WRT to recordings, I contacted the ACE 3.0 Support Team - here's what they said.

Hello,

The original BMW 32GB SD card can save 78 minutes of driving recordings – when both the front camera and rear camera is on. Incident recordings are saved 26 minutes, and manual recordings are 8 minutes, and the parking recordings – when the shock is detected while parking mode – are 46 minutes.

64GB SD card can save 157 minutes of driving recordings when both the front camera and rear camera is on. 53 minutes of Incident recordings are saved, and manual recordings are 17 minutes, and the parking recordings – when the shock is detected while parking mode – are 92 minutes.

128GB SD card can save 316 minutes of driving recordings. Incident recordings are saved 107 minutes, and manual recordings are 126 minutes. Also, the parking recordings - when the shock is detected while parking mode - are 153 minutes.

After the time allocated for each part, it will be overwritten from the beginning.

Thank you and best regards,

Your ACE 3.0 support team.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 03:50 AM   #50
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
The Sandisk ones are about thirteen quid or so on Amazon from 'the Sandisk store' so I'm sure they should be OK.
They come with an 'SD card adaptor' which I assume means I can use them in the Apple SD card reader I have for my camera SD card so I could view the footage on my iMac (the iMac version I have doesn't have an SD card reader slot). Would that be right? (I'm not too well up on all this techie stuff!)
Sandisk microSD cards work fine, I've got a 128 GB one. Here's a photo of the adapter they supply - yes, it should fit in your reader. Alternatively, you could bet a USB adapter like the one shown.

BTW - I'd recommend using the Thinkware Viewer on your Mac (see the link I gave in an earlier post in this thread).
Attached Images

Last edited by sjb993; 08-25-2023 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
SonD325.00
      08-25-2023, 08:34 AM   #51
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
On Amazon just make sure you aren’t buying from a dodgy marketplace seller (even on products linked to from the sandisk store). There are soooooo many fakes around.
Thanks for that info Paul. It's a bugger these days isn't it trying to ensure you're not getting ripped off?
Might see what leading electrical stores price them at which should offer a bit more 'consumer protection' or for the sake of 'spoiling the ship for a ha'peth of tar' as my grandfather would have said, may just say 'sod it' and get the BMW one from the dealer and try and wring some discount out of them!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 08:35 AM   #52
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
Sandisk microSD cards work fine, I've got a 128 GB one. Here's a photo of the adapter they supply - yes, it should fit in your reader. Alternatively, you could bet a USD adapter like the one shown.

BTW - I'd recommend using the Thinkware Viewer on your Mac (see the link I gave in an earlier post in this thread).
All that is really useful sjb993...thank you very much for that!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 10:57 AM   #53
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All that is really useful sjb993...thank you very much for that!
Happy to help - on the very few occasions I can.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 02:44 AM   #54
boristhebold
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 320D M SPORTS TOURER

I get mine from Amazon no problems with them have used the same seller on numerous times, link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 03:20 AM   #55
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M-Sport Touring xDriv

OK, first impressions are it is very, very good, looks neat and tidy, not too much "in your face" and the screen stays off... in fact if you tap the screen when driving it gives a message saying it cant be used when driving, which is good

Video quality is also excellent for the front camera, used in both daylight and night and it is clear.. the rear camera needed to be brightened as it looked a little dark and at night it does show the glare but it is a lower resolution camera..

The APP is good lets you do all the settings, view the footage and download easy.. APP is a bit slow compared to the unit but that was mentioned in the video I posted.. but not too bad..

This is it on the screen from the drivers seat when I picked it up...
Attached Images

08-26-2023, 05:20 AM   #56
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I get mine from Amazon no problems with them have used the same seller on numerous times, link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Which seller? I opened your link twice, about 10 minutes apart, and Amazon showed a different seller both times.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 07:30 AM   #57
boristhebold
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 320D M SPORTS TOURER

Hi It was Zara Services who I have used in the past. I see its showing Alivo on the link try this one it has opened each time on Zara services
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 07:27 AM   #58
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive320D View Post
OK, first impressions are it is very, very good, looks neat and tidy, not too much "in your face" and the screen stays off... in fact if you tap the screen when driving it gives a message saying it cant be used when driving, which is good

Video quality is also excellent for the front camera, used in both daylight and night and it is clear.. the rear camera needed to be brightened as it looked a little dark and at night it does show the glare but it is a lower resolution camera..

The APP is good lets you do all the settings, view the footage and download easy.. APP is a bit slow compared to the unit but that was mentioned in the video I posted.. but not too bad..

This is it on the screen from the drivers seat when I picked it up...
That does look really neat I have to say!
Good to hear that it lives up to the expectations and pleased you are so happy with it.
Could you possibly post a photo of what it looks like from sitting in the front passenger seat?
I'm undecided whether to go for the 3.0 or the Pro, my wife on the other hand is more inclined to want the 3.0. I think she's conscious of how it will look from the front passenger's viewpoint!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 07:41 AM   #59
Rednev
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (M340i/435i/M135i)

I have had both fitted to my M135i. Dealer made a mistake & fitted non Pro version when I’d asked for the pro.

Only difference is that the pro has a screen. Cameras & mount are exactly the same.

The dealer corrected their mistake by swapping the head/front camera unit.

I find the whole system generally ok, but the process of connecting my phone to the camera via the app a faff. You have to disconnect the connection to the car (apple play, Bluetooth & Wi-Fi) then once finished viewing/downloading ant footage you have to reconnect.

Quote:
Hi

New on here..

I am looking to get one of the above installed, anyone have any experience of this system? The "PRO" version has better quality cameras front and rear, plus a screen

Seen one installed and I must say looks quite neat, more important fits in with the BMW electrics, plug & play wiring rather than splicing..

Also, dealer has done a good price to supply and fit
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 11:45 AM   #60
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednev View Post
I have had both fitted to my M135i. Dealer made a mistake & fitted non Pro version when I’d asked for the pro.

Only difference is that the pro has a screen. Cameras & mount are exactly the same.

The dealer corrected their mistake by swapping the head/front camera unit.

I find the whole system generally ok, but the process of connecting my phone to the camera via the app a faff. You have to disconnect the connection to the car (apple play, Bluetooth & Wi-Fi) then once finished viewing/downloading ant footage you have to reconnect.
Strange - I don’t have to disconnect the car’s Bluetooth connection.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 01:57 AM   #61
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That does look really neat I have to say!
Good to hear that it lives up to the expectations and pleased you are so happy with it.
Could you possibly post a photo of what it looks like from sitting in the front passenger seat?
I'm undecided whether to go for the 3.0 or the Pro, my wife on the other hand is more inclined to want the 3.0. I think she's conscious of how it will look from the front passenger's viewpoint!
Yeah it is very good, I am really happy with it, image quality is good in day, night and rain from both front and rear cameras although at night the rear camera is not quite as good.. only to be expected as its a lower resolution but on the whole excellent..

This is the passenger view, looks a lot larger than it actually is in the picture..
Attached Images

08-29-2023, 05:16 AM   #62
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it is very good, I am really happy with it, image quality is good in day, night and rain from both front and rear cameras although at night the rear camera is not quite as good.. only to be expected as its a lower resolution but on the whole excellent..

This is the passenger view, looks a lot larger than it actually is in the picture..
Really appreciate that , thank you!
My local dealer is in the process of fitting them to all their demonstrator fleet but have yet to fit the Pro version so I was curious as to what the difference would be looking at them from inside the car.

Once I get my car repaired, which is still looking like another couple of weeks yet, been off the road now for three weeks now already I'll be arranging to have one fitted to my car then will get the wife's car in to have a one fitted to her car.

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2023, 05:35 AM   #63
xDrive320D
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Really appreciate that , thank you!
My local dealer is in the process of fitting them to all their demonstrator fleet but have yet to fit the Pro version so I was curious as to what the difference would be looking at them from inside the car.

Once I get my car repaired, which is still looking like another couple of weeks yet, been off the road now for three weeks now already I'll be arranging to have one fitted to my car then will get the wife's car in to have a one fitted to her car.

Thanks again, much appreciated!
The pictures do make it look larger than it is, you can see compared to the mirror, does not seem to distract me when driving..
      09-16-2023, 03:43 PM   #64
mpeng82
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 320d Msport

Quote:
I'm looking forward to hearing your views and some photos of it fitted.

I've seen fitted 3.0 versions at my local dealer and they do look very discrete that could have a lot to do with the senior tech who fits them and places them as high as possible to the upper edge of the screens to minimise the obstruction looking through the screens.
I've seen some installations where the mounting adhesive pads have been placed a couple of inches into the screen from the edges and apart from looking awful they must surely be a distraction to your vision?
Agree with what you say about the rear camera the shape and size and tight edge placement and you would easily miss seeing it fitted!
I had this fitted from new, and i regret doing so. Not only because the front cam is not central and in direct view of the passanger but some of the functions of tue camera are really poor (in my opinion).

Id by a cheaper and probably better unit from elsewhere.
Appreciate 2
bmnut813.50
      09-17-2023, 04:02 PM   #65
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeng82 View Post
I had this fitted from new, and i regret doing so. Not only because the front cam is not central and in direct view of the passanger but some of the functions of tue camera are really poor (in my opinion).

Id by a cheaper and probably better unit from elsewhere.
Can I ask what functions of the camera did you find were really poor?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 04:06 AM   #66
mpeng82
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 320d Msport

Perhaps i was not informed enough before buying.......

Transferring data, quickest method is removing the sd card and transfering by pc/laptop. In order to ensure i dont lose data whilst doing so, i bought two 128gb cards and just use them.
This also worries me about taking the card out regularly and damaging the unit.

There is no warning when you have reached your cards storage limit, the device just overwrites the previous stored data.

You can connect to the device remotely, i say remotely, you have to be in the car to do this, it also makes the "live view" on the app pointless.
This is also how you would download the saved data to your phone..... you can look for incidents easily, so if you want to just save these, then all the data to your phone then you can.

Parking sensor can be hit and miss, sometimes activates when expected, sometimes it doesnt.

Bmw installed mine per guidelines, but the front cam is in front of the passenger , so if they are of average height it is in direct sight of them.

Some positives.......

Picture quality is good
Able to manually change sensitivity of recording
Reply from support team are prompt- i think based in china - ive sent a few questions to them in the past, if i can find them i will forward to you.
Appreciate 0