Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Exhaust closes in "D" (drive) besides it's in Sport Plus?

07-17-2023, 01:55 PM   #1
asapakos
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Exhaust closes in "D" (drive) besides it's in Sport Plus?

Hello!

I’ve noticed a weird thing today, hope someone has a solution. If my car is in Sport or Sport Plus mode, it should open the right exhaust valve, alright? If u listen to the video carefully, it opens when I put the car from Comfort to S+. But all of a sudden, when I put the transmission to ‘D’ it closes back. It only opens if the transmission is in ‘N’ or ‘P’.

Does this mean it’s never open in ‘D’ ? What’s the point then?

Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/leIKDOTVlzY?feature=share

Thanks,
Akos
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 02:48 PM   #2
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asapakos View Post
Hello!

I’ve noticed a weird thing today, hope someone has a solution. If my car is in Sport or Sport Plus mode, it should open the right exhaust valve, alright? If u listen to the video carefully, it opens when I put the car from Comfort to S+. But all of a sudden, when I put the transmission to ‘D’ it closes back. It only opens if the transmission is in ‘N’ or ‘P’.

Does this mean it’s never open in ‘D’ ? What’s the point then?

Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/leIKDOTVlzY?feature=share

Thanks,
Akos
Hello there!!
I have some experience from my G20 M340i and this is how it works from my understanding/testing.

As you said yourself, when the car is in N or P and any of the sports modes are activated, then the car will open its valve. If you then choose to put the car into D the valve will close.

Now, if kept in sports mode the car will usually open the valve at three points once you have driven off;
1. Is over 30mph (I THINK, and correct me if I’m wrong, it’s because most residential areas are 20/30mph zones and they do not want you to make too much noise, especially during the later hours)
2. In sports mode if you accelerate hard the valve is pushed open when below 30mph
3. Similar to point 2, if you are in comfort/adaptive etc and you accelerate too hard at any speed, the valve is pushed open.

Now there are a number of waste to keep the valve open at all times;

1. You can unplug it when the valve is open, put electric tape over the connectors and tuck it away/zip tie it.

2. You can use BimmerLink to keep it open using the OBD port. (Please note that you just be connected to the OBD port as long as you want the valve open, loss of connection to the OBD port will result in the valve going back to default settings).

3. You can code this from a workshop for the valve to always stay open in sports or sports plus mode. This is usually offered with a Stage 1 or 2.

Now this is everything I understand about the valve, I might have a slight misunderstanding from point to point, but anyone reading this feel free to correct me.

Let me know if you have any other questions!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:57 AM   #3
DNB_Perth
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

You can also keep the Exhaust Valve open all the time by doing this..... once the Valve is open (in Sports Mode, in Park) you go to the boot/trunk and take out the very left hand side top fuse, it is a 7.5A fuse just above 2x 5Amp fuses.... TOP LEFT!!! take that 7.5 Amp fuse out while the valve is open and it will stay open. (I've had this done to my car for 6mths now with no issue and no valve connector hanging underneath the car!!!)
MHD Stage 2 Tune, xHP Stage 3, Active Autowerke Catted Downpipe, MST Cold Air Intake, H&R Lowering Springs, Spacers, M Performance Lip and Side Skirts, Exhaust Valve Mod, Blackvue 900S Dual Dashcam and Blackvue Backup Battery
If you're in Perth, feel free to join our Facebook group "Perth BMW G20 Group"
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 07:00 AM   #4
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep
Drives: 05/2022 M340i xDrive Touring

Garage List
I would not recommend to remove the plug or fuse to have the valve always open.
The car knows this and some routines will not work anymore.
This can lead to a CEL.
For cars with a GPF it can also harm the GPF as the emission routines of the DME wont work without the fuse / plug.
      07-18-2023, 08:20 PM   #5
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Just to add to other comments about ways to leave the valve open. You can code “Engine Sound” in just 2 minutes. You get a menu option on iDrive that essentially controls the valve. I made a post about it recently.

I agree that removing the fuse is not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 12:57 AM   #6
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Just to add to other comments about ways to leave the valve open. You can code “Engine Sound” in just 2 minutes. You get a menu option on iDrive that essentially controls the valve. I made a post about it recently.

This is what I've done. Much better solution as you can close the valve via the iDrive if you want to.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 08:29 AM   #7
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post

This is not necessarily true. I’ve done this on my car before and it works EXACTLY the same as described, when in P or N valve is open and when in D it closes again
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 01:50 PM   #8
okankaymak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 330xi M Sport

Soo have we decided yet on which one is the best/safest way to have the flap open at all times?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 03:10 PM   #9
okankaymak
Private
Rep

I just ordered this dummy plug from ECS tuning. Even though the page says it doesn't fit on G20, I have seen someone in the forum using this with a M340 which has the same flap mechanism.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18302411427/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 07:30 PM   #10
phthalo_blue
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

I have a JB4 and can control the valve, and can tell you that in Sport or Sport+ the valve isn't 100% open unless you're at WOT or close to it. If I drive around with the valve open, its super deep and noticeably louder. Nowhere near the sound I get from Sport+ alone with default operation.

You might be screwing with your exhaust flow since it can't open past wherever it settled after warmup\unplug.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 11:25 PM   #11
okankaymak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phthalo_blue View Post
I have a JB4 and can control the valve, and can tell you that in Sport or Sport+ the valve isn't 100% open unless you're at WOT or close to it. If I drive around with the valve open, its super deep and noticeably louder. Nowhere near the sound I get from Sport+ alone with default operation.

You might be screwing with your exhaust flow since it can't open past wherever it settled after warmup\unplug.
I'm opening/closing the valve with Engine Sound menu. By switching between Sport and Reduced I can hear the valve clicking thus opening and closing.

This process should open the valve 100%, is that safe to assume? I tried looking inside the passenger side pipe but I cannot see the flap itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 05:16 AM   #12
snopyy
Rep
Drives: M340i

On P, the valve is opened with sports mode.
On D, the valve is opened only when engine RPM exceed 3000 rpm regardless of driving mode.
The exhaust sound difference is dominant with MPE around 3000 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 05:52 AM   #13
phthalo_blue
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by okankaymak View Post
I'm opening/closing the valve with Engine Sound menu. By switching between Sport and Reduced I can hear the valve clicking thus opening and closing.

This process should open the valve 100%, is that safe to assume? I tried looking inside the passenger side pipe but I cannot see the flap itself.
I can tell a huge difference between idling in P with Sport on, and idling in P with the valve open. It actually takes 10-15 seconds for the JB4 to send the flap command after turning the car over, so you hear a big drop in pitch and gain in volume when it happens. I think Sport mode alone only gets it partially open until you're pushing the car a bit.
Appreciate 0