Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3-Series: What I've learned since taking delivery

04-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #133
Pheasantsnest
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i, BMW X3

Thankyou

Thankyou very much for your review. It was excellent.
The car looks awesome in the colour combination too.

I was particularly thankful for the photos of the space saver options. If you could, could you post another photo of the trunk space a standing back just a little. I would like to see the available space between the new floor (top of the space save tyre) and the bottom of the rear parcel shelf.

Thanks Again.
Appreciate 1
Mii392.50
      04-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #134
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

G20 Space-Saver Spare Measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantsnest View Post
I was particularly thankful for the photos of the space saver options. If you could, could you post another photo of the trunk space a standing back just a little. I would like to see the available space between the new floor (top of the space save tyre) and the bottom of the rear parcel shelf.
Approx. 14.5" in between space.
Name:  g20_sss_3.png
Views: 5915
Size:  1.85 MB
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:10 AM   #135
Pheasantsnest
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i, BMW X3

G20 Space-Saver Spare Measurement

Brilliant, thanks
Apparently this option is not available on the specification list in Australia, I have the local dealer trying to hunt down this option for me, because I really need a spare wheel as I do long country drives with work.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #136
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
My wallet can, though. Let's see what an LCI brings.
look at the LCI 7 series similar design of the back lights... the design is here to stay for several years...
Very true, thank God we all have choices to make, like "other" manufacturers! Like the song goes "we're not going to take it" hum a few bars
Exactly, if you don't like it go to the next brand!! It might not be as good as BMW but at least you'll have the "pretty" back lights that you'll be happy with!!! 🤘🏻🤘🏻
To be honest, aesthetically it's fine. Price tag for a 4 banger manufactured in Mexico, is absurd! But you've noticed this. Needless to say, I like my German cars manufactured in some crazy place, like Germany
This whole thing about cars being assembled in Mexico is also getting old. The price is right up there with the other European brands.
BMW manufactures part of the X line in the US for years are those pure GERMAN CARS?
Or is it the part of MEXICO that you don't like. Other European brands as well as AMERICAN brands are in MEXICO.
You need to understand that unless you pay close to 100k for a "pure" German car you will have to get used to the fact that lesser models will be made through out the world to save cost.
Does not effect me in the least since I purchase "M" cars. As for the "saving cost" yes, BMW itself is saving a bundle while jacking up the MSRP across the board, quite touching. Nothing against Mexico so be careful with what you insinuate. This mighty defense of the BMW brand is ridiculous, unless you work the assembly line?? Anyways, this discussion may have taken a turn for the worse, let's put it to rest Over and out.....
Yes, bmw is increasing its profits. They are a for-profit, publicly traded company though, so I suppose it's what they're supposed to do. As long as there are those who will pay what they ask, who cares?

Consider that, if it weren't for the plant in Mexico, there might not continue to be a 3-series - or this could be the last generation if sales trends continue how they are. If you look at their sales, the crossover/suv segment is where their growth is. It's not necessarily unthinkable that they might begin making less sedans/coupes and focus more on what's selling. Look at ford as an example.

Also consider that bmw, and other big, "greedy, profit-minded" companies like them don't exist in a bubble. They're creating jobs, prosperity, and earnings for many people.

Consider too that if bmw doesn't make an effort to remain competitive, they'll eventually cease to exist as they do now. If they did continue to exist, it would likely be as a subsidiary of Daimler, vw, or maybe fiat.
Appreciate 1
RPM90889.50
      04-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #137
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
look at the LCI 7 series similar design of the back lights... the design is here to stay for several years...
Very true, thank God we all have choices to make, like "other" manufacturers! Like the song goes "we're not going to take it" hum a few bars
Exactly, if you don't like it go to the next brand!! It might not be as good as BMW but at least you'll have the "pretty" back lights that you'll be happy with!!! 🤘🏻🤘🏻
To be honest, aesthetically it's fine. Price tag for a 4 banger manufactured in Mexico, is absurd! But you've noticed this. Needless to say, I like my German cars manufactured in some crazy place, like Germany
This whole thing about cars being assembled in Mexico is also getting old. The price is right up there with the other European brands.
BMW manufactures part of the X line in the US for years are those pure GERMAN CARS?
Or is it the part of MEXICO that you don't like. Other European brands as well as AMERICAN brands are in MEXICO.
You need to understand that unless you pay close to 100k for a "pure" German car you will have to get used to the fact that lesser models will be made through out the world to save cost.
Does not effect me in the least since I purchase "M" cars. As for the "saving cost" yes, BMW itself is saving a bundle while jacking up the MSRP across the board, quite touching. Nothing against Mexico so be careful with what you insinuate. This mighty defense of the BMW brand is ridiculous, unless you work the assembly line?? Anyways, this discussion may have taken a turn for the worse, let's put it to rest Over and out.....
Yes, bmw is increasing its profits. They are a for-profit, publicly traded company though, so I suppose it's what they're supposed to do. As long as there are those who will pay what they ask, who cares?

Consider that, if it weren't for the plant in Mexico, there might not continue to be a 3-series - or this could be the last generation if sales trends continue how they are. If you look at their sales, the crossover/suv segment is where their growth is. It's not necessarily unthinkable that they might begin making less sedans/coupes and focus more on what's selling. Look at ford as an example.

Also consider that bmw, and other big, "greedy, profit-minded" companies like them don't exist in a bubble. They're creating jobs, prosperity, and earnings for many people.

Consider too that if bmw doesn't make an effort to remain competitive, they'll eventually cease to exist as they do now. If they did continue to exist, it would likely be as a subsidiary of Daimler, vw, or maybe fiat.
Nice response although missed the point! Not going any further with this so I'll go short & sweet. BMW 3 Series has always been bread & butter, it's here to stay. I'll continue to purchase true "M" cars as long as they're manufactured in Germany, when built elsewhere? Bye BMW. And YES I realize how BMW along with other manufacturers operate, sorry, I'm not grateful. Unfortunately all about escalating greed & profits...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #138
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nice response although missed the point! Not going any further with this so I'll go short & sweet. BMW 3 Series has always been bread & butter, it's here to stay. I'll continue to purchase true "M" cars as long as they're manufactured in Germany, when built elsewhere? Bye BMW. And YES I realize how BMW along with other manufacturers operate, sorry, I'm not grateful. Unfortunately all about escalating greed & profits...
Well, I haven't heard of any plans to build m-cars any where else, so you're all set for the foreseeable future!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #139
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I haven't heard of any plans to build m-cars any where else, so you're all set for the foreseeable future!
That's the good news, had to be something
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #140
E36 PWR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G07 X7, F30 335i, E46 M3

photoshopped some simple mods. completely changes the look of the car IMO
Appreciate 2
Junni88.00
Mii392.50
      04-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #141
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 PWR View Post
photoshopped some simple mods. completely changes the look of the car IMO
Needs quads!!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #142
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

G20 Luggage Compartment Mat

Trunk mat installation after removing space-saver spare. Please note there are openings around battery area in trunk floor. Either place OEM trunk liner on trunk floor, or cover the top of battery area with a piece of sturdy board. Then place the trunk mat over it.
Name:  g20_sss_trunk_mat_1.png
Views: 3829
Size:  1.81 MB

51477438290 OEM Luggage Compartment Floor Carpet
51472461166 OEM Luggage Compartment Mat
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #143
arlsq
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i M Sport

Mobile phone

Congrats for the new car. It looks amazing.
I drove the new G20 330i M twice and noticed a potential problem but had no time to clarify during the test drivings: the place where the mobile phone is supposed to stay seems to be too confined without visibility to the GPS satellites, so how will applications like Waze or Google Maps behave? Is the car´s antenna used when the phone is connected through an USB cable?
Any opinion from the new owners who already get the car about this point?
Best,
Appreciate 1
Mii392.50
      04-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #144
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

BMW 6NW Wireless Charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlsq View Post
Congrats for the new car. It looks amazing.
I drove the new G20 330i M twice and noticed a potential problem but had no time to clarify during the test drivings: the place where the mobile phone is supposed to stay seems to be too confined without visibility to the GPS satellites, so how will applications like Waze or Google Maps behave? Is the car´s antenna used when the phone is connected through an USB cable?
Any opinion from the new owners who already get the car about this point?
Best,
When optional 6NW (Wireless Charging) is equipped, the following capabilities will be provided based on owner manual. From my own experience, I didn't notice any signal boost.

Quote:
Wireless Charging Tray

The wireless charging tray enables the following functions to be performed without cables:
  • Charging the rechargeable battery of a mobile phone with Qi capability and of other mobile devices, which support the Qi standard.
  • Connect the mobile phone to the external antenna. Depending on the country, this provides for better network reception and a consistent reproduction quality.

LTE-Compensator
  • Your car is equipped with a wireless charging tray (WCA) to charge your mobile phone and connect it to the mobile network. To ensure the best possible connection a signal booster (LTE-Compensator) is used in conjunction with the WCA.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #145
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

I spend quite some time in a fully loaded 330i with all the track goodies OP got optioned. Drove it hard in sport mode and not.
I've owned 325 E90 for 8 years and now been F80 owner for 3 years.

What I like about the new 3 er is exterior design. Interior design only slightly changed since f30 although it got more roomier.
What I did not like - weak motor, very weak.

My recommendation is not to fall for 330. Get basic 340 over loaded 330 if budget is tight. And if you are 'the driver' get used m3/4 F8x with CP.
      04-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #146
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I spend quite some time in a fully loaded 330i with all the track goodies OP got optioned. Drove it hard in sport mode and not.

What I like about the new 3 er is exterior design. Interior design only slightly changed since f30 although it got more roomier.

My recommendation is not to fall for 330. Get basic 340 over loaded 330 if budget is tight. And if you are 'the driver' get used m3/4 F8x with CP.
Without a question M340i RWD for about 59-60K is the ticket. When the first posts started appearing about 330 for 56K was insanity
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #147
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

^ Each model 330, 340, or M has its own target audience or usage for different reasons. Some preferred fuel economy model while sharing similar handling dynamics, others preferred more powerful motor under the hood. If one enjoys the car, then it's the one. No one will be paying MSRP for fully loaded model regardless model designation, admittedly BMW messed up on pricing/packaging structure. Find a dealer who would offer good deal, go through vehicle inquiry sheet thoroughly, and don't solely rely on pricing guide or online configurator on final pricing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #148
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post
^ Each model 330, 340, or M has its own target audience or usage for different reasons. Some preferred fuel economy model while sharing similar handling dynamics, others preferred more powerful motor under the hood. If one enjoys the car, then it's the one. No one will be paying MSRP for fully loaded model regardless model designation, admittedly BMW messed up on pricing/packaging structure. Find a dealer who would offer good deal, go through vehicle inquiry sheet thoroughly, and don't solely rely on pricing guide or online configurator on final pricing.
Exactly, the 30i is a perfect combination of fuel economy and still offering sufficient power. Got 15% off mrsp, m340i would be about 8-9% so that makes a substantial difference.
Appreciate 1
Mii392.50
      04-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #149
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Quote:

Without a question M340i RWD for about 59-60K is the ticket. When the first posts started appearing about 330 for 56K was insanity
Yep, especially when f8x m3/4 still under warranty can be had for upper 40 low 50k.
      04-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #150
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Yep, especially when f8x m3/4 still under warranty can be had for upper 40 low 50k.
My dealer has a low mileage white 2016 M4 CP, if the M340i numbers still don’t work, guess which direction I’m going! And I detest white cars!

First world problems!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #151
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
My dealer has a low mileage white 2016 M4 CP, if the M340i numbers still don’t work, guess which direction I’m going! And I detest white cars!

First world problems!
Man, while the new gen M3/4 will be a better M vs f8x, the regular 3 series has nothing to beat the current M3 except for larger interior space and slightly better idrive. If anyone makes a choice based on idrive them M/performance car is not for them.
      04-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #152
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

G20 Missing feature on A/C Memory Button

Memory buttons can be applied to Synchronize A/C between driver and passenger side. It would be nice if BMW can update software support on A/C memory button as G20 does not support separate A/C button to turn on/off on a fly. One would need to go into Menu A/C button, flip through the soft menu then select from the A/C checkbox, or say "Hello BMW" to turn on/off A/C!

Synchronize (Press and hold down to save)
Name:  g20_memory_buttons_sync.png
Views: 3827
Size:  1.62 MB

A/C (Unable to save)
Name:  g20_memory_buttons_ac.png
Views: 3760
Size:  1.62 MB
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #153
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

G20 OEM Space-Saver Spare Included Parts

What's included in OEM space-saver spare option.

- Continental 135/80 17R spare tire and wheel, interior rim diameter measures at around 17" (431mm)
- Trunk tool kit tray for all jack tools
- Vehicle lifting jack
- Ratchet for vehicle jack
- Wheel chock
- Lug wrench

The spare alloy wheel came with white color from Uniwheels (one of BMW OEM wheel suppliers)

Note: the spare may not fit G20 M-Performance 18" (457mm) braking system.

Name:  g20_sss_6.png
Views: 3757
Size:  2.03 MB
Name:  g20_sss_4.png
Views: 3802
Size:  1.79 MB
Name:  g20_sss_5.png
Views: 3593
Size:  1.80 MB
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      04-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #154