Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD for monitoring engine without a MHD tune

08-23-2023, 07:23 PM   #1
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

MHD for monitoring engine without a MHD tune

I have a G20 M340iX 2020. It is already tuned but NOT with MHD.

What I do want to do is monitor some parameters like timing and boost to see if this tune is pushing my engine too hard for the fuel I am using.

MHD have told me that I can just buy the MHD monitor license and it will monitor my engine, however they said not all parameters can be monitored if I don't have a MHD tune. (They didn't tell me what I wouldn't be able to do).

Has anyone used MHD monitoring without a MHD tune (either stock or with a tune from another company). Can you use it to monitor ignition timing per cylinder and boost / WGDC type parameters?

Essentially I am trying to check my engine and see if the tune I have is pushing my fuel too hard - essentially see if it pulls timing or boost.

Would this work, or is there an alternative monitoring software I can use to achieve this?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: MHD have confirmed that things like ignition timing per cylinder cannot be monitored using their software without an MHD tune.

I am curious if there is other software I can use for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:05 PM   #3
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I use Bootmod3 to monitor the ignition timing and have confirmed it works on non-BM3 maps
Appreciate 1
cyam188.50
      08-25-2023, 08:59 PM   #4
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so I guess I've answered my own question here.

- MHD Monitoring - does work but not all the parameters unless you have a MHD tune (bottom line, not useful)

- BM3 I spoke with them. Monitoring does work without a BM3 tune - but you have to buy the full license, BM3 did not clarify if all monitoring works on a non BM3 tuned engine though. Bottom line, too expensive just for monitoring.

- Bimmerlink: so this works. It can monitor ignition timing - requested vs actual, boost, knock sensor value per cylinder etc. And it can log this information while driving. Cost is quite cheap to get a Bimerlink license. Plus it has a lot of other useful functions - like being able to read every single module and see what error codes are stored and clear any as well.

So I did a run with Bimmerlink. I setup a dashboard and when I was ready I could hit the record button it recorded for as long as I wanted, then I could download the log file through the app as a csv file and analyze it.

So Bimmerlink works a treat. Maybe not as nice or quite as good as the MHD one, but seeing that's not an option this does what I need.
Appreciate 0